• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

chessie

The Ingoldmells service was surprisingly well used and as quick as the train from Chesterfield.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainman40083

Let us have a picture of a Hulleys bus. No 19 on route 55 in Alfreton

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_142708053_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240302_142708053_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 88

Mugby

Established Member
Many thanks to all for the interesting and informative replies.

cnjb8

Established Member
Surprisingly unmentioned here is another ‘innovative’ new route from Hulleys this year. Route X10 will run on weekends from Saturday 30th March between Sheffield and Alton Towers via Chesterfield, Matlock and Ashbourne. The one return journey gives 6h30 at Alton Towers, timetable can be viewed via https://bustimes.org/services/x10-sheffield-alton-towers
Belive they operated a Sheffied-Alton Towers route before (X71 I think)

py_megapixel

Established Member
I wonder if they might have some success if they relaunched the X57 now. With the £2 fare, the frequent closures of the Hope Valley line and the enormous decline in reliability of the rail service (particularly when TPE is involved), a Manchester-Sheffield bus seems like it could now be quite an attractive proposition for passengers who would more ordinarily take the train.

In fact for a lot of University of Sheffield students, who live in the Crookes/Broomhill areas or at the Endcliffe student village, £2 for a direct 90 min bus from close to where they live is surely a far more attractive proposition than the trek across the city centre to the station and then paying much more to go by train, taking almost as long in total. No idea if there's much of a student market between Sheffield and Manchester though.

You can currently travel from Manchester to Sheffield on National Express, but only to the interchange in Sheffield and only by going via Leeds, which is a bit out of the way. It does seem like a good candidate for a direct route. But then I suppose you could argue it's already been tried and didn't work!

Last edited:

syjunkie

I wonder if they might have some success if they relaunched the X57 now. With the £2 fare, the frequent closures of the Hope Valley line and the enormous decline in reliability of the rail service (particularly when TPE is involved), a Manchester-Sheffield bus seems like it could now be quite an attractive proposition for passengers who would more ordinarily take the train.

In fact for a lot of University of Sheffield students, who live in the Crookes/Broomhill areas or at the Endcliffe student village, £2 for a direct 90 min bus from close to where they live is surely a far more attractive proposition than the trek across the city centre to the station and then paying much more to go by train, taking almost as long in total. No idea if there's much of a student market between Sheffield and Manchester though.

You can currently travel from Manchester to Sheffield on National Express, but only to the interchange in Sheffield and only by going via Leeds, which is a bit out of the way. It does seem like a good candidate for a direct route. But then I suppose you could argue it's already been tried and didn't work!
Whilst I agree about it being tried and that it didn't work, one factor to take into account was that the X57 was operating around covid and towards the end of lockdown, but now again I agree it could work if it was reintroduced.

Last edited by a moderator:

MotCO

Established Member

Does the £2 fare apply to new routes?

richardderby

Whilst I agree about it being tried and that it didn't work, one factor to take into account was that the X57 was operating around covid and towards the end of lockdown, but now again I agree it could work if it was reintroduced.
on Sundays at least there is the Hulleys 257 over to Glossop from Sheffield with onwards cheap regular trains from there to Manchester..

ALEMASTER

I'm not sure it would. The problem it faced once demand started to increase post covid was regular and unpredictable closures of the snake pass, according to Hulleys when they announced the withdrawal.

The full route from Sheffield to Manchester was long and poorly used but it did see lots of shorter flows linked up such as Sheffield to Yorkshire Bridge for students and hikers, Sheffield to Glossop and Glossop to Manchester.

What was regularly happening was buses were running from Sheffield to Yorkshire Bridge then finding the snake pass unexpectedly closed and having to terminate there with the bus going the other way diverted non stop Glossop to Sheffield via the Woodhead pass missing out the busiest part of the route.

py_megapixel

Established Member
on Sundays at least there is the Hulleys 257 over to Glossop from Sheffield with onwards cheap regular trains from there to Manchester..
They really ought to come up with some different numbers for what is currently all called the 257. The Mon-Sat route has quite a few variations and it's also vastly different to the Sunday one.

Djb1

I sit corrected! I assumed with all the lockdowns and things that it didn't. Did it ever run to Hanley with the Sunday version of the timetable? That was the bit I would have been interested in.
I could be wrong but I don’t think it ever ran to hanley. I think it re-emerged after lockdown as a one bus return trip both Saturday and Sunday.

traction22

Sorry for the very late reply.

There was a Skegness and a Scarborough service. I was first passenger on the Saturday and the only passenger on the Sunday. It did start to pick up decent loads, but was cancelled before the end of the summer season.

Smethwickian

Surprisingly unmentioned here is another ‘innovative’ new route from Hulleys this year. Route X10 will run on weekends from Saturday 30th March between Sheffield and Alton Towers via Chesterfield, Matlock and Ashbourne. The one return journey gives 6h30 at Alton Towers, timetable can be viewed via https://bustimes.org/services/x10-sheffield-alton-towers
According to South Yorkshire PTE's bus service updates page at https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/en-gb/newsupdates/service-changes#bus the X10 will not now be introduced. Changes previously planned to services 271 and 272 from 31 March are also postponed.

Sheffield
Bus ServiceRoute SummaryChange Description
X10
Hulleys of BaslowSheffield - Chesterfield - Matlock - Alton Towers
This service will no longer be introduced.

Hulleys of BaslowSheffield - Ecclesall - Hathersage - Bradwell - Hope - Castleton
Planned changes to this service from 31 March will no longer be taking place. The current timetable will remain in operation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Llandudno

Established Member
Pleased to see that the X10 has been shelved (for now?) Hulley’s can’t resource their current timetables (vehicles or drivers) so shouldn’t be taking on additional services.

JD2168

There is a report in today’s Sheffield Star that mentions from April the 80 will be withdrawn between Crystal Peaks & Chesterfield Hospital partially blaming roadworks particularly in the Eckington area.

Trainman40083

There is a report in today’s Sheffield Star that mentions from April the 80 will be withdrawn between Crystal Peaks & Chesterfield Hospital partially blaming roadworks particularly in the Eckington area.
Has been on Hulleys Facebook page.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
A post on the Friends of the PSV Circle Facebook group appears to show Enviro 200 MK63 XAU in a new Hulley’s livery based on the Go Coach colours. The bus is wearing all over yellow but with Hulley’s dark blue skirt rather than Go Coach purple, and blue stripe above the windows. Presumably this will help the seemingly regular vehicle movements blend in more. There also appears to be a new style logo, which one commenter points out bears a very striking resemblance to the former Television South West logo.

Pictured at Go-Coach Swanley is Hulleys of Baslow’s new and revised livery.

This change was made to try and standardise the livery of the fleet as a whole.

It also features a new logo, points to who ever can find out where it came from originally

MotCO

Established Member
A post on the Friends of the PSV Circle Facebook group appears to show Enviro 200 MK63 XAU in a new Hulley’s livery based on the Go Coach colours. The bus is wearing all over yellow but with Hulley’s dark blue skirt rather than Go Coach purple, and blue stripe above the windows. Presumably this will help the seemingly regular vehicle movements blend in more. There also appears to be a new style logo, which one commenter points out bears a very striking resemblance to the former Television South West logo.

The skirt of the Optare Versa behind the Hulley's E200 seems to be in the same blue rather than purple. Are Go-Coach changing their livery as well to a common livery?