• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Headcode Lookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

First class

Established Member
Hi, can anyone tell me what service 1Z29 is please?

Im hoping it's the beds going North...

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Type 3

Established Member

Thanks

Won't be the beds, as they run as 1SXX north and 1AXX south to my memory.

Z is normally a special working, class 1 means it'll be express. Not that much help though, sorry.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I don't think it's a sleeper, they move under codes starting 1Sxx. 1Zxx would be a special (that exact code has been used before on charters and railtours).

Otherwise:

1xxx = Express
2xxx = Stopping
3xxx = Empty Coaching Stock
4xxx = Freight
5xxx = Empty Coaching Stock
6xxx = Freight
7xxx = Freight
8xxx = Freight
9xxx = Eurostar

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Definitely not the sleeper which runs as 1Sxx and 1Mxx. 1Zxx denotes a special or charter and will be used for different trains each time the code is used.

eos

<quote>Hi, can anyone tell me what service 1Z29 is please?</quote>

Could be a railtour- most likely steam with that number , and a lot of the 'Tornado' tours are 1Z29...

jacknottm

Its not showing for any service train, and the only charter I know of today is the mersey mancunian, so may be that?

Jack

MCR247

Established Member
I don't think it's a sleeper, they move under codes starting 1Sxx. 1Zxx would be a special (that exact code has been used before on charters and railtours).

Otherwise:

1xxx = Express
2xxx = Stopping
3xxx = Empty Coaching Stock
4xxx = Freight
5xxx = Empty Coaching Stock
6xxx = Freight
7xxx = Freight
8xxx = Freight
9xxx = Eurostar
Arent 9xxx used by XC HSTs? If they're not did they used to be?

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yes - Branson managed to wangle some 9xxx for the XC routes to make them more important...

TDK

Established Member

Thanks

Any train with the headcode XZXX is a late pathing train for instance if I wanted a train to go empty stock say from point A to Point B and there is not a scedule for it NR would allocate the headcode asd 5Z?? 5 being empty stock. As your service is 1Z?? this will be a late entered express passenger move.

Any train with the headcode XZXX is a late pathing train for instance if I wanted a train to go empty stock say from point A to Point B and there is not a scedule for it NR would allocate the headcode asd 5Z?? 5 being empty stock. As your service is 1Z?? this will be a late entered express passenger move.
Otherwise known as STP/VSTP.
Short Term Planning / Very Short Term Planning

1D53

Established Member
Two 2Z29's though today, one from Paignton to Newton Abbot and one from Kingston to Barnes. No class 1 though.

TEW

Established Member
Code Z's aren't always planned at the last minute, they are often used when there are engineering works and a train is split in the middle by a bus, one part retaining the original headcode and the other getting a Z.

class 313

Established Member
Tomorrow

1Z29 is the following:

1936 Hanborough - Worcester Shrub Hill
2030 London Waterloo - Guildford

me123

Established Member
No, but some XC Scotland-England services are. It was Virgin that got the priority headcodes for the trains in the first place, though (several years ago now) and they were/are mainly longer distance services (such as Dundee and Glasgow-Penzance runs). I don't know what services (if any) have the class 9 headcode.

For the Caledonian Sleeper headcodes, see here.

Chilled Phill

No, but some XC Scotland-England services are. It was Virgin that got the priority headcodes for the trains in the first place, though (several years ago now) and they were/are mainly longer distance services (such as Dundee and Glasgow-Penzance runs). I don't know what services (if any) have the class 9 headcode.

For the Caledonian Sleeper headcodes, see here.

Ah, right.

Serves me right for citing the internet. :lol:

Thanks for the clarification, me123. ;)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Aren't Pendolinos using this heasdcode as well? :|

Virgin and crosscountry commonly use class 9 headcodes... as explained above. The former 0700 Cardiff to Edinburgh was a class 9 iirc....

As far as 1Z29 is concerned it could be anything, in my experience it could either be a special i.e a railtour as such, it could be a replacement unit for a broken down or late running service... for example if you had a milford haven to manchester service delayed in swansea on a headcode 1W29, it might be restarted from cardiff on time as 1Z29... just purely an example. Can also be a test train etc.

1D53

Established Member
Only Crosscountry used Class 9 headcodes and they were withdrawn in December in favour of standard Class 1 headcodes.

driver9000

Established Member
Yes RHTTs run as class 3. Some ECS moves that need higher priority can also be booked to run as class 3.

me123

Established Member
Only Crosscountry used Class 9 headcodes and they were withdrawn in December in favour of standard Class 1 headcodes.

That's true; I just checked and 9V47 GLC-PGN is now 1V47. Didn't know they'd dropped them but I honestly could never see that much benefit in having them unless the trains were severely delayed. In fact, because it's a priority headcode, it could very well have caused a few delays to other services.

me123

Established Member
Your point?

1*** trains can/do delay 2*** trains.

I just remember several times at Edinburgh Waverley arriving early and delaying several other trains as we crossed over to Platform 1 (due to the engineering works). And I'm sure that happened elsewhere.

Established Member
Aren't Pendolinos using this heasdcode as well? :|

No, Pendos have always been class 1 (class 5 when ECS)

Regarding 1Z29, as of this morning there were 28 of them in the system for a variety of dates and journeys.

Being a dinosaur, I can remember when a class 9 was an unfitted freight. I even once caused consternation by re-describing a Speedlink train heading towards the Southern Region as a class 9, as it had a brake van on the rear when it passed me - with side lamps; at the time unfitted trains were banned on the SR. The guard must have thought that seeing he had a nice van on the rear to ride in, it should have side lights and, bear in mind that it started from a yard in a region that still ran class 9s, there were plenty of them lying around :lol:

I also don't subscribe to the nonsense of giving "priority" headcodes to certain TOC's services / types of trains. Any signaller worthy of the description should be able to regulate trains correctly with no further aid than the use of TRUST lineups and / or a simplifier where needed. I can well remember the howls of derision that greeted the decision to give the "Pullman" trains on the WCML a 1Pxx description around 1990, to differentiate them from "ordinary" class 1s.

Tom C

for example if you had a milford haven to manchester service delayed in swansea on a headcode 1W29, it might be restarted from cardiff on time as 1Z29... just purely an example.

Not sure about that!

Maybe different TOC's use different systems but down here if a train has a SSO/NTSO or is started short it still uses the same train reporting number and is simply cancelled at the stations it doesn't call at.

Z's are often used on FCC when the Thameslink service is split in two owing to service disruption. As drivers are always displaced they generally allocate Z train reporting numbers rather than try and keep to the working timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.