• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have CrossCountry borrowed a Voyager from Virgin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn1975

Hi,

I apologise if this is a silly question but I was at Tamworth on Wednesday and I think I saw a VT liveried Voyager on the Cross Country line?

I could be wrong or I might have missed something obvious.

Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Could it have been running back towards Oxley / Birmingham from Central Rivers Depot?

sonic2009

Established Member
Roughly what time? As MattE2010 has said, Virgin do run Voyagers from Euston to Central Rivers or Birmingham to Central Rivers.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

sn1975

Many thanks - I was just curious, thinking XC have had to borrow a Voyager from VT - it was about 1525-1535 last Wednesday - I'm still learning and it hadn't occurred to me that it was an ECS move.

Minilad

Established Member
We can no longer drive VT 221s as we don't sign the tilting mechanism. We can't even couple a XC and VT one together to run ECS

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
We can no longer drive VT 221s as we don't sign the tilting mechanism. We can't even couple a XC and VT one together to run ECS

Can the tile not be isolated? How did Virgin work 220s and 221s in multiple before the division between XC and VT?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
How is that relevant to The drivers on XC not signing tilting 221s?

Separate to the drivers signing the stock, I was thinking that a 221 with tilt enabled would have problems working in multiple with a 220 unless it could be isolated?

Yew

Established Member
It makes sense I suppose, without tilt XC's 221's could almost be defined as a subclass of their own.

Darandio

Established Member
Separate to the drivers signing the stock, I was thinking that a 221 with tilt enabled would have problems working in multiple with a 220 unless it could be isolated?

Don't they just have an in cab isolation switch?

Minilad

Established Member
Yes they can be isolated as indeed they used to have to be when a 221 and 220 worked together. But you still have to know about the systems even if isolated. And we no longer have the competency

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Yes they can be isolated as indeed they used to have to be when a 221 and 220 worked together. But you still have to know about the systems even if isolated. And we no longer have the competency

Ah that makes sense, I suppose you never know when the isolation might fail! Many thanks!

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ah that makes sense, I suppose you never know when the isolation might fail! Many thanks!

I'm getting more of a "you have to be able to isolate it in the first place and without tilt training this isn't a standard task for drivers" vibe rather than an "isolation might fail" one, but I'm ready to be corrected.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I'm getting more of a "you have to be able to isolate it in the first place and without tilt training this isn't a standard task for drivers" vibe rather than an "isolation might fail" one, but I'm ready to be corrected.

Thats true. I was thinking of a situation where a driver who signs tilt bring a 221 to a location where it is coupled to a 220. They then isolate the tilt and leave. The non tilt signing driver then takes both units forward.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Thats true. I was thinking of a situation where a driver who signs tilt bring a 221 to a location where it is coupled to a 220. They then isolate the tilt and leave. The non tilt signing driver then takes both units forward.

But the VT 221 wouldn't tilt without TASS on the track anyway (ie not on XC lines except COV-MAN).

Darandio

Established Member
But then surely the tilt works on a mechanical system, and you need to sign and have some degree of knowledge if it fails? At least in what procedures to follow.

Kind of brings memories of the APT with a coach half cocked!

Status
Not open for further replies.