• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heaton 142s in the nw

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyandy

Hi,
Does anyone have any idea why there has been a influx in heaton class 142s in the merseyside area/nw, ive seen 142 009,017,018,088, anyone know of any more and why.
Any help would greatly be appreciated
Daniel

sorry i have put this in the wrong place thought i was on allocations etc, sorry

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think they just balancing the fleet during refreshes and major overhauls.

They're better than the misary rail ones so shhhhh don't say it to loudly!

dannyandy

I think they just balancing the fleet during refreshes and major overhauls.

They're better than the misary rail ones so shhhhh don't say it to loudly!

I know :D lets hope they stay for some time I got on one yesterday it was a pleasant ride but still bouncy lol

dave87016

Established Member
Send 142027 over to the NW as its my last 142 and only 156490 is my other last Northern unit for the year, but that was at Newton Heath for a month or 2 at least and then went into service but once again is at Newton Heath Out Of Service,

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
As far as I can recall, 050 is the only one of Northern's 142's I've not had a ride on West of the Pennines.

024 seems to be particularly common on the Calder Valley for me!

driver9000

Established Member
This migration happens from time to time usually lasting a few weeks at a time before they disappear back over the hill.

I've often wondered if the migration works the other way too and the NE sees an influx of MerseyRail 142s in place of the Heaton sets?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've often wondered if the migration works the other way too and the NE sees an influx of MerseyRail 142s in place of the Heaton sets?

I wouldn't say an influx but we do get one or two turning up from time to time.

pemma

Veteran Member
Oi! Give us our trains back you lot! ;)

The ex-ATN 142s have been appearing in the North West on and off pretty much since Northern took over running the franchise in 2004. Conversely I remember seeing a Merseytravel 142 running a Penistone line service within the first couple of weeks of Northern taking over.

I certainly don't prefer seeing the ex-ATN 142s on Manchester area services at peak time as it means the chance of having to stand is much higher given there's around 20 less seats even though I don't personally like 3+2 seating.

dave87016

Established Member
Ironically 142013 worked the 19:31pm arrival at Preston from Carlisle tonight, not sure if it worked its full service ( 15:12pm ex Carlisle) or if it started from Barrow or Lancaster
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well it seems some people do pay attention, copped my last 142 which was 142027 on the Blackpool South - Colne circuit yesterday

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Send 142027 over to the NW as its my last 142 and only 156490 is my other last Northern unit for the year, but that was at Newton Heath for a month or 2 at least and then went into service but once again is at Newton Heath Out Of Service,

156490 has been on the Cumbrian Coast over the weekend.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes they still have FGW seats (bus benches the only 142s with those that Heaton have) and purple grab handles as well as flooring. The only change is interior notices.

driver9000

Established Member
Do the ex Heaton ex Exeter ones still have the FGW interiors? (142001/009 for example?)

All the ex-GW sets were originally from Newton Heath. When Northern got hem back a few went to Heaton, 142001 went back to Newton Heath but yes, they do still have FGW interiors.

M60lad

The only thing the ex GW 142s had done to them from what I can tell is had the back of the doors repainted yellow as looking at a Youtube video 142001 has its doors repainted pink but I've been on this unit and seen it recently and the doors are defiantly yellow, some have also had the seats retrimed back into Northern trim

pemma

Veteran Member
Do the ex Heaton ex Exeter ones still have the FGW interiors? (142001/009 for example?)

I think 142001 is a Newton Heath unit (unless they've moved it since I last travelled on it.)

I noticed today that the FGW refresh of the 'Oldham Loop 5' which kept the brown flooring didn't include changing the flooring. I got one of those today on a Chester-Manchester service (which should have been a Sprinter digram <() and then again on a Manchester-Chester service (which should have been a different Sprinter diagram <(<( but due to a cancellation the units swapped diagrams.)

34D

Established Member
142001 was working huddersfield-wakefield shuttles one Sat last month

Geeves

Established Member
I wouldn't say the stock movements are as common as they were. There are some Heaton based 142s Ive not see in Manchester for a few years and I was out every day on Victoria working. The high numbered ones though seem to spend a week or so and then disappear. NE based 156s I would say the same, all sticking to their respective areas mostly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.