• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How late is irritating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
What is the relevance ?

Train operators advertise that their trains, running on dedicated infrastructure, will arrive and depart at specific times. A car journey has no such timings and the route will be open to all manner of other, similarly unitmed, vehicles.

The comparison may have been more valid if you had compared the rail journey to a bus journey which does have a timetable. Most bus companies, though, have a disclaimer around 'traffic conditions'.

No there are plenty of other factors that can affect train punctuality as well. If you are talking about a self contained line such as the tube then I could go with that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
I thought everying that ran on the rails was timed to the 1/2 minute. Am I mistaken ?

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
I think confirmation bias is a major issue. Trains sometimes run late, especially at this time of year, but people only mentally record the ones that don't run as planned. When driving people often don't do this

This can be complicated by having a boss who drives in to work. They will generally be more sympathetic to people having problems on the road. If your train or bus is delayed then you should be catching an earlier one.

fowler9

Established Member
My point is as I stated in reponse to 12CVST - train journeys are scheduled to run at specific times and are advertised as such in advance, car journeys are not.

Stuff happens, what would you have the train operators do?

sheff1

Established Member
Stuff happens, what would you have the train operators do?

What makes you think I want them to do anything ? I was responding to posts firstly from 12CVST and then notadriver.

Are you disputing the fact that train journeys have scheduled timings whilst car journeys do not ?

fowler9

Established Member
What makes you think I want them to do anything ? I was responding to posts firstly from 12CVST and then notadriver.

Are you disputing the fact that train journeys have scheduled timings whilst car journeys do not ?

No mate. Are you saying you made a comment about trains not running to schedule but you don't want them to do anything about it?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have seen many a commuter on a London undergound platform getting rather annoyed that a train pulled out without them on it. This despite the fact that the next train is 1 minute behind :lol:

But that will be a London Underground minute, not your usual minute we are talking about here. ;)

talltim

Established Member
Going back to obviously incorrect times on departure boards, remember these aren't arrival times. If it is displaying On Time a minute before departure and the train is just pulling in, the chances are it will still be late. (Especially if the train reverses and the driver has to fight his way through the passengers, looking at you Liverpool-Notwich services!)

infobleep

Veteran Member
All my rail travel is for work or commuting. Generally speaking delays on the way home are more irritaing as thats my time!

Delays of just under a delay repay cutoff point are irritating as are numerous announcements tellings us nothing new. Just missing connections so you see them pull out is particularaly irritating.

Announcements that delays are caused by "congestion" are ver very irritating and used to be a favourite of South Eastern. Fortunately they have now changed them to say congestion caused by x, y and z.

They don't do that on SWT. In fact SWT generally ignore congestion I find.

A 10 min delays caused by broken rail will get a general online announcement but 10 min delays due to congestion won't.

I am far more understanding of delays when they tell us what is the reason.

I've now taken to twitter and I now tweet any delays for multiple trains that do not have a general announcement from SWT when I'm travelling. It's mostly congestion delays of course. I copy them in too. They certainly don't retweet it or pick up on it. Makes me wonder if they have procedures in place to ignore congestion delays.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk

infobleep

Veteran Member
So far since January on only 5 days have all the trains I've travelled on all been on time. I travel Monday you Friday and some weekends too. Being late also applies at weekends. This shows how impossible it is to run trains to time.

Most delays will be small buy they soon add up when combined. Rarely will I have been able to claim compensation. One time I didn't claim because the staff at York station were really helpful so I thought these things happen. However had it been SWT I would have as in my mind I'd be claiming for all the tines they don't give out information, rather than the big delay when they did. Legally though it's the big delay that I'd get compensation for.

trainophile

Established Member
So far since January on only 5 days have all the trains I've travelled on all been on time. I travel Monday you Friday and some weekends too. Being late also applies at weekends. This shows how impossible it is to run trains to time.

Most delays will be small buy they soon add up when combined. Rarely will I have been able to claim compensation. One time I didn't claim because the staff at York station were really helpful so I thought these things happen. However had it been SWT I would have as in my mind I'd be claiming for all the tines they don't give out information, rather than the big delay when they did. Legally though it's the big delay that I'd get compensation for.

Our Yorkie perhaps? :lol:

Funny you should mention that, as I keep meaning to mention that when we went to York for the first time a couple of months ago, we'd hardly got off the train and were looking around enjoying the station (we love stations - mostly!), an employee came over to us and asked us if we needed any help. We said thanks but I think we're okay, we're just getting our bearings. He then said "are you going to the Museum by any chance?" As we were indeed intending to do that, he volunteered directions! We were well impressed, it was certainly above and beyond his responsibilities :D.

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
I'm not too bothered about delays usually, it is annoying if I have a connection to make (e.g. at Newport) and I have missed it a few times in the past, but now I just try to make sure I have at least a 30 minute gap between connections. I do get delays most days, but they are rarely over 15 minutes. It's another one of those FGW station screen situations, where it goes past "on time" and then just keeps adding on minutes that annoy me I think. I also appreciate it when they give reasons for delays but the "waiting for a train crew" etc is the one that annoys me most.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Yestersay I had to skip 3 Clapham Junction - East Croydon trains to get a seat in 1st!

JB25

Generally trains being late doesn't irritate me as there is usually a good reason for it. What really gets me though is when you arrive on a platform the train is shown on time then suddenly at the time it is due to arrive it then starts showing a delay. It happened to me two weeks ago... Waiting for the 01:15 Clapham to Wimbledon so I could get home after my shift... Gets to about 01:14.38 then changes to 2 mins late, then another 2 mins and so on. The train turned up 11 minutes late. Really frustrating when you are tired and just want to get home.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Classic one this afternoon at MAN. 1430 to Milford Haven rolls in at 1415 bang on time, we all pile on (actually there weren't very many of us for some reason), time gets to 1431 and departure board changes to "expected 1431" then at 1432 it changes to "expected at 1432"... and this continues in one minute increments until 1500 when we finally get away.

We were informed that there was a problem with the brakes being stuck on :shock: so no-one's 'fault', but it was quite amusing to watch the single minute increments when we were already close to the end of the 'new' departure time. If anyone was in a hurry they'd have lost the will to live, but I just sat and enjoyed having a whole coach to myself for a while :D. Slightly disconcerted in case they had to abort the whole thing and crowd us on to the next one, but fortunately that didn't happen.

Anyway I got home today, albeit a little late, which is an improvement on my attempts last Thursday!

Markdvdman

Arriva are dreadful for info boards. Constantly On Time when clearly not etc.

Today, my train left Barry island 11 mins late and flew through Cadoxton, meaning a wait for the next train which is 30 mins. It often happens, yet the next train was 9 mins late, and that went all stations and arrived only 3 mins late into Pontypridd.

They do it often, and I leave on the first train from Merthyr at 6:38am - which again OFTEN gets to Cadoxton 5 to 10 mins late (mainly due to Cardiff). It means I am often late for worker, and for posters saying get an earlier train - I cannot as there isn't one!

I despise cancelled trains on the way home as I get precious little home time due to work.

It happens a lot on arriva these days due to broken down pacers.

It could be worse though, getting a train 30 mins late is better than none at all :)

infobleep

Veteran Member
Irritating is a train being 5 mins late into Haywards Heath due to tresspass incident according to National Rail Enquiries and the next two trains being 11 mins and 10 min late into Haywards Heath with no reason given.

Why is the train with a shorter delay more important in term of info given. Needless to say guard said nothing either. Platform staff at least made announcements as to where to go to catch trains but no reason given.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Irritating is a train being 5 mins late into Haywards Heath due to tresspass incident according to National Rail Enquiries and the next two trains being 11 mins and 10 min late into Haywards Heath with no reason given.

Why is the train with a shorter delay more important in term of info given. Needless to say guard said nothing either. Platform staff at least made announcements as to where to go to catch trains but no reason given.

It might simply be that NRES has been given the reason for the first and not given it for the other two, I doubt it has any anything to do with importance.

WestCoast

Established Member
I tend to get irritated at delays which lead to me missing a connection, in particular those that delay me by more than an hour. When I'm travelling for leisure then even that doesn't particularly bother me, however if I'm running late for something because of it then I become more irritated.

On the Cross City Line, I tend to find it's more noteworthy that a train is on time (:lol:), especially at New Street where the trains inevitably pick up delays during peak congestion. I tend to find delays are not a hindrance, unless there's severe disruption for one reason or another. Of course commuting on an (sub)urban line with an every 10 minutes core service is a completely different experience to what longer-distance commuters experience.

thelem

As I'm waiting at a station, 5 minutes, depending on if I went to the station specifically for that train and how the information is changing. If I'm on the train and I don't have anywhere particular to be, then about 20% of my intended journey time, and I mind even less if I can see what time I'm going to arrive at my station (like the Pendolinos). If I have a short connection, then if I miss it.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I get irritated by trains that are shewn expected on Time, the time passes and they disappear from the screen. An example being if the incoming train is late and nobody manually picks up on the fact the return will be late and manuallyn inputs a revised late departure time. A case I encountered was back in the Summer when due to a failure trains from Portsmouth and Taunton to Cardiff were disrupted. I was waiting for the 13 30 Cardiff to Portsmouth Hbr which was shewn On Time, but suspecting something following snippets of info,, I went on ahead to Newport and the same shewing on the screens. Approx 13 34 it had just disappeared from the Screen which resulted in passengers making enquiries only to discover it was cancelled (starting from Bristol TM). If this had been known by passengers those for a variety of destinations could have been advised to travel on the 13 25 ex Cardiff to Paddington and change at Bristol Parkway. Although an FGW train the stations are ATW and it is their responsibility to update the CIS there on receiving the relevant info from FGW/Network Rail. A copy of the advice saying all trains between Bristol and Cardiff were terminating/starting Bristol TM was posted on this Forum at the time but ATW had failed to act on it. Passenegers were told to catch the next train, but again doubts were cast as to whether it was running or not.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It might simply be that NRES has been given the reason for the first and not given it for the other two, I doubt it has any anything to do with importance.

Well may be they should be given reason for all three.

Someone should be able to give one reason and then if other trains also affected, add those to the same group as the first so they automatically get updated. In turn this might also auto update NRE. May be that I'd already the type of process that is in place technology wise.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Also irritating is deciding to get up earlier you go into work earlier and finding the trains delayed. Even more irritating is missing 2 connecting trains you might have caught, which left on time and then finding all connecting trains after that are running with delays. Then with NRE not commenting much on your delays that just makes it worse.

It may be minor but minor can be iterating for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.