• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alistair G.

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong thread/section, I'm never great at these Internet forum things!.

I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera with some Xmas money I got. I was looking at the nikon d3200, but I know there are a lot of enthusiasts on here who have great camera knowledge so was hoping you might be able to suggest if that is a good enough camera or if I should save a few more pennies and buy a different one.

Ideally I want to use it for everything from photographing pendo's at 125moh, through to birthday/Christmas family photos and everything in between.

Any advice is most welcome!.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dysonsphere

well its in the wrong place im sure a mod will move it soon. For a good all rounder you need a digi camera with fixed lens with a good zoom and the option of manual settings. £200 to £300 will get something usefull. If you want to go the full lens changing route wont get much change from £1000. Try to find something with manual focus option as that makes things easier.

starrymarkb

Established Member
The D3200 is a very good camera for beginners :) It does only support autofocus on a limited set of lenses (AF-S with inbuilt motor) but that is true of any Nikon under about £700!

rf_ioliver

Nikon, Canon - either is good despite the inevitable war from the fan boys :)
I've a Canon 500D still going strong.

The main thing really is the lenses: the lenses that come with the camera are good, but soon you'll find yourself getting immersed in glass quality, chromatic aberration etc. I tend to use primes, ie, fixed focal length for most of my work, specificalyl 35mm and 50mm with very low f numbers, (need to check the 35mm) but the 50mm goes down to f/1.4. I've also a Sigma 10-20mm wide-angle lens which is just brilliant for landscape stuff.

Get yourself sorted with a good camera and the kit lens(es) first however, again Canon, Nikon doesn't matter. Then go to a photography course to learn how to get the best our of the camera, but choose your course well. A basic course about the camera is fine, but really do get yourself on an evening course or whatever about photography rather than "cameras" to learn what f-stops mean, how to take photos in low-light conditions, how to frame a shot, postprocessing etc. THIS is the most important aspect IMHO.

Failing all that, try a Nokia 1020 with the 42MPixel camera ;)

t.

Ian

455driver

Veteran Member
Try and have a play with a Nikon and a Canon, some of the controls on the Nikon are not to everyones liking.

I am a Canon man myself! ;)

chorleyjeff

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong thread/section, I'm never great at these Internet forum things!.

I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera with some Xmas money I got. I was looking at the nikon d3200, but I know there are a lot of enthusiasts on here who have great camera knowledge so was hoping you might be able to suggest if that is a good enough camera or if I should save a few more pennies and buy a different one.

Ideally I want to use it for everything from photographing pendo's at 125moh, through to birthday/Christmas family photos and everything in between.

Any advice is most welcome!.

Thanks

You can have my Lumix FZ 28 for £50.:))
Leica zoom lens with fast enough shutter speed for fast trains. Everything from "Intelligent" auto to RAW image capture with all usual advanced camera function. Have printed very good images up to A3.
I would suggest not going for a big SLR because they are overkill for most users. If you want a new camera why not go for a good quality Fuji or Panasonic 4/3s camera which provide excellent results from a lightweight body and lens?
My main camera is a heavy SLR with excellent quality lenses but I only have it because I like to produce very high quality A3+ prints.
If you only need to produce images for screens and up to A4 pretty well any camera with manual over ride to exposure and focus will be perfectly adequate.
Remember it is only a tool to enable you to do what you actually want to do!

455driver

Veteran Member
Good post Chorleyjeff, I have a Canon 600D with a 17-55 and 55-250 lenses, I have just bought my 10 year old Son a Fuji S4500 (as his first 'proper' camera) and there isnt much difference in the quality at normal viewing plus he has the advantage of a 30x zoom lens, I am seriously considering getting one of these as my every day camera as they are lightweight and quite easy to set up properly and keep the 600D as my 'special occasion' camera.

Monty

Established Member
I've just got myself a 600D and I'm very happy with it. A very good camera that is quite reasonably priced since it's been superseded by other models.

Still waiting for 455driver to invite me out photting. ;)

rf_ioliver

I've just got myself a 600D and I'm very happy with it. A very good camera that is quite reasonably priced since it's been superseded by other models.

I still have the 500D and its going strong.

Get yourself on a photography course ASAP :)

WARNING: over the next year you'll end up probably buying a few new lenses, a flash, tripod, remote control and start talking in some weird code about f numbers, shutter speed etc... ;)

Ian

I've had a Canon 450D for the last 6 years. I discarded the 18-55mm kit lens which came with it some time back and now use 17-85mm and 70-300mm lenses which give better results. Maybe you should go for 'body only' and take your pick from the vast array of lenses which are available. Kit lenses are ok but they are often the cheapest in the range.
Canon, Nikon? Take your pick. Both are excellent cameras. (Other cameras are available!)

mp01

Thanks for the input guys!. Think I might ponder it some more and then treat myself on the weekend!!.

Another thought is to see whether the D3100 is still available. It's a brilliant DSLR in my (and many reviewers') experience, and you'll have some change compared with the D3200 to buy accessories.

GB

Established Member
You will also wan't to factor in any future upgrade paths because if and when you start buying different lenses you will be locked to that camera manufacturer for sometime.

When I bought my first DSLr back in 2007 I wen't with olympus and its 4/3 format not knowing what camera technology was all about. 7 years later I am still with olympus due to the extra lenses I bought over the years only to find the format is now effectively dead...ie there is going to be no more proper DSLr's above the E5 which all though a great camera, its is now showing it age.

Its going to be quite expensive for me to switch to another make.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Another thought is to see whether the D3100 is still available. It's a brilliant DSLR in my (and many reviewers') experience, and you'll have some change compared with the D3200 to buy accessories.

I'd be inclined to agree with this, I had the choice of a D3100, D3200 and D5100 earlier this year, and I just didn't like with the control layouts on the newer models, while the D3100 felt just about perfect.

The D3100 is obviously not the newest kid on the block now, but it's still a quality bit of kit IMO.

455driver

Veteran Member
The D3100 is obviously not the newest kid on the block now, but it's still a quality bit of kit IMO.

This could be worth exploring, why not get a cheaper second hand camera to try before shelling out for a new one. You will be able to see if the controls suit you and if not you could sell it for pretty much what you paid and try a different manufacturer, once you are sure then you could either sell it on or part ex it for a brand new camera.

sevn

I would recommend D3200. It is class camera in its category. And it is the best camera you can buy for the money, good choice.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have a look at review for more info

Status
Not open for further replies.