• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Paragon new waiting room and retail units

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
I used it for the first time this morning. Why oh why have they filled it with non covered metal chairs and no train info screens?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
I used it for the first time this morning. Why oh why have they filled it with non covered metal chairs and no train info screens?

I would hazard a guess that the benches used are easy to clean and vandal proof.

Surprised no train info screens - perhaps they are to be fitted in the coming weeks?

westv

Established Member
I would hazard a guess that the benches used are easy to clean and vandal proof.

Comfort is clearly not a priority.
As far as I'm aware there were was never much of a problem with the seating in the previous bigger waiting room.

Mugby

Established Member
Is it a permanent structure? I saw it at the weekend with lots of people queuing to use the toilets (Big Weekend event) What is proposed for the location of the old waiting room and toilets? Noting that work is going on behind the screened of area, it's a bit late now for these alterations to coincide with the 2017 City of Culture!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Is it a permanent structure? I saw it at the weekend with lots of people queuing to use the toilets (Big Weekend event) What is proposed for the location of the old waiting room and toilets? Noting that work is going on behind the screened of area, it's a bit late now for these alterations to coincide with the 2017 City of Culture!

A number of new retail outlets are to be constructed, there are some images on the TPE website:

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/news/2017/02/14million-redevelopment-at-hull-paragon-begins-today/

westv

Established Member
I saw the news about the shops too. Presumably TPE are more interested in "retail opportunities" then they are in a decent waiting room.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I saw the news about the shops too. Presumably TPE are more interested in "retail opportunities" then they are in a decent waiting room.

'Retail opportunity' has been one of the undercurrents of practically every major station redevelopment in recent times (see also London Bridge, Birmingham New Street and the mezzanines at Euston and Waterloo).

sheff1

Established Member
'Retail opportunity' has been one of the undercurrents of practically every major station redevelopment in recent times (see also London Bridge, Birmingham New Street and the mezzanines at Euston and Waterloo).

Hmm. Hull has nowhere near the potential market of those places. There are already plenty of 'retail outlets' meeting the needs of rail travellers from Hull in the area opposite the bus departure bays and St Stephens is right next door. Will be interesting to see which " leading high street brands" take up the units in the station.

xc170

"Retail opportunities" who's rent goes towards paying for the maintenance and running of the railway?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Retail opportunities and a decent waiting room are not mutually exclusive.
Agreed. I'd give King's Cross as a good example of that; the balcony is a good place to wait and meet people, and there is a good range of retail facilities. OK so few stations are going to be anywhere near on this scale, but the principle should be possible at other relatively major stations such as Hull.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Agreed. I'd give King's Cross as a good example of that; the balcony is a good place to wait and meet people, and there is a good range of retail facilities. OK so few stations are going to be anywhere near on this scale, but the principle should be possible at other relatively major stations such as Hull.

agreed - but has that not been provided at Hull?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not sure why everyone is so concered about the size of this waiting room....

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm not sure why everyone is so concered about the size of this waiting room....

no scrolled backwinged leather armchairs, no anglepoise reading lamps with green shades, no attendants, no open fire, no cigars and certainly no cognacs? Oh for the 1880's ;)

DaiGog

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
Hull station / interchange has something of a problem with anti-social behaviour in the evenings. There is a security presence, but it is still felt necessary to close the waiting room and toilets earlier than perhaps they should be.

In light of this, while I don't like the seats either, they will deter 'undesirables' from hanging around in there too long, and are vandal-proof.

Mugby

Established Member
Is the concourse at Hull a public thoroughfare which must be permanently open or is the gate which leads out towards the car park closed at night?

shfchmbers

Hi,

I was in there a couple of hours ago and a contractor was going round bolting seat backs to the metal seats, so it's a start.

Still no screens though. And my train TPE to Man pic 185111 was booked to use
Platform 4 but ended up using 6 (and splitting) any one know why?

Cheers, George

lincolnshire

They may have put a glass box waiting room on the front of the old Pumkin cafe and replaced it with toilets as part of the improvements but the rest of the station looks a total mess. Old travel centre pre interchange days is totally fenced off with 6ft high steel sheet fencing, it has now become difficult to find your way to the trains. I see they have stuck paper signs on it to direct people to the toilets, they should have put signs on it to direct passengers to get on to the platforms.
Only the other day while in Hull a young guy asked me where the trains went from, as all he could see was the bus section of the interchange till I took him to the platforms so he could find his train hidden by all the steel sheet fencing.
The re-signalling into Hull was put back till 2018 because of the Year of Culture, well done Network Rail.
So what do Trans Pennine Express do start knocking the station about and demolishing the old travel centre right in the middle of the station and to rebuild the area with more retail outlets in June! six months into the Year of Culture when more visitors from away are likely to be coming to Hull.
Where was the planning in that? will it be all finished before December and the end of the Year of Culture.
Is Hull,s Year of Culture also going to be culture and civil engineering? as they are still trying to finnish the repaving of the city centre streets etc another project that has over run.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
no scrolled backwinged leather armchairs, no anglepoise reading lamps with green shades, no attendants, no open fire, no cigars and certainly no cognacs? Oh for the 1880's ;)

It has never been the same since the railway companies stopped running those excellent "Club Trains" for businessmen travelling to Manchester to "go on 'change"...:D

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
...Old travel centre pre interchange days is totally fenced off with 6ft high steel sheet fencing, it has now become difficult to find your way to the trains. I see they have stuck paper signs on it to direct people to the toilets, they should have put signs on it to direct passengers to get on to the platforms...
So what do Trans Pennine Express do start knocking the station about and demolishing the old travel centre right in the middle of the station and to rebuild the area with more retail outlets in June!...

I'm presuming the old travel centre is what was until recently the indoor waiting room / toilets?

lincolnshire

I'm presuming the old travel centre is what was until recently the indoor waiting room / toilets?

Yes thats correct, its last use was waiting room and toilets. It was made redundant after then the train ticket staff relocated to the Interchange Travel Centre along with National Travel & East Yorkshire Travel staff.

westv

Established Member
Still no sight (as of Monday) of passenger info screens.
The old waiting room also had (until it broke) info for departing buses.

lincolnshire

Last time I went through Paragon Station it was a steel fence 2m high surrounding what was the old Travel Centre. The old Travel centre had been demolished, the fence was occupying a large area making it difficult to get to the platforms if you didn,t know the station. there was signs pointing to the waiting room and toilets but nothing pointing you in the direction of the trains.
All in the year of culture in Hull where visitors arriving by train must wonder what they have come to visit, not a very good introduction to the city.
Why didn,t they wait till after the year of culture events had finished, as what they are doing with the new signalling been installed as its not going to be ready till early 2018.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have never known such an obsession with a waiting room or a fence! I best not set out my view of Hull which in no way is coloured by the fact the evil ex lives there.

westv

Established Member
I have never known such an obsession with a waiting room or a fence!

Well this is the "Hull Paragon new waiting room and retail units" thread so what would you expect. :p:lol:

I tweeted TPE about this morning's closure but they ignored the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.