• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow and BA a disgrace to the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoff

To be fair they board an Aircraft far quicker than BA due to the difference in carry on luggage allowances.
I suspect that boarding the plane from front and back makes more of a difference, quite rare on BA.

And the irony here is that the issue BA sometimes has with cabin baggage was originally caused by chasing the pricing model of the low cost airlines, I don't ever recall a systematic problem with the previious really generous cabin baggage allowance. Moving to separately pricing baggage in tickets and then some meltdowns with baggage at Heathrow did not help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

One thing I hate with Easyjet is the pretence of 'boarding' which translates as "we want you to the gate asap to sit until we corall you in s small cold corridor to wait until we can let you on the plane."

To be fair, they all do that.

Jamiescott1

I do think BA is more geared to those at the front of the plane than the back. The majority of their long haul aircraft have less than half the floor space dedicated to Y class.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I do think BA is more geared to those at the front of the plane than the back. The majority of their long haul aircraft have less than half the floor space dedicated to Y class.
Isn't that true of all the airlines that have more than one class?

miklcct

On Moderation
From the north of England flights via Dublin or Amsterdam are worth considering over Heathrow.
In general, if I need to make a transfer between destinations in Europe and Hong Kong, my top 2 priorities are Aeroflot (when it operated the route to Hong Kong back in the past) and Finnair. The reason is because they provide the shortest flight route coupled with short connections to provide the minimum journey duration for a one-transfer connection. Among these 2, Aeroflot is generally cheaper so I flew on it most of the times.

zero

In general, if I need to make a transfer between destinations in Europe and Hong Kong, my top 2 priorities are Aeroflot (when it operated the route to Hong Kong back in the past) and Finnair. The reason is because they provide the shortest flight route coupled with short connections to provide the minimum journey duration for a one-transfer connection. Among these 2, Aeroflot is generally cheaper so I flew on it most of the times.

The comment you replied to is talking about people flying from the north of England, saying they would prefer not to transfer in Heathrow, which if you choose BA you are mostly forced to do, because BA only has a very rare handful of international flights from non-London airports.

Actually, UK domestic followed by a T5 departure is very easy now, you can walk directly to the gate. But the reverse requires immigration and security.

btw, seems like Aeroflot is resuming Moscow-HK at Christmas, but obviously you can't go on to anywhere else in Europe besides Minsk (and Turkey?)

Chester1

Established Member

I can't see Aeroflot serving UK airports again for a decade or two...

btw, seems like Aeroflot is resuming Moscow-HK at Christmas, but obviously you can't go on to anywhere else in Europe besides Minsk (and Turkey?)

Turkey is allowing Russian airlines but UK sanctions prevent through tickets using them.

Sunil_P

It's been a while (2019), but pretty sure the last time we flew via the Gulf, or Bahrain to be exact, we had to go through security again after getting off a flight from London, in order to connect to a flight to India.

zero

It's been a while (2019), but pretty sure the last time we flew via the Gulf, or Bahrain to be exact, we had to go through security again after getting off a flight from London, in order to connect to a flight to India.

Countries decide which origins they trust. Most countries including the US and UK don't trust anyone else, while, the EU/Schengen generally trusts itself, the US, Canada and UK. Qatar seems to change its mind on trusting the UK/EU every once in a while (maybe even day to day).

I can't see Aeroflot serving UK airports again for a decade or two...

Turkey is allowing Russian airlines but UK sanctions prevent through tickets using them.

I was referring to Hong Kong, which was already off topic for this thread

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It was 2016 for me, but in Dubai I had to go through security transferring from my flight from Heathrow to my flight to Colombo.

miklcct

On Moderation
The comment you replied to is talking about people flying from the north of England, saying they would prefer not to transfer in Heathrow, which if you choose BA you are mostly forced to do, because BA only has a very rare handful of international flights from non-London airports.

Actually, UK domestic followed by a T5 departure is very easy now, you can walk directly to the gate. But the reverse requires immigration and security.

The 3 major airlines in China, Air China, China Eastern Airlines and China Southern Airlines, are based in the 3 major cities, Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou respectively. I am hoping to fly on China Southern the coming winter to prevent my Aeroflot miles getting expired (I have about 41k now, just a few hundred short of a one-way redemption between London and Guangzhou) and expecting to fly a non-stop flight from London to Guangzhou (and use the high speed rail to get home). However, to my surprise, it also offers a transfer between London and Hong Kong via Beijing which is cheaper than all other airlines including direct and transferring options.

If airlines in China fly international from non-hub airports, why can't BA similarly do so?
Countries decide which origins they trust. Most countries including the US and UK don't trust anyone else, while, the EU/Schengen generally trusts itself, the US, Canada and UK. Qatar seems to change its mind on trusting the UK/EU every once in a while (maybe even day to day).

I was referring to Hong Kong, which was already off topic for this thread
When the UK was in the EU, did it also trust EU security as well? Anyway, the issue of security is the major downside in choosing Aeroflot between Asia and Europe as the service in the air is generally good. The security at Moscow is a huge bottleneck, and the option to enter Russia during connection (if the stopover is long enough) doesn't really exist for most travellers.

Butts

Veteran Member
The 3 major airlines in China, Air China, China Eastern Airlines and China Southern Airlines, are based in the 3 major cities, Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou respectively. I am hoping to fly on China Southern the coming winter to prevent my Aeroflot miles getting expired (I have about 41k now, just a few hundred short of a one-way redemption between London and Guangzhou) and expecting to fly a non-stop flight from London to Guangzhou (and use the high speed rail to get home). However, to my surprise, it also offers a transfer between London and Hong Kong via Beijing which is cheaper than all other airlines including direct and transferring options.

If airlines in China fly international from non-hub airports, why can't BA similarly do so?

When the UK was in the EU, did it also trust EU security as well? Anyway, the issue of security is the major downside in choosing Aeroflot between Asia and Europe as the service in the air is generally good. The security at Moscow is a huge bottleneck, and the option to enter Russia during connection (if the stopover is long enough) doesn't really exist for most travellers.

Possibly because it is a much bigger Country than the UK with a far larger population to make it viable ?

Are the Airlines not all State Controlled with no effective competition ?

rf_ioliver

You can always spot an American outside of the USA as they take their shoes off at airport security checks despite most countries not requiring it.
I was in the security queue at Schiphol a few weeks ago - I am sure some of their security staff have a very big foot fetish - their definition of a thick sole or high heels is "curious" to say the least. There's one or two there who seem to relish pat downs too...
Anyway, the security person asked one lady to take her shoes off...she started shouting back, "I have a code, I don't have to do, I paid to keep my shoes on." after a little arguing, she announced she was "an American and has TSA privileges"

I'm going to Hell for this, but at this point I laughed; loudly....anyway, I passed through security (with my shoes on), no pat down and stood waiting for my bag. The lady then came through, rather annoyed and shouted at me "I am an American and I know how things work".

I looked down and said back "Yes, but you still took your shoes off".

I collected my bag while security decided they needed a very close inspection of hers...

Heathrow...I delayed a Finnair flight because transfer security took over 2 hours (I was flying in from a delayed Boston flight). First time ever Heathrow managed to get my bags to the connecting flight, but couldn't get someone to take them off while I was stuck in security so the plane could depart.

dosxuk

Established Member
Possibly because it is a much bigger Country than the UK with a far larger population to make it viable ?

Indeed - the shortest of the pairs, Beijing to Shanghai is approx 670 miles. There are no airports in the UK more than 640 miles from Heathrow.

Even if we reduce that to 500 miles, there are still no major airports - the furthest is Glasgow at about 345 miles. And further, within that 500 miles are the major competing hubs of Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris.

map

(map showing Heathrow with a 500 mile radius circle around it)

Wolfie

Established Member

Firstly the size, both geographically and numerically, of the market in China is vastly bigger than that in UK.

Secondly the UK appeared to have limited confidence in EU security when it was a member - that was one of the reasons why it never joined Schengen.

I was in the security queue at Schiphol a few weeks ago - I am sure some of their security staff have a very big foot fetish - their definition of a thick sole or high heels is "curious" to say the least. There's one or two there who seem to relish pat downs too...
Anyway, the security person asked one lady to take her shoes off...she started shouting back, "I have a code, I don't have to do, I paid to keep my shoes on." after a little arguing, she announced she was "an American and has TSA privileges"

I'm going to Hell for this, but at this point I laughed; loudly....anyway, I passed through security (with my shoes on), no pat down and stood waiting for my bag. The lady then came through, rather annoyed and shouted at me "I am an American and I know how things work".

I looked down and said back "Yes, but you still took your shoes off".

I collected my bag while security decided they needed a very close inspection of hers...

Heathrow...I delayed a Finnair flight because transfer security took over 2 hours (I was flying in from a delayed Boston flight). First time ever Heathrow managed to get my bags to the connecting flight, but couldn't get someone to take them off while I was stuck in security so the plane could depart.
Rather too many US citizens appear to believe that the rest of the world should conform to US practice. An example is, and l've actually seen it, them having a rant because businesses in Europe won't accept US dollars.....

zero

Rather too many US citizens appear to believe that the rest of the world should conform to US practice. An example is, and l've actually seen it, them having a rant because businesses in Europe won't accept US dollars.....

If I ran a business in Europe I would happily accept US dollars at 2 dollars to 1 euro.

At a Christmas market in Germany I once heard an American talking for about 10 minutes about his search for a bureau de change because he brought only US $100 bills with him, no cards.

Wolfie

Established Member
If I ran a business in Europe I would happily accept US dollars at 2 dollars to 1 euro.

At a Christmas market in Germany I once heard an American talking for about 10 minutes about his search for a bureau de change because he brought only US $100 bills with him, no cards.
Apparently lots of Canadian businesses take US dollars at 1:1. A nice little earner when the exchange rate is about 1:1.35......

Jamiescott1

Apparently lots of Canadian businesses take US dollars at 1:1. A nice little earner when the exchange rate is about 1:1.35......
Yep. When I worked in montreal we used to get loads of Americans come for the weekend (espically those old enough to drink in quebec but not in the States), they'd always just have US dollars (and complain about things being different in Canada to the states).

I digressed. My ba flight in December has been changed from a 787 to a 777. Last time I was on a BA 777 it was so tatty so I hope its a refurbed one (although dont like 10 across in Y)

Brooke

I have many experiences both good and bad with BA!

Interestingly, I have had reason to claim compensation from both BA and Ryanair a couple of times this year.

Ryanair have paid up instantly & in full both times. BA on the other hand (despite me being a Gold card holder) have failed to respond to both claims, as a result of which one is now in arbitration and the other is headed towards the small claims court.

On one of the occasions BA left me literally stranded abroad for 2 days until I arranged my own travel back, and with no word from them (“no alternative flights available”).

My patience with them is getting a little bit tested at the moment!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
An example is, and l've actually seen it, them having a rant because businesses in Europe won't accept US dollars.....

Quite common. I‘ve seen several examples of US tourists thinking our prices are quoted in dollars. And even one who thought our petrol was priced in dollars … and per US gallon…

Last time I was on a BA 777 it was so tatty so I hope its a refurbed one (although dont like 10 across in Y)

My last (ever) BA flight was a 777 refurb, and it was a pretty good ‘hard product’’. Shame about the ‘soft’.

zero

As an "honorary Canadian" (since the majority of my family lives there) I'm ashamed to say that we once drove from Toronto to the American side of Niagara and forgot to bring US dollars, but the shops there actually took Canadian at pretty much the interbank exchange rate - but their prices were such a rip off so it was more like half of the true value :p

This was when paying cash was the norm for retail transactions. Canadian 1-25c coins were accepted at par too, so it was slightly less of a rip off!

Back to BA, I was Gold for a number of years and had several very horrid experiences in long haul economy so swore to only fly BA if I could get a deal in business.

But I'm now only bronze, and just did a longhaul economy on the BA A350 because it was the only affordable flight and everything went absolutely perfectly.

Butts

Veteran Member
As an "honorary Canadian" (since the majority of my family lives there) I'm ashamed to say that we once drove from Toronto to the American side of Niagara and forgot to bring US dollars, but the shops there actually took Canadian at pretty much the interbank exchange rate - but their prices were such a rip off so it was more like half of the true value :p

This was when paying cash was the norm for retail transactions. Canadian 1-25c coins were accepted at par too, so it was slightly less of a rip off!

Back to BA, I was Gold for a number of years and had several very horrid experiences in long haul economy so swore to only fly BA if I could get a deal in business.

But I'm now only bronze, and just did a longhaul economy on the BA A350 because it was the only affordable flight and everything went absolutely perfectly.

If you were Gold did you not manage to blag the exit seats ?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had what is going to be my last flight for the foreseeable, possibly ever, in the “ying yang” seats earlier this week. At the risk of being controversial, I think I’m going to miss them. As someone who travels as a couple, I really like being able to get a window seat, especially as BA is too cheap to pay for external cameras. With preselected seats in the last row in each of the cabins you don’t have to climb over anyone else if you’re in the window seat, and it actually feels quite private.

I understand why people don’t like them though, as this is of course offset by the person in the aisle being quite exposed, and also subject to someone climbing over you, but at least you don’t have to move yourself like in economy. I imagine it’s quite awkward if you’re facing a stranger too.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I am hoping to fly on China Southern the coming winter to prevent my Aeroflot miles getting expired (I have about 41k now, just a few hundred short of a one-way redemption between London and Guangzhou) and expecting to fly a non-stop flight from London to Guangzhou (and use the high speed rail to get home). However, to my surprise, it also offers a transfer between London and Hong Kong via Beijing which is cheaper than all other airlines including direct and transferring options.

Beijing is a hub airport for China Southern!

Status
Not open for further replies.