• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has anyone else noticed that grotty state of ATW's 175s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poshbakerloo

Has anyone else noticed that grotty state of ATW's 175s?

I pretty regularly travel on them, not for very long tho, Stockport-Oxford Road...but sometimes I have noticed is how messy they have become inside. Particularly in the vestibule areas...The wall panels are all scratched and marked, and the carpets are pretty awful!

Its not that the trains aren't getting cleaned (Like a ranted about Northern Rails 323s) But that they are just getting shabby inside thru wear etc and need a refurb! Any plans for this happening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
There was a thread on this a while back about ATWs 158s being the same, and a poster had commented it was due to sand. There was much debate as to whether sand could cause such dirtiness.

devon_metro

Established Member
Arriva has no plans to refurbish any of their fleet, all of which are in dire conditions apart from the Valleys fleet.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I still find the 175's comfortable to travel on, but they are getting very scruffy internally, particularly around the vestibules.

Pumbaa

Established Member
They'll hopefully get a refresh when the franchise is re-let.

TDK

Established Member
They'll hopefully get a refresh when the franchise is re-let.

Not if ATW keep the franchise, ATW are planning this London run and not refurbing their stock for the regular Welsh passengers as they call themselves the Welsh franchise, I think maybe somewhere someone at ATW has their priorities wrong but then again I think that ATW concentrate most of their efforts South and West of Cardiff and not North

Vulcan

I was half expecting this to start with a poll of 'yes I have noticed' vs 'no I hadn't noticed' Your getting lazy withe polls Poshbakerloo! :D;)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Not if ATW keep the franchise, ATW are planning this London run and not refurbing their stock for the regular Welsh passengers as they call themselves the Welsh franchise, I think maybe somewhere someone at ATW has their priorities wrong but then again I think that ATW concentrate most of their efforts South and West of Cardiff and not North

No need to turn the thread into another S Wales v N Wales argument! We get the same 175's down here - unless they keep a special pool of the worst examples especially for the North Wales coast!

I was half expecting this to start with a poll of 'yes I have noticed' vs 'no I hadn't noticed' Your getting lazy withe polls Poshbakerloo! :D;)

Perhaps he's gone off them, anyway, I vote 'Yes I have'!

Drimnagh Road

Yep they are getting very grubby, then again with the very long diagrams and short turn arounds it doesn't surprise me.

Getting near the ten year old mark, and due a refurbishment inside. Still not as bad as the ATW 158s, and at least the air-con works.

I suppose that's the problem when new trains are introduced, unless they are maintained to "as new" standards, they eventually become as bad as the trains they replaced. I remember been very impressed with the 175 interior when they came out compared to the 156s / 158s that used to operate on the coast, now the 175s are as uninspiring as the the mid 80s units

Philip

On Moderation
The 175's were worse inside in 2006/07 - they were a bit tatty like now but also most of the fold down tables had been ripped out by that time. For some reason ATW put them all back in once they stopped leasing the 11 units per day to TPE. Did TPE have a problem with fold down tables or something?

I miss the older liveries! The First livery looked better on them than the standard Arriva one does but 175008 and 175110 also had eye-catching liveries especially when the sun was out. Those names as well were 'interesting'.

Anyone know whether they use the hydro-dynamic brake at the moment?

Drimnagh Road

Quick question, Are 175s cleared Wolves-Shrewsbury? And if so, are they booked for any services?

Any Holyhead-Birmingham trains I've seen are normally in the hands of 158s with the 175s generally operating the Cardiffs.

I know when they used to work for First North Western the Birmingham-Holyheads all ran via Stafford.

Cheers

dave_wm

Because the Birmingham - Holyheads interwork with the Birmingham - Aberystwyth/Pwllhelis (basically a train from Holyhead forms a train to Aberystwyth when it arrives at Birmingham), they can't be formed of 175s. I think they're cleared between Wolves and Shrews though, but don't take that as gospel!

TDK

Established Member
Because the Birmingham - Holyheads interwork with the Birmingham - Aberystwyth/Pwllhelis (basically a train from Holyhead forms a train to Aberystwyth when it arrives at Birmingham), they can't be formed of 175s. I think they're cleared between Wolves and Shrews though, but don't take that as gospel!

They are cleared all the way to International from Salop. I travelled on a 175 yesterday and the condition inside was appauling, thread bare carpests and seats, not deep cleaned for months, there was grime everywhere. All is needed really is seat cover replacement, carpet replacement and a good old fashioned scrub. I really can't see ATW keeping the franchise as they have made too many mistakes along the way, big mistakes that upset people in high places. I am not going to list these as they are sensitive however I will be surprised if the Welsh franchise is run by Arriva when the franchise expires.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I think it's fair to say the 175's are rather damn tatty now, but I still find them one of the more comfortable units to travel on. I'd rather a tatty looking 175 to a squeaky 170 (as all of the 170's i've been on seem to squeak something wicked)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I like the 175's, I find them to be very comfortable with plenty of space, despite the wear and tear. But the overhead rack is too small for my holdall and my small rucksack! Unless there's nothing in it! That's the main drawback to the 175's for me!

Ivo

Established Member
Until I first used one, I used to quite like the 175s. They looked stunning on the outside (probably because they are one of the few things, another being a 150, that the Arriva livery actually seems to suit well) and were used on impressive routes (Cardiff to Manchester for instance). But then I used one, and my impression changed. Do they still have First seats from when they were with FNW, or is it just me?

Drimnagh Road

175s never had first class seating.

Edit, realise Greenback meant First branded seating, apologies.

Last edited:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
yeah apart from the exteriors and bloody announcer nothing has changed really since FNW days, the seats are starting to look quite faded now.

Yes they really are in need of refresh, they are very tatty inside. The only thing ATW has done is take out 4 seats in Coach B for a "buggy area" (as if thats needed, given the huge bike/disabled space in the units). They've not cleaned them or done any seat recoverings. And unless the WAG intervene, that will be the case until 2018. ATW are a prime example of how *not* to do 20 year franchises; no requirements for anything, so ATW can do sweet FA, just watch the tills ring. Any long franchise needs a fair few break clauses, specific investment requirements etc. I'm amazed no-one did this when specifying the ATW franchise this time around.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Yes they really are in need of refresh, they are very tatty inside. The only thing ATW has done is take out 4 seats in Coach B for a "buggy area" (as if thats needed, given the huge bike/disabled space in the units).

Can come in handy sometimes given during rush hour services alot of people are standing. I know people would rather seats but then again alot of people want to get home at the same time.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes they really are in need of refresh, they are very tatty inside. The only thing ATW has done is take out 4 seats in Coach B for a "buggy area" (as if thats needed, given the huge bike/disabled space in the units). They've not cleaned them or done any seat recoverings. And unless the WAG intervene, that will be the case until 2018. ATW are a prime example of how *not* to do 20 year franchises; no requirements for anything, so ATW can do sweet FA, just watch the tills ring. Any long franchise needs a fair few break clauses, specific investment requirements etc. I'm amazed no-one did this when specifying the ATW franchise this time around.

Yes, the All-Wales franchise must have been written by idiots! There doesn't seem any way to get ATW to do anything that's not in the franchise (except try and run to London!)

Can come in handy sometimes given during rush hour services alot of people are standing. I know people would rather seats but then again alot of people want to get home at the same time.

It seems to me that there's more room to stand in the 175's than, for example the 158's. Which is handy in the afternoon peak!

Philip

On Moderation
The seats look a bit tatty but they're not too bad, still comfy with leg room which is the main thing. They could do with being cleaned but does it matter that much whether the seats, carpet and decor are still in First colours? Not many are bothered about the train livery either, is repainting of trains into corporate colours essential?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
No, I don;t think so Philip. I do think that the interiors should be looked after though. After all, if you go into a tatty pub or shop with marks all over the walls, damaged furniture, it hardly inspires confidence in the business!

poshbakerloo

I like the 175's, I find them to be very comfortable with plenty of space, despite the wear and tear. But the overhead rack is too small for my holdall and my small rucksack! Unless there's nothing in it! That's the main drawback to the 175's for me!

The seats are very good and so is the leg room! I also like the internal layout and the external appearance! Its just a shame the carpet in some is almost thread bare!

Status
Not open for further replies.