• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How are UK train class identifiers/numeric designations, designated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
SR-style codes were kept going by SWT, with 450s being 4-DES; 444s being 5-DES (both Desiro, obviously); and the 458s as built were designated 4-JOP which refers to Alstom's Juniper range which the 458s were part of (along with the 460s and 334s).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
CIG - Corridor Intermediate Guard (originally Corridor IG - IG being the code for Brighton)
BEP - Buffet Electro-Pneumatic brakes

COR - simply CORridor iirc
BEL - brighton BELle
VEP - Vestibuled Electro-Pneumatic brakes
VIG - Vestibuled Intermediate Guard
CIG - Corridor Intermediate Guard
GLV - Guard's Luggage Van

The 442s were coded 5WES unofficially for 5-car Wessex Electric Stock.

What, in the context of the CIG/VIG/BIG, did "Intermediate" actually mean?

Also wasn't GLV specifically "Gatwick Luggage Van"

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What, in the context of the CIG/VIG/BIG, did "Intermediate" actually mean?

Also wasn't GLV specifically "Gatwick Luggage Van"

Normally the Guard's van would be in both the driving cars, on these there was only one cars van in an intermediate trailer.

Guard's Luggage Van is on the list I have, but I have seen it transcribed as "Gatwick" as well.

Grumbler

Oh I see... I think I'd just find it easier to remember the 7245 in the first place, though. :)
When I was young I had a photographic memory for spelling - the letters would appear in my mind's eye as though on a board. But numbers - no.

rebmcr

Established Member
SR-style codes were kept going by SWT, with 450s being 4-DES; 444s being 5-DES (both Desiro, obviously); and the 458s as built were designated 4-JOP which refers to Alstom's Juniper range which the 458s were part of (along with the 460s and 334s).

Was that official by SWT? I always thought those were just by enthusiasts (which I'm fairly sure "6JAV" is another example of).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Was that official by SWT? I always thought those were just by enthusiasts (which I'm fairly sure "6JAV" is another example of).
The 4-JOP was actually displayed in the data panels when they were in unrefurbished form. Not sure if it still is as I've not been that way for years. Seem to recall that 460s were, as one might expect, 8-GAT.

GW43125

Established Member
The 4-JOP was actually displayed in the data panels when they were in unrefurbished form. Not sure if it still is as I've not been that way for years. Seem to recall that 460s were, as one might expect, 8-GAT.
I'm sure I've seen the refurbished 458/5s carrying "5JUP"

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I find it difficult to believe that any such restriction dating from when TOPS was introduced half a century or so ago would still apply today.
TOPS is still in use. So yes the restrictions still apply

Status
Not open for further replies.