• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Fast Are You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Very low considering I'm paying for 8 meg BB*. Might give Virgin media a call...

*(Before you start, I know it's up to 8 meg, but 2 meg is a bit of a joke really. It is possibly possible to raise my profile depending on the SNR being high enough).

EDIT: The line is capable of 7meg, so they'll be getting a phone call all right...

Last edited:

LondonBVE

From London:

From Singapore (Recommended):

I felt cheated for the upload speed since they promise 512kbps. Oh and their Network programs says I am using 3.5mbps and if you reinstall the program it will show 8mbps! :shock:

Craig

Established Member
*(Before you start, I know it's up to 8 meg, but 2 meg is a bit of a joke really. It is possibly possible to raise my profile depending on the SNR being high enough).

That'll be their new "traffic shaping" policy AKA capping speeds at peak periods because they don't want to upgrade their hardware. Try again at a quieter time and you'll probably get better results.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gateshead

20:30 on a Friday evening probably isn't the best time to test it though :lol:

Slightly better on a Saturday afternoon :lol:

mbonwick

Established Member
Can't be bothered to post mine up. I always think that these speed tests aren't the most accurate thing to gauge you connection on; theres so many potential sticking points. I just use my routers reported speeds which currently are:

Down:6944 Kb/S
Up:448 Kb/S

me123

Established Member
That'll be their new "traffic shaping" policy AKA capping speeds at peak periods because they don't want to upgrade their hardware. Try again at a quieter time and you'll probably get better results.

Ahh, yes. The good old (un)FUP. I don't even use the internet that much! I imagine this site isn't particularly big and the others certainly aren't...

Craig

Established Member
Ahh, yes. The good old (un)FUP. I don't even use the internet that much! I imagine this site isn't particularly big and the others certainly aren't...

It doesn't matter how much you use it, they're still capping speeds at peak times (evenings mostly).

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Hull...

...although I am doing this through the wireless dongle, which is a bit slower than on the main family pc direct through the router. I get more like 2500-3000 kb/s there (although still very low considering we're paying for 8 MG!)

Status
Not open for further replies.