• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hassocks to London Victoria Season Ticket - permitted routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavyCrocket

Hi there,

I have (since it became the cheapest non FCC ticket) an Annual season from Hassocks to Victoria. Can anyone tell me please what stations/route I would be able to use it from (bar the obvious Clapham Junction!) please?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
At a guess London Bridge, Charing Cross, Waterloo, Waterloo East and Cannon Street - I would be surprised if you couldn't go to any of them, just don't try going past Blackfriers, but someone else will give a more definitive answer.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
And of course, you may alight at any station between Hassocks and the London Terminal...

DavyCrocket

And of course, you may alight at any station between Hassocks and the London Terminal...

That's what I'm unsure of. As this is only to Victoria I'd have thought it okay to use it via Norwood Junction, Crystal Palace etc. But officially how toward London Bridge could I use it?

When one of their decent tweeters is only I may ask there too!

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I presume your ticket is something like this -to Victoria specifically, not London Terminals.

Three Bridges appears to be the appropriate routeing point for Hassocks for this ticket.
In which case, you can go to Three Bridges, then onwards on the mapped routes on maps:
LB
LB+SL
SC

If you download the Maps and go to these pages, you can use any route you can trace on a single map (or combination of maps for LB+SL, changing maps exactly once at a station named on both LB and SL) without going through the same station twice.

As you have a season ticket, valid for unlimited journeys, you can switch between any mapped route at any intermediate station. (I'm not sure if the train has to stop at such a station)

LB includes a route via London Bridge, but wouldn't allow you to go to Charing Cross, Cannon Street or any station north of Blackfriars, as there is no way to do a complete journey Hassocks - Victoria via these stations without passing through the same station twice.

You can also use any route not longer than 3 miles more than the shortest route that regular passenger services can take (with no doubling back through the same station twice), calculated using distances in the National Rail Timetable, which is a somewhat laborious process to calculate.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Can we ask how much you pay for your ticket? This is to confirm exactly what ticket you have, price does not determine validity.

TP

DavyCrocket

I presume your ticket is something like this -to Victoria specifically, not London Terminals.

Three Bridges appears to be the appropriate routeing point for Hassocks for this ticket.
In which case, you can go to Three Bridges, then onwards on the mapped routes on maps:
LB
LB+SL
SC

If you download the Maps and go to these pages, you can use any route you can trace on a single map (or combination of maps for LB+SL, changing maps exactly once at a station named on both LB and SL) without going through the same station twice.

As you have a season ticket, valid for unlimited journeys, you can switch between any mapped route at any intermediate station. (I'm not sure if the train has to stop at such a station)

LB includes a route via London Bridge, but wouldn't allow you to go to Charing Cross, Cannon Street or any station north of Blackfriars, as there is no way to do a complete journey Hassocks - Victoria via these stations without passing through the same station twice.

You can also use any route not longer than 3 miles more than the shortest route that regular passenger services can take (with no doubling back through the same station twice), calculated using distances in the National Rail Timetable, which is a somewhat laborious process to calculate.

Thanks. Ill have a read of this in a bit!

I pay £3468 (2012 price) it's a Victoria ticket valid on any operator. Sadly I can't make use of the 75% off FCC ticket :(

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
In which case, I should imagine, it is the one referenced by the above poster, maniacmartin - in which case, his post applies.

TP

DavyCrocket

So if I'm reading that right, I can travel to London Bridge if I am then doubling back to Peckham Rye? I have a ticket I can use north of London Bridge...

soil

Established Member
Your ticket is valid on pretty much all stations inside the sector bounded by

Waterloo/Victoria - Clapham Junction - Wimbledon -Epsom in the west
Epsom - Sutton - West Croydon in the south
London Bridge - New Cross Gate - East Croydon in the east
plus London Bridge - Waterloo East, London Bridge - Blackfriars in the north

and then on the mainline from East Croydon south to Hasocks.

Since it is a season, you are able to double back as much as you wish in the course of a journey, provided that your overall journey can be split into any number of individual journeys, including starting or finish short, that are on permitted routes between Hassocks and Victoria.

For this reason, a Hassocks - Victoria ticket is of course valid from London Bridge to Peckham Rye.

DavyCrocket

Saw a revenue person at Gatwick earlier and he said I must travel through the most direct route - which even I know is nonsense. Then that I could go to London Bridge but via Victoria! Do clearly he's not too up on it... :-/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've now gotten their best tweeter to tell me on twitter that its allowed!
Wanted something in writing for when I end up in a conflab with a revenue person!

Thanks for your helps too!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So if I'm reading that right, I can travel to London Bridge if I am then doubling back to Peckham Rye? I have a ticket I can use north of London Bridge...

London Bridge is permitted as you can go to Victoria via London Bridge, Waterloo East, Waterloo, then Clapham Junction.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Though I'd bet it wasn't the intention of fares setters for the ticket to be valid to London Bridge ;)

soil

Established Member
As they're in the London Group of which they all are?

Because you can trace a route on map LB from Three Bridges (the relevant routeing point) via those stations to Victoria without doubling back.

London Group is not relevant, as the ticket is specifically to Victoria.

A ticket to London Terminals would have additional validity as follows:

Waterloo East to Charing Cross
London Bridge to Cannon Street
Blackfriars to City Thameslink

i.e. not very much more for the extra £300 or so a year.

DavyCrocket

Because you can trace a route on map LB from Three Bridges (the relevant routeing point) via those stations to Victoria without doubling back.

Wonderful! Ill have to start making use of this!
Thanks - I was finding this incredibly confusing!

What does this mean: only one ticket?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Wonderful! Ill have to start making use of this!
Thanks - I was finding this incredibly confusing!

What does this mean tbough:

Hassocks (HSK) to London Victoria (VIC)
Available Standard Class Adult Season Tickets (Travel is allowed by any route option shown by the Journey Planner where the journey can be made using only one ticket.)

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm not sure where you got that quotation from, but I suspect its National Rail Enquiries. What it's trying to say is that you can use any itinerary shown by its Journey Planner, as long as that itinerary isn't showing a message in the journey planner stating that more than 1 ticket is required when you click on it.

Because you have a season ticket however, which permits unlimited journeys which can all be started and stopped short, you can also take any route made up of parts from various itineraries cut and pasted together as it were.

Even then, NRE will not show long and cumbersome routes such as via London Bridge, as it will try to find routes to get you to Victoria as fast as possible. This does not mean they are necessarily not allowed though. The mapped routes are also valid.

DavyCrocket

I'm not sure where you got that quotation from, but I suspect its National Rail Enquiries. What it's trying to say is that you can use any itinerary shown by its Journey Planner, as long as that itinerary isn't showing a message in the journey planner stating that more than 1 ticket is required when you click on it.

Because you have a season ticket however, which permits unlimited journeys which can all be started and stopped short, you can also take any route made up of parts from various itineraries cut and pasted together as it were.

Even then, NRE will not show long and cumbersome routes such as via London Bridge, as it will try to find routes to get you to Victoria as fast as possible. This does not mean they are necessarily not allowed though. The mapped routes are also valid.
Yeah it's from the Season Ticket blurb for this ticket from the website.

DavyCrocket

Spoke with a knowledgable FCC Revenue person who said that this ticket came up on their team meeting and they're of course valid!

I've spent about £25 in the past when I've wanted to go to or from London Bridge - no need to!

Status
Not open for further replies.