• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has the NRM finally lost the plot? (Spacecraft going on display)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
The space exhibit was not permanent, it moved on to other venues. There is a limit to where it could have been displayed and the NRM, having good footfall, seemed ideal. The heritage movement is full of anomalies such as building, locomotives and rolling stock operating in places where they never were. The NRM is an educational based place, there is far more to it than cold locomotives places here and there. It has to be accepted that different generations see the NRM is different ways; come back in thirty years and see what is there then - assuming it is still there, of course.
The NRM is free to enter, restricting some of its activities could lead to entry charges being made.

I completely agree, I think plenty of museums have occasional exhibits outside their core remit, and this was an entirely appropriate thing for them to host, given the excellent space, facilities, location and footfall of the NRM.

Too many enthusiasts seem desperate to maintain some sort of "authenticity" and "purity" that is so exclusive it will make these places die.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
We'll I would tell them not to go to a railway museum and go to the National Space museum instead.
So attracting new people to the hobby is of no interest. If everyone had that attitude the hobby would die and everything like heritage railways with it. Imagine if a heritage railway turned away volunteers because they weren't intrerested in railways!

Harbornite

Established Member
Okay I see like this. Have Trains ever gone into out orbit. No they haven't so what has that got to do with it in a museum that has the title 'Railway Museum' :rolleyes:

Erm, I think you'll find they have

NASA_Railroad_locomotive_3_%282%29.jpg

(NASA locomotive)

;)

Harbornite

Established Member
Too many enthusiasts seem desperate to maintain some sort of "authenticity" and "purity" that is so exclusive it will make these places die.

Indeed. People like Nat67 have a very one-dimensional and boring outlook on things.

]We have some bad news from the NRM.

‘They’ have decided without any consultation to the group, that D9002 ‘THE KINGS OWN YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY’ is to become a static only exhibit, along with the rest of the diesels, with the expectation of the shunters
33116, D6700 and 41001.

The group is extremely disappointed with this decision, and although they see Koyli as in their master plan(a key exhibit), the group see this as a massive setback after all the hard work the volunteers put into the locomotive. Along with the donations from the many of you that have contributed to the locomotive.

https://www.facebook.com/130242410371447/posts/2258895774172756?sfns=mo

Last edited by a moderator:
We have some bad news from the NRM.

‘They’ have decided without any consultation to the group, that D9002 ‘THE KINGS OWN YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY’ is to become a static only exhibit, along with the rest of the diesels, with the expectation of the shunters
33116, D6700 and 41001.

The group is extremely disappointed with this decision, and although they see Koyli as in their master plan(a key exhibit), the group see this as a massive setback after all the hard work the volunteers put into the locomotive. Along with the donations from the many of you that have contributed to the locomotive.

https://www.facebook.com/130242410371447/posts/2258895774172756?sfns=mo
Your post isn't clear (and I don't do Fudbook) in a couple of aspects... "with the expectation of the shunters..." what?

Also, what about 33116, D6700 and 41001? I know 33116 and 41001 are on the GCR and GCR(N) respectively... does this meant they will stay where they are and operational? And what about D6700? Where is it and is it operational?

Please clarify! :)

Your post isn't clear (and I don't do Fudbook) in a couple of aspects... "with the expectation of the shunters..." what?

Also, what about 33116, D6700 and 41001? I know 33116 and 41001 are on the GCR and GCR(N) respectively... does this meant they will stay where they are and operational? And what about D6700? Where is it and is it operational?

Please clarify! :)

Just taken from what has been said on Facebook

Peter Kelford

I agree - it is only temporary and the NRM is part of the larger SMG after all. We are very fortunate to have so much of our heritage available in so many locations and formats.

Peterborough Cathederal had the capsule on display. It's not got anything to do with religion.

MonsooN

I visited the NRM with my family last weekend and there were definitely a couple of locos missing from the great hall. The thing that was the most popular with my children though was the interactive Crossrail display. They enjoyed being able to touch, explore and listen to the video guides that were around and they were talking about it afterwards too.

I agree with what the majority have said here in that the NRM has to try to target the mass audience and enthusiasts of the future. I enjoyed my visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.