• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heatwave what Heatwave ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
It's been really warm here in Hemel Hempstead. Guessing about 32oC with a strong breeze and like someone said earlier feels like a hair dryer and no cooling effect. Sweating just sitting here doing nothing. :'(

Established Member
Trying to sleep today (Cheshire) has been awful. It was very pleasant indeed at work, temperature wise, last night though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Had a work meeting today. It was very warm for the time of day when I set off; the HST aircon was fine but I felt the heat when I walked across the road from the station. However the Railway pub was nice and cool. Again I really felt the heat when I crossed the road to get back to the station! HST back was fine, but upon arrival in York the temperature had plummeted.

It is actually cooler in York now than it has been on the last couple of evenings at least, despite all the hype about today being particularly bad.

Altrincham

In Altrincham today it felt very nice and warm but for most of the time it didn’t feel uncomfortable. As someone who wilts easily in really hot weather, I haven’t felt it unbearable.

The BBC seem to have been quite keen over the last few days to warn us of going out in this heat, but to me it feels like a really nice and warm summer’s day.

I’m not sure why this week’s warm weather has generated so much news coverage. Is it excessively hot down south today?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I’m not sure why this week’s warm weather has generated so much news coverage. Is it excessively hot down south today?
London-centric news agenda?

Makes a change from Boris/COVID-19/rocketing fuel prices/upcoming rail strikes and what's happening in Ukraine, I suppose. :rolleyes:

route101

Established Member
Walked back up to the office on my lunch break then sat down, starting sweating profusely. Had to cool off under the hand dryer in the toilet.

Howardh

Established Member
Watching the cricket on the telly, they were saying at the start of the game it was 30c in Northampton. My back garden in Bolton says 16c. Think we (int'north) will get our own back when the midlands/south gets the coming thunderstorms, which appear to be forecast south of us.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Currently ( as I write this ) 30.6°C up here in my attic study.

I have a vest on under my shirt...

J-2739

Established Member
In Altrincham today it felt very nice and warm but for most of the time it didn’t feel uncomfortable. As someone who wilts easily in really hot weather, I haven’t felt it unbearable.

The BBC seem to have been quite keen over the last few days to warn us of going out in this heat, but to me it feels like a really nice and warm summer’s day.

Here in Cambridge, it is feeling pretty hot and humid, although things have cooled down a bit, and there's a nice lighy breeze in the air. Before, I was covered in a screen of sticky sweat!

Altrincham

London-centric news agenda?
This is the conclusion I am rapidly coming to.

Watching the cricket on the telly, they were saying at the start of the game it was 30c in Northampton. My back garden in Bolton says 16c. Think we (int'north) will get our own back when the midlands/south gets the coming thunderstorms, which appear to be forecast south of us.
Certainly looks like they’re in for a stormy Saturday night according to the weather just now on the BBC. All being well, the long range weather forecast from the Met Office reads as quite promising for the beginning of July.

Trackman

Established Member
It's been really warm here in Hemel Hempstead. Guessing about 32oC with a strong breeze and like someone said earlier feels like a hair dryer and no cooling effect. Sweating just sitting here doing nothing. :'(
I think everyone who I've spoken today says there is a strong breeze. In SE13 it's hot but not at the stage when it will effect your sleep, just nice I think.
Been near Bolton today - hot and breezy, it was just right for beer garden weather although I couldn't partake.
Had a work meeting today. It was very warm for the time of day when I set off; the HST aircon was fine ... (snipped)
Well it is better than it was about 40 years ago! ... or even yesterday ;- )
Currently ( as I write this ) 30.6°C up here in my attic study.

I have a vest on under my shirt...
Top floor where I am now 29.8.
Outside on the met office says now 26.

That reminds me, I need a new lithium battery for my outside sensor .

Was in Exeter today, temperature peaked at about 31°C (although Google's weather widget on my phonewas saying a high of 33°C). Aircon helping out in buildings and bottles of drink the order of the day (recycled once used). Current temperature in my bedroom is 27.8°C according to my bedside clock thermometer, the pain of having a bedroom that faces the sun.

I noted last month whilst passing through Bristol TM there is a machine that allows refills of water bottles (for free if tap water is selected) and gives an option to buy a metal water bottle. With the effects of climate change long term leading to more hot weather, should we be installing more machines like this at places such as shopping centres and rail stations long term?

Jimini

Established Member
We hit 33 degrees in East London yesterday -- not much fun! Fortunately the air con in my local was on form 8-)

philosopher

Established Member

I agree this heatwave has definitely been over reported by the media. Highest temperature was 33 degrees Celsius in Suffolk. These temperatures are pretty much expected in southern or eastern England in summer these days and I would be more surprised if it did not reach this temperature in a given summer.

It has been the hottest day of the year in the UK for the third day in a row.
Santon Downham, in Suffolk, recorded 32.7C (91F) on Friday afternoon followed by Heathrow Airport and Kew Gardens, which both recorded 32.4C.

In August 2020 I seem to remember it being around 35 degrees for about week in London, which should have been quite news worthy due to its prolonged length. However, although I frequently hear people talk about this heatwave, I do not recall that much media reporting of that heatwave at the time.

What annoys me (as a miserable old git) is that almost everyone in the media assumes that the only place to be when the temperature rises into the 30's C and the sun is at its strongest of the year with deathly UV levels, is the beach where there is no shade and hardly any space to sit down.

Mad dogs and Englishmen... and all that.

We had 28.8 here yesterday and that was too warm for me, despite the breeze.

Magdalia

Established Member
I agree this heatwave has definitely been over reported by the media. Highest temperature was 33 degrees Celsius in Suffolk. These temperatures are pretty much expected in southern or eastern England in summer these days and I would be more surprised if it did not reach this temperature in a given summer.

As an aged East Anglian, these temperatures are not "pretty much expected" here. I think this is the first time that we have gone over 30C in June here in East Anglia. Until a few years ago it was rare to go over 30C in East Anglia at all, but since 2019 Cambridge has had the record UK temperature at 38.7C.

This is climate change for real and we are struggling to adapt. For us it is rightly headline news.

And for railway reference, Santon Downham is in Thetford Forest on the Ely-Norwich line. It is renowned for extremes of temperature and recorded a frost less than a month ago.

pitdiver

Just come back from a week sailing on the Norfolk Broads. I was warm when we set out last Saturday but slowly got warmer through the week. It apparently reached 33 yesterday, it certainly felt like it. But we had some good winds all through the week.
Coming home today could see the thermometer in the car drop as we got further near home. 16 now in Mansfield.

Calthrop

Established Member
And for railway reference, Santon Downham is in Thetford Forest on the Ely-Norwich line. It is renowned for extremes of temperature and recorded a frost less than a month ago.

And it had long ago, a 3ft. gauge forestry line -- though that's neither here nor there ;).

FGW_Lad

Think it hit 32c in Slough yesterday, my office was very cool but when I walked over to the main hospital building I felt the strength of the sun! Didn’t cool down much last night either, still about 21c at night which lead to an uncomfortable nights sleep

Grecian 1998

Walked a challenging section of the SW Coast Path yesterday from Bude to Hartland Quay before heading back to Bristol in the evening. Very warm with clear skies until 1100 when thick cloud descended from nowhere in the classic micro-climate style of that part of the world. Given the multiple sharp ascents and descents I was grateful.

Thick cloud across that part of the world for the rest of the day. Bus back to Exeter emerged into clear skies shortly before Okehampton. When I got back to Exeter St Davids at 1945 I could feel it had clearly been a very warm day. The fact that all long-distance southbound services seemed to be running very late was a clue that the heat had clearly provided a lot of challenges. The warmth that hit me at Temple Meads was also indicative of the weather.

It hasn't half cooled down today though!

route101

Established Member
Was a lot cooler yesterday, got cooler as the afternoon went on. 29c to 13c in a day. As much as its nice to have sunny weather, I'm not a fan of the heat. I wouldn't say over 30c is rare for June.

No, not particularly rare. in some areas of southeast England the temperature exceeded 30C every day between 23rd June and 8th July 1976. 34C was reached on several days, and temperatures took hours to fall to comfortable values to the heat retention of the brick and concrete buildings in large cities and towns.

I remember visiting a friend one day towards the end of June 76, and he had a thermometer situated on a north facing tree in his garden. We looked at it at 2300 before I left and it was still showing 28C. No wonder no-one could sleep most nights.

Magdalia

Established Member
No, not particularly rare. in some areas of southeast England the temperature exceeded 30C every day between 23rd June and 8th July 1976. 34C was reached on several days,
But what happened in 1976 was very rare. That's why we still talk about it so much.

Nothing like that happened in other years.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
40 degrees Celsius was recorded in France on Thursday, five days earlier in the year than ever before: the previous record dated from 2003. Both France and Spain had their hottest May on record too.

I believe what was at stake in England was potential highest temperatures for individual days in what could be defined as the mid June period (11th to 20th.)

Status
Not open for further replies.