• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many people still have no bank account and still have no smartphones or computers or internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Corner

Established Member
People seem to have become slaves to their smartphones from my observations - they have certainly killed the art of conversation :idea:
We're having a conversation now. I bet I'm not the only one using a smartphone to participate :lol:

I suspect, but obviously do not know, that there will a significant overlap between those people and the circa 9 million functionally illiterate people in the UK.
I suspect some wil be halves of a couple where the bank account happens to be in the other half's name but it is used as a joint account.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
People seem to have become slaves to their smartphones from my observations - they have certainly killed the art of conversation :idea:
By the way some here insist that every aspect of our lives must involve carrying a smartphone (and nothing else) on our person at all times, I think that is feeding paranoia about flat phone batteries, losing one (or having it stolen) or any other event parting them from their life support.

Dai Corner

Established Member
By the way some here insist that every aspect of our lives must involve carrying a smartphone (and nothing else) on our person at all times, I think that is feeding paranoia about flat phone batteries, losing one (or having it stolen) or any other event parting them from their life support.
I used to worry much more about losing my wallet or having it stolen back in the day.

najaB

Veteran Member
I have never heard of being stranded because of a wallet's batteries being flat.
But, as a counterpoint, I've never been able to transfer money into my wallet from the other wallet that I left at home.

AM9

Veteran Member
I always carry a card wallet with me unless I'm within walking distance of home and very unlikely to need cash for anything. Since COVID, I rarely carry cash unless I know that it is needed.
I also normally carry a phone with me but that is (strangely enough) mainly for receiving/making calls/messages.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I suspect, but obviously do not know, that there will a significant overlap between those people and the circa 9 million functionally illiterate people in the UK.

I've mentioned before that I used to manage a Citizens Advice advice team, and that was certainly my experience. The main barriers to accessing banking are still illiteracy and access to appropriate ID.

This is correct, there is the Payment Exception Scheme that allows claimants alternative means of payment where they do not have access to a bank account

My experience is that getting DWP to agree to payment exceptions- the main ones being paid weekly/fortnightly and being paid in cash- was always more of a battle than it should have been. I hope it's improved.

AM9

Veteran Member
My experience is that getting DWP to agree to payment exceptions- the main ones being paid weekly/fortnightly and being paid in cash- was always more of a battle than it should have been. I hope it's improved.
The DfT is probably loaded with opportunists who say "cash is dead, get up to date or no deal". Maybe Cruella's next post when she's flushed out of her current one.

Bantamzen

Established Member
From a technical and process aspect it has, I couldn't comment on the end experience of claimants using it.

Cdd89

Established Member
The norm is to charge daily overnight. Thus as long as it has enough for one full day it is fine.
Which it doesn’t. (Maybe a day of light use).

Charging overnight is (or should be) an anachronism of slow charging. We should be embracing fast charging (not taking retrograde steps with nonsense like the ‘Port-less iPhone’).

AM9

Veteran Member

Charging overnight is (or should be) an anachronism of slow charging. We should be embracing fast charging (not taking retrograde steps with nonsense like the ‘Port-less iPhone’).
Fast charging shortens battery life.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Not a very good one then, unless you use it very heavily.

Why? Slow charging is better for the battery. Indeed, Apple's software optimises the charging speed so it takes a bit short of your normal sleeping time. I always have my phone by my bedside, charging it at the same time is a zero-effort default.

Gloster

Established Member
My iPad gets its charge in another room as otherwise it is likely to wake me without warning. Once or twice a day there is a loud ‘Ping’ as it alerts me to the fact that it has just received some vital piece of news, such as how to grow giant hogweed in a flat.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My iPad gets its charge in another room as otherwise it is likely to wake me without warning. Once or twice a day there is a loud ‘Ping’ as it alerts me to the fact that it has just received some vital piece of news, such as how to grow giant hogweed in a flat.

You might want to turn on Do Not Disturb overnight.

Gloster

Established Member
You might want to turn on Do Not Disturb overnight.

I do not know how to and won’t even try as I am more likely to do something drastically wrong, such as turn the screen black. Anyway, I am going to be asleep, or at least trying to, so why do I need the iPad in the same room?

Status
Not open for further replies.