• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harringworth Viaduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadhatter

Just a quick question: is this officially closed, a freight only line or very limited passenger service please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 66's

Freight only, apart from the occasional railtour and 2 trains to/from St.P to Melton Mowbray.

John @ home

Established Member
"Welland Viaduct, also known as Harringworth Viaduct and Seaton Viaduct, ... is generally used for the passage of freight trains and steam train outings. In early 2009 a single daily passenger service was introduced by East Midlands Trains between Melton Mowbray and St Pancras via Corby. This is the first regular daily passenger service to operate across the viaduct since the 1960s. The viaduct is also used as a diversionary route for East Midlands Trains mainline services using the Midland Main Line route."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welland_Viaduct

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Freight only, apart from the occasional railtour and 2 trains to/from St.P to Melton Mowbray.

Regular EMT
1M06 09 26 Corby to Derby
1M61 18 00 St Pancras to Melton Mowbray
1P10 06 00 Melton Mowbray to St Pancras
1P69 16 36 Derby to S tPancras

Mugby

Established Member
Does the 18.00 St Pancras to Melton Mowbray stable there and form the 06.00 morning departure?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A very swift check on RTT reveals that it pops off to derby Etches Park for the evening.

CarltonA

I will be in the Kettering area at new year. Has anyone got any tips for viewing the viaduct? I have got a car and will also have my walking boots.

A0wen

On Moderation

thewiltog

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I will be in the Kettering area at new year. Has anyone got any tips for viewing the viaduct? I have got a car and will also have my walking boots.

While you're in the area, if you're into tracing old railway lines, you might wish to visit the old Seaton Junction station just over a mile from the viaduct. The platforms, footbridge and some station buildings have survived, albeit not open to the public (unless, like I did, you ask the owner of the adjoining scrapyard nicely.)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...4!1sL0I3OWa3cVEz51fvvd79Gw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's even a roadside fingerpost showing the way even though the station closed in 1966!

2451307_e8bba693.jpg

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
My uncle was Vicar of Seaton in the late 50s/early 60s. Used to enjoy visits as an enthusiast as the house was alongside the line by the station on the now defunct route from Rugby Midland to Peterborough. Fine views of Harringworth Viaduct wjen trains from St.Pancras to Nottingham and Leeds used to cross to Melton Jn thence via Edwalton (now closed) to Nottingham. I hope nobody suggests it's re-opening on the St. Pancras to Leeds thread.

Established Member
Fine views of Harringworth Viaduct when trains from St.Pancras to Nottingham and Leeds used to cross to Melton Jn thence via Edwalton (now closed) to Nottingham. I hope nobody suggests it's re-opening on the St. Pancras to Leeds thread.

And some trains from St. Pancras to Manchester Central - the 12.25 from St. Pancras went that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.