• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How easy is it to get on the wrong train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
For those who don't know, platform 4 at Stevenage is bi-directional.

One disrupted evening, my delayed southbound service was ready to leave at the time a northbound service would normally have been there. A fair few passengers arrived and boarded shortly before departure and were somewhat surprised at the direction of travel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iainbhx

So that will be everyone then!

The main problem is the A/B overlap when they use a 6 car for Shrewsbury which goes over into the A where the Euston is. endless folk get on the back of the Shrewsbury thinking its the Euston which is nestled right up behind it, they just see a continuous bank of identical LM coaches...

Nearly did it myself the other day, my usual Liverpool was on 4A, but a Walsall was on 4B and 4A. Luckily, the Walsall made an announcement and I was able to scamper off in time.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I did it only the other day because I wasn't concentrating, and saw on the screen what I expected to see rather than what was actually there. Passengers make mistakes! It would be nice if TOCs let them off sometimes ;)

DelayRepay

Established Member
I once caught the East Coast service from Kings Cross, first stop York. A lady with a strong Spanish accent was sat opposite me. Somewhere near Peterborough she asked me if I knew what time we'd get to Kings Lynn...

When I told her she was on the wrong train she got into a bit of a state, so I told her to go to the buffet counter and ask them if they could contact the guard for her. She didn't come back so I've no idea what happened but I expect she had a longer journey than she'd hoped for! I did wonder whether she actually found her way to the buffet counter or if she's spent the last two years trapped in a toilet going to Aberdeen and back...

Trainfan344

Established Member
Only time I can remember getting a wrong train/tube was at Euston Road trying to make a connection from a delayed west coast onto a GEML train, realised my mistake between Great Portland Street and Baker Street, changed trains, got into Liverpool Street underground about a minute before the train was due to leave! Cue a mad dash through the underground concourse, through the barriers and onto the train at the back door! One of the last few passengers on the train!

neilmc

I've got on the wrong tube train before but only once I can recall on the main network.

I was going from Cross Gates to Church Fenton one summer Saturday late 1960s on a through train to Scarborough. The station staff announced the "Scarborough train" and I got on only to find it was a non-stop excursion running a few minutes prior to the stopper. In this case they made an extra stop at Church Fenton for me.

A couple of weeks ago a girl got on my train which by way of a variation was the correct train but going the wrong way. Manchester-Southport train due to run via Bolton and Westhoughton was diverted on to the Atherton line due to signalling problems, they announced this at Oxford Road but she claimed that Deansgate didn't, as she attempted to catch the train to Bolton and ended up in Wigan.

FenMan

Established Member
Caught a XC heading to Basingstoke from one of the through platforms at Reading.

A couple opposite me looked increasingly alarmed as we went through Reading West. It turned out they weren't regular travellers and were attending a family christening in Wembley. Oops!

After checking on my phone I advised them to ask the guard to endorse their tickets so they could catch the next fast train from Basingstoke to Waterloo, as this would still get them to the christening on time. A few minutes later the husband returned, his face beaming. The look on his wife's face when he explained the good news was a picture. :)

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
I've gotten on a London to Gravesend via Sidcup train a few times wanting to go to Lee and have found it to be one of the two or three per day that's fast to New Eltham. Once I even encountered the mythical beast that is a Southeastern RPI block at New Eltham – luckily I was travelling on an Oyster Travelcard post-OEP. Have to be more careful now that I have a paper season ticket!

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
A friend of mine at Paddington got confused between Taunton and Tiverton one time.

The only problem was that she wasn't catching the train, but I was, and didn't check myself before boarding.

Thankfully, my ticket was to Exeter, so I just rang up my ride and asked them to pick me up from there instead!

talltim

Established Member
I managed to do it once, not so long ago.

For those unfamiliar, Norwich - Liverpool and Liverpool - Norwich services mostly arrive and depart on the same side of Sheffield station, within a few mins of eachother.

Liverpool bound services usually use platform 2, Norwich services platform 5.

When I arrived, the board suggested my Norwich bound service was a few mins late and due on Platform 8 - not unheard of. Just before its scheduled departure time the departure board changed to show it as "on time" and changing to platform 5 - I looked over and saw an EMT 158 in platform 5 and legged it over the bridge, got on just as the doors closed feeling pretty pleased with myself.

Then I saw the train pass Grindleford and suddenly it dawned on me what I had done.

Been there, done that, twice! Although I'm not sure I even had the excuse of platform changes on one occasion. Annoyingly, its first stop Stockport...
Also caught the EMT Sheffield-London service that missed out Chesterfield. Same service an hour earlier and an hour later stopped there. I think they have changed that now.
And when I was a school, commuting Harpenden-St Albans, managed to catch the one train in the morning rush hour that was direct Harpenden - Kings X TL.

Envy123

I know someone who changed from the Moorgate local to the semi-fast Cambridge service at Finsbury Park, and she ran to the other train immediately once the doors opened.

Turned out that the next station was Hatfield, for some very odd reason, and not Potters Bar so she had to take a local train back to Potters Bar.

Needless to say, she complained to Govia that the service did not call at Potters Bar.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I did it only the other day because I wasn't concentrating, and saw on the screen what I expected to see rather than what was actually there. Passengers make mistakes! It would be nice if TOCs let them off sometimes ;)

TOCs do let people off for their mistakes extremely frequently. What is seen on this forum is only a minority of those making mistakes. I can comfortably say that every day at work I see and speak to people who have made mistakes and do not suffer any sort of penalty as a result.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
TOCs do let people off for their mistakes extremely frequently. What is seen on this forum is only a minority of those making mistakes. I can comfortably say that every day at work I see and speak to people who have made mistakes and do not suffer any sort of penalty as a result.

I'd fully agree with this. People make mistakes frequently, and more often than not I'm inclined to let them off any charges they should theoretically incur and help them rectify their mistake - especially those who have booked connections etc.

Where I'm less inclined to help are those people blaming me for their own mistakes.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

I agree. The mistakes I made by a lack of concentration were not penalised, and I would guess that these sort of instances happen several times every day somewhere on the network.

No one is going to come here and ask for advice on what they should do after they have been let off.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I've been stuck on the wrong train three times and nearly done it a fourth time.

The First Occasion was during the Thameslink blockades in London, I was racing back home to see a football match, on TV, after work. I got a 1900 (I think) MML service out of St Pancras, knowing I could change trains at Luton and save myself 15 minutes on the journey home. Arriving at Luton I knew there was a 1924 service to Bedford calling all stations, so I hot footed it from Platform 5 to 3 and jumped on the waiting train just before the doors shut. It was only as the train thundered through Leagrave that I remembered there was an extra train in the evening at 1922, first stop Bedford! I missed half the match....

The second occasion was at Birmingham Moor Street, I had already been delayed getting there and, having never been there before, I somehow made it to the wrong platform, as a train was in the platform, and went the wrong way, Fortunately the mistake didn't result in any overall delay.

On the third occasion I was at Warrington Bank Quay, waiting to head to Wolverhampton for an onward connection. The departure boards showed my train, the announcements made were for my train, but the train that arrived wasn't my train. This only became apparent when an announcement was made after departure. As I was ultimately headed to Didcot I was not delayed by the diversion to Euston, and the staff were kind enough to let me travel onward with no penalty.

The other time, when I nearly went on the wrong train, was at Norwich. I had arrived in from Ely and went in search of a train to Cromer. I found a screen, looked up to see "Cromer" and the platform, ran to it and got on. A few moments later an announcement was made, it wasn't going to Cromer. So I went back to the departure screen and had another look. Turns out someone thought having an arrivals screen on the platform side of the ticket barrier was a good idea!.....

telstarbox

Established Member
I've gotten on a London to Gravesend via Sidcup train a few times wanting to go to Lee and have found it to be one of the two or three per day that's fast to New Eltham. Once I even encountered the mythical beast that is a Southeastern RPI block at New Eltham – luckily I was travelling on an Oyster Travelcard post-OEP. Have to be more careful now that I have a paper season ticket!

You do have to be on the ball with SE peak services out of Charing Cross and Cannon Street, where the first stop can be any of New Cross, Lewisham, Ladywell, Chelsfield, Hither Green, New Eltham, Sevenoaks, Rochester, High Brooms and there's probably a few more!

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Congratulations! I've twice made the same mistake at Victoria. When I lived in Bromley, all trains stopped at Bromley South. Unfortunately, the 1835 didn't - non stop to Chatham. Fortunately for me, the Connex staff (it was a while ago!) were considerate and didn't charge.

As a teenager, I also fell foul of the slightly odd platform numbering at Glasgow Queen Street, and caught a Dyce train instead of the Edinburgh I'd intended. Again, I was glad of a considerate guard.

There was also once an Ashford train in the pm peak that was fast from Victoria to Otford and that invariably caught out a few people for Bromley South, the staff at Otford just put them on the next train back with no additional charge.

fowler9

Established Member
A group of us went to Amsterdam a few years ago, one of the lads had been before and led us all down to the station. A train came in and he got on, I asked him if he was sure it was the right one and he said don't worry. We all piled on and a stag party and an older couple from or flight followed. After 5 stops I realised it wasn't going to Centraal so I asked a guy over the aisle. He laughed and told us it was going to Utrecht.

Luckily the next station was an interchange (Perhaps Zuid) with one line crossing another overhead with trains heading direct to Centraal. We all piled off and noticed the other groups getting off as well. Turned out they had followed us because we looked like we knew what wew were doing. Ha ha. Never trusted my mate with any travel arrangements again.

Shempz

I once got on the train at East Croydon, with the intention of going to Shepherds Bush....turned out I was on the non-stopping train to Brighton!

What had happened was they had changed the CIS on the platform to show the next train on Platform 2 at East Croydon before the current train in the platform had departed. I saw the CIS showing a Shep Bush train, hopped on, then a few secs later the doors shut, and I was on my way to Brighton.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member

I don't think I have ever charged up somebody who has made a genuine mistake, and a few times a week I have platform staff load somebody onto my train who is "geographically embarrassed", with the only concern being to get them to their destination.

You are trolling. Again.

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
I've had it happen a few times, such as at Glasgow Central (boarding a Neilston instead of a Newton via Maxwell Park), Southampton Central (boarding a first stop Swanwick instead of an all-stopper to Portsmouth) and, quite often, especially during the rebuild, Salford Crescent (getting the Southport via Bolton instead of the Southport via Walkden)

sarahj

Established Member
from what i see of folks, quite easy is the answer.

If its not folks wanting Gatwick on a Brighton Express, its the guy who jumped on my train last min at Worthing today fro Goring. Next stop Angmering. Marked his ticket for the trip back. Some you see as you check tickets 'where are you going, Right....'
Some are quite funny in a way. Like the girl who raced down the stairs at Havant and jumped on mine just as the doors closed, next stop Chichester. She wanted the Waterloo train. (only going to Petersfield as well.) Reminded her that if she wants to go to Petersfield, don't jump on a train that's green.

But years ago still remember on a ECML train that ran fast from Newcastle to Kings X*, as we passed non stop through York a little old lady was going. 'But I wanted York'. My 12 year old self thought it quite funny.

* the old Flying Scotsman. Edinburgh, Newcastle, Kings X.

Envy123

from what i see of folks, quite easy is the answer.

If its not folks wanting Gatwick on a Brighton Express, its the guy who jumped on my train last min at Worthing today fro Goring. Next stop Angmering. Marked his ticket for the trip back. Some you see as you check tickets 'where are you going, Right....'
Some are quite funny in a way. Like the girl who raced down the stairs at Havant and jumped on mine just as the doors closed, next stop Chichester. She wanted the Waterloo train. (only going to Petersfield as well.) Reminded her that if she wants to go to Petersfield, don't jump on a train that's green.

But years ago still remember on a ECML train that ran fast from Newcastle to Kings X*, as we passed non stop through York a little old lady was going. 'But I wanted York'. My 12 year old self thought it quite funny.

* the old Flying Scotsman. Edinburgh, Newcastle, Kings X.

It seems to be the case that both ECML semi-fast and local trains show up at the same time at Finsbury Park (at least when I'm on the local train back home). Which gives no time whatsoever to stop and check the departure boards. The train could very well have its next stop as Cambridge and it may catch out some passengers!

The ECML line has the most inconsistent stopping patterns out of any line I've seen in my life, that's for sure.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've got on the wrong train before - both times following a rather heavy drinking session at rugby matches.

First time wa son the way back to Waterloo from Twickenham. There wasn't a toilet on the train so I alighted at Clapham Junction to use the facilities. Getting back on the train my brother said 'get this one it goes to Victoria'. A few minutes later the lights started thinning out so we had to get out at East Croydon and double back.

Second time was at Kings Cross travelling back to Stevenage. Came down the escalators and managed to get platform 6 and 7 mixed up. 6 was the 1152 stopping at Stevenage and 7 was the xx44 Cambridge Cruiser. I knew it was the wrong train the moment it started to move too early! Thankfully it stopped at Letchworth so not the end of the world.

Didn't a former chairman of British Rail get on the wrong train at Crewe? Heading to a meeting in Carlisle I believe he managed to get on a non-stop Euston service. Pre mobile phone days too!

ASharpe

Shortly after reading this thread I managed to do it myself. Going from Bradford to Guildford on a hastily purchased advance fare, I got to Waterloo and looked at my "reservation" to see which train I should be on. Turned out to be a train from Victoria instead. A guard has let me travel on the next train to Guildford though.

I've had that route on itineraries before bit never been given fake reservations for it.

6Gman

Established Member
A group of us went to Amsterdam a few years ago, one of the lads had been before and led us all down to the station. A train came in and he got on, I asked him if he was sure it was the right one and he said don't worry. We all piled on and a stag party and an older couple from or flight followed. After 5 stops I realised it wasn't going to Centraal so I asked a guy over the aisle. He laughed and told us it was going to Utrecht.

Luckily the next station was an interchange (Perhaps Zuid) with one line crossing another overhead with trains heading direct to Centraal. We all piled off and noticed the other groups getting off as well. Turned out they had followed us because we looked like we knew what wew were doing. Ha ha. Never trusted my mate with any travel arrangements again.

The cricket team from a major railway office set off for a match in Buxton, changing trains at Manchester Picc. The principal organiser led them across to the appropriate platform and stepped aboard the "Buxton" train. One of his colleagues pointed out that an EMU was very unlikely to get to Buxton.

Said organiser was a Chief Controller for the Region.

:D

(allegedly)

plastictaffy

It seems to be very easily done at Euston. An 12 car splits three ways in the morning to form the xx46 Crewe, xx49 fast Brum, and the xx13 Leighton flier. No end of times, I have had people wanting the xx49 to Brum who have actually found themselves on the Crewe!!!

There are welcome hosts on the platform directing them, and we now leave the doors on the xx49 closed until the xx46 gets the nod to go, and still they get it wrong.

We also have an issue with trains that use platform 9, as the overground stops there, usually on top of the four car on the stops. Set off from Euston, once you get to Queen's park or so, they come knock on your door asking if you stop at Willesden Junction or similar!!! Unfortunately, the doors on the LM service aren't usually locked up, people see an open door on a train in their platform and get on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Arctic Troll mentioned some of the evening peak trains that run on a 'skip stop' pattern. A older lady got the hump with me a few weeks ago over the 1812. The 1712 stops at Apsley, she said, so it stands to reason the 1812 does too. Fair logic, I guess.

joke2711

Slightly off-topic but sort of funny none the less.

I travelled one summer morning and changed at Liverpool Moorfields. Wandered down to the Wirral Line to await a West Kirby train, just my luck one had just left so I settled for the 15 minute wait and observed a Lady with 2 young children getting more agitated by each passing train. I wandered over and asked her if she was okay and needed any help. She replied "I have travelled from Chester and taking the kids to Southport for the day, have been here an hour but still no train for Southport!" Politely told her that she couldn't catch a train to Southport on the Wirral line platform and politely pointed her in the direction of the Northern Line. She rather despondently informed me the she had been told to change trains at Moorfields, nothing about changing platforms.

Perhaps this is a common occurrence?

arb

Despite on train staff announcement (and PIS) splitting trains seem to cause problems.

On the Kings Cross - Cambridge - Kings Lynn trains, the on-train announcements that refer to just the front or back half of the train are next-to-useless for people who didn't pay attention in the station and weren't expecting the train to divide, because there's no labelling of carriages. So once you're on the train, it's impossible to tell whether you're in the front or back half, and hence whether you need to move or not. I've often wondered if it would be possible to play a different message to each half of the train?

Last weekend I travelled on a Southern train that split, and was pleasantly surprised to see the individual carriage numbers being announced and used to define where you had to be when the train split - much better than the Great Northern announcements.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
On the Kings Cross - Cambridge - Kings Lynn trains, the on-train announcements that refer to just the front or back half of the train are next-to-useless for people who didn't pay attention in the station and weren't expecting the train to divide, because there's no labelling of carriages. So once you're on the train, it's impossible to tell whether you're in the front or back half, and hence whether you need to move or not. I've often wondered if it would be possible to play a different message to each half of the train?
I assume these are recorded announcements rather than manual ones, but it shouldn't be that difficult - SWT guards do it on some of the trains that split at Bournemouth (and are thus too long for other stations along the route); there have been a few times (admittedly, they seem to be rare, but being done it is possible!) where I've heard 'If you're hearing this announcement, you are in the rear of the train and for *these stations* you'll need to move forward'.

Status
Not open for further replies.