• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage railways and camp sites within walking distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M7R

What heritage railways have a camp site within walking distance of one of the stations? Looking for inspiration for some long weekends camping and the opportunity to cross off another railway,

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
What heritage railways have a camp site within walking distance of one of the stations? Looking for inspiration for some long weekends camping and the opportunity to cross off another railway,

Thanks
Severn Valley and Llangollen both do. Ravenglass & Eskdale too.

Titfield

Established Member
There are camp sites within reasonable proximity of Harmans Cross or Norden on the Swanage Railway.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Almost all of them I should think - you will have to check what sort of site they are. Some may be The Caravan and Motorhome Club ( formerly known as the caravan club) or Camping and Caravan Club or private sites. Each have thier own site rules, membership requirements and costs. Facilities will also differ widely!

Very happy to keep across this thread as we are always on the look out for good sites. One I do know is that there is a camping a caravan club site backing onto Burrs station

You know who may know: @Cowley

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Severn Valley and Llangollen both do. Ravenglass & Eskdale too.
The Ravenglass & Eskdale certainly has the "Fisherground" request stop, which is sited immediately adjacent to a popular campsite of that same name.

ge-gn

Two good campsites within a pleasant short walk of Weybourne Station on the North Norfolk Railway.

sprinterguy

Established Member
My personal favourite is the Snowdonia Parc campsite, adjacent to Waunfawr station on the Welsh Highland Railway and the quite excellent Snowdonia Parc brewpub. Not sure that it's compatible now with the Welsh Highland's move towards packaged return trips, however, which seems to have removed the utility of hop on, hop off at intermediate stations.

Another honourable mention for Fisherground campsite adjacent to the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, that's a nice one.

341o2

Established Member
There are camp sites within reasonable proximity of Harmans Cross or Norden on the Swanage Railway.
Also, Herston campsite is near the halt of the same name as advertised at Harman's Cross, which has adjacent campsites, not so sure about Norden though.
It has been a while since I last visited the Talyllyn, but remember a campsite near one of the intermediate halts

A0wen

On Moderation
Nene Valley at Overton / Ferry Meadows.

Tynllwyn Camping & Caravan park is next to Rhydyronen station on the Tallylyn.

Leyburn has campsites within walking distance of the station.

M7R

Thanks for all the replies, really surprised it was so popular and keep them coming as I will make a list of them for future trips. I will have a good look through the list later and see what we can book for a spare weekend in August. We are hoping to do a railway we haven’t done yet ideally but will happily do one our 10 month old hasn’t done (he’s up to 12 already )

341o2

Established Member
Tynllwyn Camping & Caravan park is next to Rhydyronen station on the Tallylyn.
That's the one I was thinking of, there is Tynllwynhen Halt as well, which, despite its name is presumably not so well sited for the campsite.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very happy to keep across this thread as we are always on the look out for good sites. One I do know is that there is a camping a caravan club site backing onto Burrs station

You know who may know: @Cowley

These two spring to mind. There’s a campsite next to the West Somerset Railway just east of Blue Anchor station that we’ve stayed in before now, can’t remember the name though.

The one we’ve stayed in the most often is the campsite at the Unicorn Inn next to the Severn Valley Railway at Hampton Loade, that’s a lovely spot.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The one we’ve stayed in the most often is the campsite at the Unicorn Inn next to the Severn Valley Railway at Hampton Loade, that’s a lovely spot.
I am desperately trying to get that one added to the new van list. The boss will only stay at club sites though :(
I know one campsite, Setthorns on the New Forest, where you must bring your own chemical toilet
No problem - as long as there is somewhere to empty it!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am desperately trying to get that one added to the new van list. The boss will only stay at club sites though :(
I reckon she’d really like it. There’s proper hook up pitches and some really nice walks along the river. Tell her I said she has to try it. ;)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I know one campsite, Setthorns on the New Forest, where you must bring your own chemical toilet
That'll be fun if you're travelling there and back on the railway. At least you'd be guaranteed a seat, though! ;)

mattyb1405

Very basic campsite but nice and friendly, Blue Skies Campsite at Wells Next The Sea, literally the other side of the fence to Wells and Walsingham Railway, plus bus stop outside as well to reach North Norfolk Railway at Sheringham.

Ediswan

Established Member
Pen y Bont is close to the Bala Lake Railway. Ty Isaf is about two miles up the road (I do mean up). You may or may not consider that walking distance.

The Ravenglass & Eskdale certainly has the "Fisherground" request stop, which is sited immediately adjacent to a popular campsite of that same name.
A campsite which allows open fires.

Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
Also, Herston campsite is near the halt of the same name as advertised at Harman's Cross, which has adjacent campsites, not so sure about Norden though.
It has been a while since I last visited the Talyllyn, but remember a campsite near one of the intermediate halts

Norden Farm Campsite is close to Norden aka Purbeck Park.

Titfield

Established Member
Which is the nearest heritage railway to the campsite in that particular area? It's not really my part of the country.

Swanage Railway (Norden) and Watercress Line (New Alresford) are very similar (about 36 miles to Swanage and 39 to New Alresford).

Status
Not open for further replies.