• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have I purchased an open return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent. I found out today that a friend of mine has been moved into hospice care in Cardiff, after unsuccessful chemotherapy. I've purchased a return from Paddington to Cardiff so that I can visit him, leaving tomorrow and probably but not necessarily returning on Monday. This is what the confirmation email says:

Journey: 1 London Terminals to Cardiff Central
Ticket type: First Class Off Peak Return Valid on off-peak services. Return travel any day within 1 month.
Route: Via Any Permitted Route
Outward journey: 9 Jul 2017
departs London Paddington at 14:37 travel by Train service provider Great Western Railway to station Cardiff Central arrives 17:02 ( seats reserved: Coach: L Seats: [snipped] )

Return journey: 10 Jul 2017
departs Cardiff Central at 13:26 travel by Train service provider Great Western Railway to station London Paddington arrives 15:39 ( seats reserved: Coach: L Seats: [snipped] )

So I think that I've got reserved seats on specific trains on Sunday and Monday, but that if I stay longer I can use the return ticket on any off-peak train as long as it's within one month. Is that correct? To be honest I don't really care if I have to buy another ticket if I stay beyond Monday, but I'd like to avoid arguing with revenue protection on the way back, and my brain isn't working properly at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The ticket you have bought isn't what used to be called an "open return" however it is still very flexible. The return portion can be used on at offpeak hours at any time within a month (it will expire on the 8th July) but the outward portion must be used on the date shown.

The return portion can be used before 4.30 am and after 8.10 am and any time at weekends or bank holidays.

You don't have to travel on the trains which you are booked however you won't have a seat booked, although I wouldn't envisage this to be a problem.

All the best to you and your friend.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, your ticket is valid within one month. You just won't have a reserved seat.

James H

So I think that I've got reserved seats on specific trains on Sunday and Monday, but that if I stay longer I can use the return ticket on any off-peak train as long as it's within one month. Is that correct?

Spot on

Muzer

Established Member
The ticket you have bought isn't what used to be called an "open return" however it is still very flexible. The return portion can be used on at offpeak hours at any time within a month (it will expire on the 8th July) but the outward portion must be used on the date shown.

The return portion can be used before 4.30 am and after 8.10 am and any time at weekends or bank holidays.

You don't have to travel on the trains which you are booked however you won't have a seat booked, although I wouldn't envisage this to be a problem.

All the best to you and your friend.
Bear in mind that many booking engines now use the term "open return" as a term for any period (ie not "Day") return. Given I think that's a reasonably sensible meaning for it, can't we stop being picky about what it used to mean ten years ago?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Bear in mind that many booking engines now use the term "open return" as a term for any period (ie not "Day") return. Given I think that's a reasonably sensible meaning for it, can't we stop being picky about what it used to mean ten years ago?

No. Because some ticket office staff still refer to Anytime Returns as Open Returns and Off-Peak Returns as Saver Returns. I have asked for an Anytime Return and actually been told that that's wrong and I should ask for an "Open Return" because they thought I wanted an Anytime Day Return. When I was given the ticket I pointed out that it said "Anytime Return" on it, and was told that that's not important and it says exactly the same thing on an Anytime Day Return, and that if I won't ask for my tickets correctly I shouldn't expect to be sold the right one.

As so many staff continue to insist on using the legacy terms we can't re-assingn them to meaning something else.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How am I supposed to know what the OP meant by the term "open return?" For all I know they might want to travel back to London at say 6am or have an overnight break of journey in Bristol on the outward.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Starmill, I use the term 'Anytime Month Return' at ticket offices to distinguish from Anytime Day Returns. I know it's not the proper name, but I think its clearest. Open Return is a term that has a few different meanings now in the rail industry and is best avoided.

Starmill

Veteran Member
That's quite a good idea actually. It's amusing that using something that's not the actual name of the ticket is clearer than saying what it's called!

I do wonder if 'Anytime Month Return' might occasionally be taken to mean a monthly season ticket though?

Status
Not open for further replies.