• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hatfield 17.10.2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Thinking of all of those - friends, colleagues and passengers whose lives were changed forever by the Hatfield rail tragedy 12 years ago today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
And ten years since Potters Bar; where I was just minutes after the crash (not on the railway that day, but about to drive under the bridge that was all cordoned off by the emergency services). I didn't even know what had happened until I got home.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
It's odd to think that I now live not 3 miles from the Hatfield crash site.

RIP.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
+1

Just over 13 years since the Ladbroke Grove rail crash. That day was my first day in England after I had come home from the Philippines where I had been born in November the year earlier and our plane landed in Heathrow (Or so according to my dad) so potentially I may have been travelling on one of the trains that crashed. Highly unlikely as we are up north but always possible.

My thoughts to those affected

Temple Meads

Established Member
I'm a bit young to be able to remember this, but nevertheless my thoughts are with the people who lost their lives, and those they left behind, plus those who were also affected/involved by the crash(es).

jon0844

Veteran Member
While I doubt it's any consolation for the victims, it is lucky that the train stood up so well and that it led to a massive overhaul of railway safety in terms of maintenance and monitoring. As such, their deaths were not in vain.

I'm not naive enough to think that there aren't still going to be problems, but I still think it's a lot better than it might have been.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I walked past the memorial today, so went in to remember the dead. Very sobering to see the flowers there as the trains shot past.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.