• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I Hate Pork Pies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I note that the very early thread posting made reference to food snacks sold in public houses. Perhaps it is my age that tells against me, but when I was at university in Manchester in the early 1960s, pickled hard boiled eggs that came in a large glass jar and displayed for all to see were very big selling items. I always had two at a time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jetlagged

I note that the very early thread posting made reference to food snacks sold in public houses. Perhaps it is my age that tells against me, but when I was at university in Manchester in the early 1960s, pickled hard boiled eggs that came in a large glass jar and displayed for all to see were very big selling items. I always had two at a time.

Oh no! One at a time in a bag of Smiths crisps when they still had salt in a little blue bag inside.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You can still get those. My Dad likes them as he is on a low salt diet (so he can just bin the salt packet).

I always bought those and binned the salt - never bought Golden Wonder crisps as they never offered that option. I even managed to persuade my mother, when I was about seven, to ditch Anchor butter and buy Dutch Wheelbarrow unsalted butter, the only such then generally available in the U.K. It became a bit of a family joke - no wonder I was (and am) a Remainer.:lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I always bought those and binned the salt - never bought Golden Wonder crisps as they never offered that option. I even managed to persuade my mother, when I was about seven, to ditch Anchor butter and buy Dutch Wheelbarrow unsalted butter, the only such then generally available in the U.K. It became a bit of a family joke - no wonder I was (and am) a Remainer.:lol:

Ah, I loved the ones with the little packet of salt ! Do they still do them ?

meridian2

I remember chip shops selling pickled eggs in a large sweet jar. The contents never appeared to diminish between childhood and adult years, and I came to regard them in the same way as charity donation boxes in the same establishments, a variety of permanent decoration.

A good pork pie is a thing of beauty but they give me heartburn in my dotage. Quality counts, and is uncommon, most are blob of salted meat in a sea of jelly with a dense crust, which is inversely proportional to the correct contents. Most scotch eggs are the same, a tiny egg bouncing round in an undercooked ball of doughy crumbs. Any of them were impossible delicacies in the pubs of my youth, whose food supply went little further than a bag of salted peanuts sold from a card dispenser that slowly revealed a topless woman. Asking for a bag of crisps was likely to receive a swift, "what d'you think we are, a b***** restaurant?!" Happy days.

meridian2

Might be a case of where something is only sold in certain parts of the country. Galaxy chocolate bars aren't sold anywhere around where I live but are sold elsewhere in the country
Scotland is the Valhalla of extinct chocolate bars. Anything from Rum n'Raisin to Mintolas can be had north of the border. Not sure what the EU will make of their sugar levels in the event of devolution - classified toxic probably.

najaB

Veteran Member
Might be a case of where something is only sold in certain parts of the country. Galaxy chocolate bars aren't sold anywhere around where I live but are sold elsewhere in the country
Possibly. They're on Tesco's website if you really want to get them. :)

Jetlagged

Scotland is the Valhalla of extinct chocolate bars. Anything from Rum n'Raisin to Mintolas can be had north of the border. Not sure what the EU will make of their sugar levels in the event of devolution - classified toxic probably.

That's as maybe, but what have they done with Cremola Foam crystals? We should be told.

Jetlagged

Meanwhile, back in the pub, anyone else remember the guy in a white coat that would go around the pubs with a wicker basket full of little trays of cockles and winkles? Maybe it was a southern thing.

meridian2

Meanwhile, back in the pub, anyone else remember the guy in a white coat that would go around the pubs with a wicker basket full of little trays of cockles and winkles? Maybe it was a southern thing.
No, the Midlands and North had them too. And Sally's Army selling WarCry.

Strat-tastic

Established Member

I can still remember his battle cry:

Cockles, mussels, prawns, whelks, ROSES! (With a distinct pause then flourish on 'roses') :D

(Birmingham, BTW)

furnessvale

Established Member

Not only a southern thing.

"Kershaws Super Cockle" emblazoned on his back! A free packet of whatever for the landlord for letting him wander around selling!

Status
Not open for further replies.