• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hourly or more services only...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robinson

I am relieved to find FGW call at Port Talbot Parkway, otherwise we'd have found ourselves stuck again...

FGW to London Paddington.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Sorry, I don't get you? :P we've just been on a 458 from Reading to Virginia Water?

SWT to Basingstoke

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Not sure if any other route through Bradford-on-Avon runs hourly (SWT don't, and neither does the Weymouth service; I can't think of anything else off the top of my head).

So unless told otherwise, I'm assuming this needs to be changed.

First Great Western's hourly Portsmouth to Cardiff calls at Bradford-on-Avon, at 22 minutes past each hour.

Robinson

I thought we've done Southern to Barnham, then Southern to Portsmouth & Southsea and now FGW to Bradford-on-Avon??

Correct. Which means we've just used the FGW Portsmouth-Cardiff service to get to Bradford-on-Avon surely, as there is no other direct service between them?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
This is where the problem seemed to arise. This journey came as a result of a journey from Barnham. Therefore, we need a new TOC and to proceed in a westerly direction from Portsmouth and Southsea on a service with an hourly frequency, so I will say......

FGW to Bristol Temple Meads

Yes, it was the Southern to Ports & SS that had me, hence I switched over to FGW.

CrossCountry to Cheltenham Spa (service to Manchester Piccadilly)

ATW to Bridgend

IMPORTANT QUESTION: I'm just wondering what the rules are on services that only have hourly services in the peaks? I made a posting from Sheffield to Bodmin Parkway on one of the three daily extensions from Plymouth through to Penzance. They leave Sheffield at 1354, 1454 and 1554. Also, Pyle is another example I used but was declined. Although Pyle officially has a two-hourly service along the Swanline routes, there are hourly services in the peaks. So the question I'm asking is, will peak hourly services be allowed or not?? Thanks :D

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
In answer to the query, it has to be an off-peak hourly minimum service. So I'm afraid places like Welshpool and Polesworth and anywhere that doesn't have at least 1tph Monday-Friday 10.00-17.00 doesn't count! Hope that makes sense :p Also Paul seems to have a pretty solid grasp of the rules so I trust him to advise in my absence as I don't usually have the time to keep up to speed on this thread. The primary focus is on making clear which hourly+ service is being used (by which I mean hourly+ journey possibility, e.g. Wrexham-Chester would be fine even though that's two different two-hourly services, they combine to form one over that stretch).

FGW HST to Swindon.

Robinson

That appears to be valid.

Back on the Cardiff-Portsmouth service now (because I have no idea what other service through Westbury runs hourly) - so it's FGW to Romsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.