• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

Teapot42

Is this on the basis that Stagecoach's buses weren't the best? Maybe it was a case of just dipping their toes in the market this year, and next year, knowing the market and demand better, they could use something more modern?
No, it's more the route isn't that scenic. Much of it is down tree-lined roads, most of the way from Baslow to Bakewell for example. If they ran up via Eyam, Foolow and Tideswell to Ashford (Via Monsal Head) there would be much better views. Not sure if the direct route from Monsal Head to Ashford is viable by open top bus though, and they can't go via Great Longstone due to the low bridge. (Again why I think a single decker open top might be better in this area)

The run up past Surprise View was one of the main draws for the Breezer, so if that could also be incorporated in to an open top network it would be a big draw as well.

One thing I did wonder though, is open top such a big draw? If comfortable buses with big panoramic windows were used, would that attract as many people? They'd be viable for more of the year and be more comfortable in general. One reason I missed out on the Breezer is that by the time it had settled down the weather went really sunny and as I burn easily an open top bus in the height of summer didn't seem that great an idea.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Maybe next year Hulley's could always reintroduce Breezer but run it between Buxton and Huddersfield, an open topper to Holmfirth would certainly bring in the punters provided that its marketed at non bus users.
I do hope that was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion
If I was planning it, I'd have a bus running south from Manchester through Rusholme to Fallowfield, then on to the A34 and Airport Link Road. That would pass by a lot of student accommodation and thereby remove the need for them to travel in to the centre of Manchester, making it much more time competitive.

To be honest, Chinese students are a massive up-tapped market. Many who come here have very rich parents so anyone prepared to say buy a couple of small coaches, kit them out well and arrange tours with a Mandarin-speaking guide could charge a lot of money. I wish I had the money and contacts to start such a business, sadly I don't...
I'm confused by this. On one hand, students are a massive untapped market but you'd use a route that would bypass student accommodation?

In any case, I'm not convinced that there's so much of a market from Manchester to Chatsworth, lovely as it is, that would be profitable.
Is this on the basis that Stagecoach's buses weren't the best? Maybe it was a case of just dipping their toes in the market this year, and next year, knowing the market and demand better, they could use something more modern?
They were planning to have 3 e400s converted by Plaxton. One got done but they weren't able to meet the timelines so Stagecoach drafted in some elderly Tridents to cover the shortfall

MotCO

Established Member
One thing I did wonder though, is open top such a big draw? If comfortable buses with big panoramic windows were used, would that attract as many people? They'd be viable for more of the year and be more comfortable in general. One reason I missed out on the Breezer is that by the time it had settled down the weather went really sunny and as I burn easily an open top bus in the height of summer didn't seem that great an ididea.
But does a open top bus attract a different clientele? Open toppers attract tourists; a closed top would be seen as just another bus route full of schoolkids.

Teapot42

But does a open top bus attract a different clientele? Open toppers attract tourists; a closed top would be seen as just another bus route full of schoolkids.
Yes, but most open toppers in this country either crawl along a promenade or around a city. Out in the countryside with longer distances to travel I'm not so sure it's the ideal approach. And I'm thinking something slightly more pleasant to ride on that justifies the premium price. Maybe 2+1 seating, better leg room, big windows, and that only stops at the attractions along the route, not every lamp-post as services buses can.

I can see a benefit in limited open-top routes around the Peak District, maybe say Owler Bar to Castleton (linking with 218 / 257 / 272) and Chatsworth to Bakewell, but for the really scenic rides I think a higher spec closed top would have more tourist appeal.

I believe the 272 from Sheffield is only running between Sheffield and Bamford this week due to roadworks
Yes, I noticed that from the Derbyshire timetables site. There is a shuttle bus to Castleton, but the times only seem to be for limited 272s, not every journey.

Nothing posted on Hulley's facebook and they've stopped using XTwitter for announcements, so I can only hope locals have been informed and not many tourists want to use it.

Killingworth

Established Member
Yes, but most open toppers in this country either crawl along a promenade or around a city. Out in the countryside with longer distances to travel I'm not so sure it's the ideal approach. And I'm thinking something slightly more pleasant to ride on that justifies the premium price. Maybe 2+1 seating, better leg room, big windows, and that only stops at the attractions along the route, not every lamp-post as services buses can.

I can see a benefit in limited open-top routes around the Peak District, maybe say Owler Bar to Castleton (linking with 218 / 257 / 272) and Chatsworth to Bakewell, but for the really scenic rides I think a higher spec closed top would have more tourist appeal.

Yes, I noticed that from the Derbyshire timetables site. There is a shuttle bus to Castleton, but the times only seem to be for limited 272s, not every journey.

Nothing posted on Hulley's facebook and they've stopped using XTwitter for announcements, so I can only hope locals have been informed and not many tourists want to use it.
Residents in the valley are very well aware of the bridge work that is causing the road closure. For the majority who drive cars, vans or trucks there are alternative routes but they aren't suitable for scheduled bus services.

It would be interesting to know if there's been any noticeable increase in rail passenger numbers during the closure period.

Teapot42

It would be interesting to know if there's been any noticeable increase in rail passenger numbers during the closure period.
Not sure if there are facilities to turn trains, but they could almost run a bus replacement train service between Bamford and Hope... Certainly sidings at Hope, but not sure at the Bamford end.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

That might have been true in the past. However, I can think of (and have experienced) numerous OT services that are longer distance and are used to view the scenery viz:

Somerset (Exmoor)
Cornwall (Atlantic Coast, Land's End)
Dorset (Portland, Jurassic Coast, Breezer)
IOW (Breezer)
Devon (Barnstaple to Croyde)
Cumbria (Borrowdale, Windermere to Grasmere)

Hopefully, the Stagecoach offering can be revised to incorporate the best bits of the Hulley service but with much better execution (as originally envisaged).

Goldfish62

Established Member
Hopefully, the Stagecoach offering can be revised to incorporate the best bits of the Hulley service but with much better execution (as originally envisaged).
I hope so too.

In his recent blog Roger French alluded to Hulley's commercial registration of the Breezer coming as a surprise to DCC and Stagecoach resulting in the Sightseer having to be revised to a less than optimal routeing.

I would certainly want to see the Sightseer connecting with the Hope Valley line (Hathersage being the obvious place, as well as serving Castleton and perhaps even Winnat's Pass, which the erstwhile Hope Valley Explorer used to, and the very poorly advertised Sundays only Hulley's route (I forget the number) still does.

Teapot42

In his recent blog Roger French alluded to Hulley's commercial registration of the Breezer coming as a surprise to DCC and Stagecoach resulting in the Sightseer having to be revised to a less than optimal routeing.
I'm not sure who fed Roger that line, as it will have come as no surprise to Derbyshire County Council as the registration was agreed with them as part of the negotiations about running the open top services. The original plan was to work together, Stagecoach were being picky so Hulleys in effect said let me run this bit and let Stagecoach have the BSIP money. Considering Stagecoach also got a nice package of paid-for advertising I think this was a bad move by Hulleys, but whether Stagecoach would ever have worked together is open to question.

Open top 80

I hope so too.

I would certainly want to see the Sightseer connecting with the Hope Valley line (Hathersage being the obvious place, as well as serving Castleton and perhaps even Winnat's Pass, which the erstwhile Hope Valley Explorer used to, and the very poorly advertised Sundays only Hulley's route (I forget the number) still does.
The Hulleys bus was the 260 that ran from Edale Station to Castleton

Attachments

• 6179094795_edf9da0a48_h.jpg
    6179094795_edf9da0a48_h.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 34

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'm not sure who fed Roger that line, as it will have come as no surprise to Derbyshire County Council as the registration was agreed with them as part of the negotiations about running the open top services. The original plan was to work together, Stagecoach were being picky so Hulleys in effect said let me run this bit and let Stagecoach have the BSIP money. Considering Stagecoach also got a nice package of paid-for advertising I think this was a bad move by Hulleys, but whether Stagecoach would ever have worked together is open to question.
DCC would have had no right not to agree the registration.

I note that in their publicity Stagecoach advertised connections on to the Peak Sightseer including Hulley's 170, but no such reciprocal arrangements from Hulley's. With hindsight it's just as well that Stagecoach didn't advertise the Breezer as a connection as well.

JD2168

There was a bus from Manchester to the Peak District in the late 80s early 90s as I still have the timetable 395 Manchester to Castleton via the snake pass and the 460 Rochdale and Oldham to Matlock Bath via Chatsworth house and the 901 Huddersfield to Crich tramway museum via Buxton and Hartington (for Dovedale)
I believe High Peak still run an extension of the 58 from Macclesfield that usually terminates at Buxton to Chatsworth House on Summer Sunday & Bank Holiday Monday.

MadMarsupial

I believe High Peak still run an extension of the 58 from Macclesfield that usually terminates at Buxton to Chatsworth House on Summer Sunday & Bank Holiday Monday.
Yes two services in each direction to Chatsworth on Sundays according to the High Peak Website timetable.

Teapot42

DCC would have had no right not to agree the registration.

I note that in their publicity Stagecoach advertised connections on to the Peak Sightseer including Hulley's 170, but no such reciprocal arrangements from Hulley's. With hindsight it's just as well that Stagecoach didn't advertise the Breezer as a connection as well.
I thought the local authority was the only body that could prevent a service registration? Certainly the Traffic Commissioner can't.

There isn't really that much of a link between the Breezer and any Stagecoach service. I am actually quite surprised Stagecoach mentioned the 170 however as apparently the whole open top debacle has really pushed relations between the two companies - which were quite good in the recent past. Under the previous Stagecoach MD they had a 'non-aggression pact' to not step on each other's toes. That's obviously long gone.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I thought the local authority was the only body that could prevent a service registration? Certainly the Traffic Commissioner can't.
No, local authorities have no powers to prevent a service registration. You might be thinking of the 28-day pre-registration period.

mk1979

Good evening @Teapot42 ,

A friend brought my attention to your contribution to this forum where I am referenced on several occasions by yourself and those references are, to put it politely, misleading. I don’t know where you are getting some of this twaddle from but I’m happy to set the record straight.

Throughout my career in transport I’ve always tried to support enthusiasts and recognise that canteen gossip, bus stop and platform end rumours can get out of hand and that is perhaps where some of this comes from.

Don't forget that Stagecoach also had one big advantage that Hulleys didn't, in that they got a significant sum of BSIP money to run the service, so were able to better resource it. They pretty much doomed the Breezer from the outset by wanting to go their own way rather than running the joint service that was originally the idea. I'm sure people will say that was a good idea in hindsight, but if Hulleys had been sharing the BSIP funding they could well have been in a better position themselves to attract drivers and possibly have a spare bus available.

The Peak Sightseer received BSIP funding to extend the season. The route runs on a commercial basis during the peak season, similar to the Breezer.

All operators in Derbyshire had the opportunity to bid for the BSIP funding. We submitted a bid that was accepted.

There was never a proposal for a joint service.

I had a bit of a heated argument with the Stagecoach MD about this. His take was that to have accepted Wayfarers and passes would have meant a larger subsidy would have been needed. To me, that just means the service as conceived wasn't viable, at least not with an operator who seemingly wasn't prepared to take any commercial risk themselves.

It wasn’t a heated argument from my perspective @Teapot42 , you simply stated something that was factually wrong and I corrected you. You appeared to accept that correction.

The maths is simple, if we accepted Wayfarer tickets we would be carrying people for free on a route that has cost a lot of money to establish and a big amount of commercial risk to set up. Instead we offer a one third discount to Wayfarer users which costs the user £4 instead of £6 for unlimited travel on the route on the day.

For every customer we carry for free that’s £4 less that contributes to the viability of the route.

The MD claimed he'd wanted to do this for years. Hard to dispute that either way, he's new to the area so it might well be the case. Personally, I think they didn't do it earlier because it would mean commitment to an area outside their normal operating scope.

That's not entirely true, I've summarised elsewhere on social media (twitter and linkedin I think) how the idea came about. No doubt when the time is right there'll be the opportunity to share more of the behind the scenes story of how we developed the route. We've been operating the 65 to Buxton for a number of years and the X17 to Matlock (and its predecessors) for longer than I care to remember.

They've never been interested in the Peak District in the past despite their being good opportunities to link up with their operations in Manchester for tourist services.

That's not true, before my time but we picked up the 65 and Matlock local routes several years ago pre pandemic and continue to operate them to this day.

I've come from our Manchester operations, with franchising happening there is zero opportunity to run routes from that direction.

I'm not sure if they are locked in to this run next year, in some ways I hope not as it doesn't really do the Peak District justice.

You really are determined to see us fail aren't you? Thankfully many thousands of customers disagree with you.

Yes, but most open toppers in this country either crawl along a promenade or around a city.

Not true again, I spent four years running open toppers very successfully on the Isle of Wight including the Needles Breezer and Downs Breezer, both of which are a similar concept of linking tourist attractions in a largely rural area. Before that I ran the First operation in Weymouth including the open topper to Portland Bill.

My colleagues in Cumbria have decades of experience running the 599 in Cumbria and my former colleagues in First and Go-Ahead have successfully run the New Forest tour, Exmoor Coaster and many other hugely successful rural open top bus routes.

The original plan was to work together, Stagecoach were being picky so Hulleys in effect said let me run this bit and let Stagecoach have the BSIP money.

This is utter cobblers :rolleyes:

Considering Stagecoach also got a nice package of paid-for advertising I think this was a bad move by Hulleys, but whether Stagecoach would ever have worked together is open to question.

The only paid advertising the Peak Sightseer has benefited from is what we have spent ourselves, we have invested a lot of our own money into making this a success as we see a potential market. We spent a huge amount of time and used our experience in leisure services (including open toppers - including those above), destination marketing, and a huge amount of research into who visits the Peak District plus talking extensively with tourism partners to understand the potential market.

Partners, including Visit Peak District whos video I suspect you are referring to, have chosen to promote the route because they see benefit in doing so and want to see it succeed. That particular video was created before we knew what they were planning and I understand went on to be their best performing video of all time - just goes to show people really love an open top bus ride in beautiful countryside.

Wrong. The Traffic Commissioner has the ultimate decision on whether to approve a service registration or not.

There isn't really that much of a link between the Breezer and any Stagecoach service. I am actually quite surprised Stagecoach mentioned the 170 however as apparently the whole open top debacle has really pushed relations between the two companies - which were quite good in the recent past. Under the previous Stagecoach MD they had a 'non-aggression pact' to not step on each other's toes. That's obviously long gone.

This is where your posts really push the boundaries. Aggression in business is illegal, a pact that you suggest is illegal. If it was true, and for the avoidance of doubt it definitely isn't, it is the kind of stuff that people go to prison for.

The 170 was featured, alongside other operator routes to show how people can connect into the Peak Sightseer - it is after all the main bus route to Chesterfield. We take an altruistic view of promoting other bus services as our main competitor is the car, not other bus routes or operators.

Hopefully this post puts to bed some of silly nonsense I have read. I've always been happy to support and assist enthusiasts including sharing insider information (within reason), fleet changes and plans and arranging the occasional depot visit for those interested. I've even been known to present to respected societies such as the Provincial Society, regional bus user groups and the Southdown group plus appearing at the occasional bus rally as a judge.

I do understand that sometimes the rumour mill and peoples enthusiasm can get carried away and everyone has their favourites and that sometimes colours judgement but constant twaddle gives enthusiasts a bad name and does nothing to encourage myself and my peers to support and nurture the wider enthusiast movement.

I'm happy to answer any reasonable questions and will dip into the bus threads from time to time to answer reasonable queries now I've discovered the forum. You never know from time to time I might be able to answer the odd rail query given the relationships we have with others in that sector.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

derbybusdepot

It is a shame that the breezer failed, but no matter how much hard work was put in to the marketing and behind the scenes it would never work with that timetable - alot of resources must have been wasted. Simple as that. Whether or not it was made hourly to be eligible for the BSIP money makes no odds - in the end this was used to back a better service which, from what I can see, has proved to be operated well by Stagecoach, and I feel that was the correct choice.

It would be interesting to know who the service has appealled to the most. People who have driven and parked in the area, or those travelling by public transport.

Teapot42

It is a shame that the breezer failed, but no matter how much hard work was put in to the marketing and behind the scenes it would never work with that timetable - alot of resources must have been wasted. Simple as that. Whether or not it was made hourly to be eligible for the BSIP money makes no odds - in the end this was used to back a better service which, from what I can see, has proved to be operated well by Stagecoach, and I feel that was the correct choice.

It would be interesting to know who the service has appealled to the most. People who have driven and parked in the area, or those travelling by public transport.
I don't believe the Breezer received any BSIP money? At least that's what I've heard, so the frequency doesn't appear linked to that.

I've already made my views on BSIP money for the Peak Sightseer known - ploughing money in to that when local services were already not great and have been cut further as a result was not a correct choice by any means.

Despite being local I did drive when I used the PS and would have driven for the Breezer, simply because the Chesterfield to Baslow link isn't great since the loss of the X70.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don't believe the Breezer received any BSIP money? At least that's what I've heard, so the frequency doesn't appear linked to that.

I've already made my views on BSIP money for the Peak Sightseer known - ploughing money in to that when local services were already not great and have been cut further as a result was not a correct choice by any means.
Correct, it didn't receive BSIP money.

Remember that BSIP funding (as opposed to BSIP+ funding) is ring-fenced and cannot not be used to prop up existing services. Any bids received by the DfT on that basis would be rejected. Part of Derbyshire's successful BSIP bid was based on introducing new services in the Peak district to tap into tourism and reduce the number of private car journeys. Quite clearly the Peak Sightseer falls into this category. BSIP funding requires clear evidence from the local authority that the funding that is allocated to the initiatives in the BSIP bid. Otherwise the money has to be returned to the DfT.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the initial plans for the Peak Sightseer were for it to connect with the Hope Valley line, but obviously with Hulley's commercial registration that had to be revised.

Unfortunately my planned day out travelling by train to Hathersage then Breezer to Baslow, then Peak Sightseer and return was completely messed up by the non-appearance of the Breezer (and complete social media silence from the operator).

Teapot42

Correct, it didn't receive BSIP money.

Remember that BSIP funding (as opposed to BSIP+ funding) is ring-fenced and cannot not be used to prop up existing services. Any bids received by the DfT on that basis would be rejected. Part of Derbyshire's successful BSIP bid was based on introducing new services in the Peak district to tap into tourism and reduce the number of private car journeys. Quite clearly the Peak Sightseer falls into this category. BSIP funding requires clear evidence from the local authority that the funding that is allocated to the initiatives in the BSIP bid. Otherwise the money has to be returned to the DfT.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the initial plans for the Peak Sightseer were for it to connect with the Hope Valley line, but obviously with Hulley's commercial registration that had to be revised.

Unfortunately my planned day out travelling by train to Hathersage then Breezer to Baslow, then Peak Sightseer and return was completely messed up by the non-appearance of the Breezer (and complete social media silence from the operator).
It appears that BSIP money can be used to support existing services, although this was only clarified earlier this year so likely too late to make a difference here.

For the record, I'm not against the Peak Sightseer as such, more I feel a softer introduction with the known issues of driver and vehicle shortages in the area would have been more sensible, and possibly a first year plan for the summer season only, not right up to Christmas. I'd imagine much of the support would be to cover the quieter months where loads are likely to be affected by poor weather.

Hulleys go through phases where their social comms are very good then drop to nothing. The closure of the route between Bamford and Hope hasn't even been mentioned on Facebook and while most who would be affected will know as they are local, we are still in the time of year where the will be some tourist visits to the area. The fact the Breezer didn't run the last fortnight as the bus was broken also didn't merit a mention. I'm also slightly concerned that no registration has appeared for the 80 yet, although they do seem to do short notice for most changes so maybe not too out of character.

Were you not able to change your plans to use the 257? It's hourly and you could have avoided the detour to Eyam by getting the PS at Calver.

ALEMASTER

Yes, the Breezer was a commercial venture and it partially replaced the Hope Valley Explorer bus Stagecoach ran previous years under contract to the Park Park Authority (that bus did Castleton-Bamford-Fairholmes).

The Breezer route I thought was a good one - in terms of an open top service it had for example the spectacular view offered over the valley from Surprise corner above Hathersage and in terms of a bus in general is genuinely provided useful links that supplemented what the 257 and 173 does which locals would have used, it also connects nicely with Sheffield and Chesterfield buses in Baslow, Sheffield buses in the Hope Valley and Sheffield-Manchester trains in the Hope Valley.

It was of course considered a complete joke operation locally as it was so unreliable. Hulleys simply didn't have the resource available to make it work operationally.

I did manage to get a ride on the Breezer once from Hope to Hathersage, second attempt it left Baslow empty without waiting for the connecting 218 to arrive from Sheffield via Totley (it literally pulled out as the 218 pulled in behind it) and all attempts since it didn't turn up.

Done a few trips on the Stagecoach Peak Sightseer, well run operation with semi-dedicated drivers and always with a spare bus and driver on standby. It has also been well publicised and seems to be generally a success.

Anyway, most disappointing the Hulleys Breezer didn't work out, perhaps next summer they will look at other ways to supplement their Peak District network for the benefit of both visitors and locals in a more profitable and reliable way!

Incidentally, talking of BSIP, any reports on how the evening journeys introduced on the 257 are doing?

Goldfish62

Established Member
It appears that BSIP money can be used to support existing services, although this was only clarified earlier this year so likely too late to make a difference here.
Well yes and no. Typically of the DfT they make such a statement then don't clarify it. It's certainly not blanket permission to support existing services.

After we guessed that the Breezer wasn't going to turn up (can only guess in the absence of social media advice and live tracking). We just missed a PS at Calver and the 257 was heavily delayed by having to do the right turn at the awful 5-way temporary lights at the main junction. Pub stop at Baslow, then the Peak Sightseer to Bakewell. Because by then our schedule was out of the window so after a pub break we ended up catching the last 257 back from Bakewell direct to Hathersage.

I can heartily recommend the food in the Blue John Hotel at Hathersage.

Teapot42

Yes, the Breezer was a commercial venture and it partially replaced the Hope Valley Explorer bus Stagecoach ran previous years under contract to the Park Park Authority (that bus did Castleton-Bamford-Fairholmes).
I've not heard that, but I did hear (complaints) that the revised Sunday 257 was the reason the Hope Valley Explorer wasn't renewed for this year. Personally I suspect it was more down to the fact the Peak Park authority had no money - until someone stepped in to help they were going to close all their visitor centres, so funding a bus was pretty much out of the question.

Anyway, most disappointing the Hulleys Breezer didn't work out, perhaps next summer they will look at other ways to supplement their Peak District network for the benefit of both visitors and locals in a more profitable and reliable way!
I'd like to hope so as well, but unless circumstances do change and extra capacity created I can't see how they can. They've taken on so much service work they simply don't have the spare discs, other than on a Sunday. Maybe if they can stabilise the driver situation they might run a few more Sunday routes - anything linking Chesterfield to the Peak District would be nice!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I've not heard that, but I did hear (complaints) that the revised Sunday 257 was the reason the Hope Valley Explorer wasn't renewed for this year. Personally I suspect it was more down to the fact the Peak Park authority had no money - until someone stepped in to help they were going to close all their visitor centres, so funding a bus was pretty much out of the question.
I think the latter reason, helped by the argument that the 257 would cover some of the route.

Unfortunate the Sunday 257 has suffered from a complete lack of marketing and the absence of a map makes the Sunday timetable almost impossible to decipher.

Teapot42

I think the latter reason, helped by the argument that the 257 would cover some of the route.

Unfortunate the Sunday 257 has suffered from a complete lack of marketing and the absence of a map makes the Sunday timetable almost impossible to decipher.
Yes, which is a shame as the route will be pretty scenic. The merging of the 257 and 61 caught me out as I was intending to do it for the run down from Hayfield to Chapel, but I gather it now misses that bit to serve other places along the way. The bigger problem is the lack of connectivity from Chesterfield - do I go for X17 to Sheffield meaning I have to get down in to town first, or do I just drive to somewhere near Ladybower and pick it up from there? Even doing the latter there isn't anything back from Castleton that I could use to get back to the car. I did have a play with times and reckoned they could have extended the runs on the 170 that laid over at Holymoorside for an hour, but now that's all changing again who knows.

It's not even 100% clear that the 257 will continue over Snake during the winter, as it was originally BST only.

The bigger picture needs looking at really - tourist service Sunday only but nothing to link with it, demand on Saturdays and all week during the school holidays, but no spare buses to take advantage of it.

Russel

Established Member
It is a shame that the breezer failed, but no matter how much hard work was put in to the marketing and behind the scenes it would never work with that timetable - alot of resources must have been wasted. Simple as that.

How much work was actually put into it, given given how much of a disaster it was right from the start?

I'm starting to think that Hulleys would have been better off not bothering with it at all, given what it's done to their reputation.