• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I was given a "last warning" for using a perfectly valid travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

I've started commuting between Birmingham and Coventry. The travelcard is nNetwork pre 09:30 for concessionary pass holders for zone 1 to 5.

When I bought this travelcard, it came in a nNetwork blue with a bit of orange at the bottom stock. I used it on the buses and trains without any problems.

However, it ran out so I got it renewed at the ticket office but the man couldn't find it on the system because he doesn't know how to. So, I went to another rail station and the woman at there said my ticket was in fact issued on wrong stock, it should've been with a yellow at the bottom instead of orange.

Ever since I used this yellow stock I had a lot of problems with using it due to bus drivers and train inspectors doubting its validity when using it before 9:30 in the morning. Most of times I've let off.

The worst one was few days ago when the inspector who thought mine was invalid because she'd never seen it before and was going to take my details for a possible prosecution until I told her I had to get off the train now, so I was given a "last warning" and I shouldn't use it any more.

There's more than 15 days left on this ticket, what I can do about it? I can't really afford to do the usual "pay now then dispute with the prosecution later" I've been reading about on this section lately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Can you confirm which stock it has been issued on please?

EMBED_337651_0300000B_small.gif
EMBED_337651_03000001_small.gif

Either way, I can't see why they'd be invalid as long as you present the Centro issued concessionary pass with it.

(Images sourced from TSO / ATOC.)

Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
Am I understanding this correctly - you are getting hassled for using a ticket before 0930 when the ticket is ONLY valid for use before 0930 ???

Crossover

Established Member
Am I understanding this correctly - you are getting hassled for using a ticket before 0930 when the ticket is ONLY valid for use before 0930 ???

The OP states he is using a pre 09:30 ticket - and these do indeed exist

I've started commuting between Birmingham and Coventry. The travelcard is nNetwork pre 09:30 for concessionary pass holders for zone 1 to 5.

sheff1

Established Member
Indeed. Which is why I asked.

Even with the large number of varying issues raised in this section I do not recall someone being hassled for using a 'peak time only' ticket in the 'peak' before.

This is the travelcard I use in addition with concessionary pass:
http://tickets.networkwestmidlands....icketID=14&TicketOptionID=68297&resultsPage=0

Indeed. Which is why I asked.

Even with the large number of varying issues raised in this section I do not recall someone being hassled for using a 'peak time only' ticket in the 'peak' before.

Even if it's off peak, I have concessionary pass to cover that. They have no excuse hassling me even if they never seen that pass before.

sheff1

Established Member
Thanks. That is I what I thought you held. The mind boggles that you are being hassled when using it.

As to what you should do, I will leave it to more knowledgeable members of the forum to advise.

Can you confirm which stock it has been issued on please?

EMBED_337651_0300000B_small.gif
EMBED_337651_03000001_small.gif

Either way, I can't see why they'd be invalid as long as you present the Centro issued concessionary pass with it.

I was issued at the bottom one at first and top one for second time. And I always present Centro issued concesionary pass with it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As you get free travel after 0930, and that's all you need to pay for, it's the pre-0930 stock you should be issued with.

I think someone does need their 'details' taken and being reported - and it aint you!

(and I'll pre-empt anyone saying "but why complain? he was let off" by saying we'll have to agree to disagree!)

34D

Established Member
I was issued at the bottom one at first and top one for second time. And I always present Centro issued concesionary pass with it.

I wonder whether staff are focusing on your ENCTS pass rather than the ticket?

Looking at that yellow-edged stock, it says "valid on" whereas the yellow edged says "valid until" - so does that imply the yellow one is for day tickets only, and all seasons should be on orange-edged?

dvboy

Established Member
What buses and trains are you using when you have problems? This sounds daft because these tickets are pretty common with ENTCS holders that work, I'm wondering if it might be lack of training with specific operators.

I wonder whether staff are focusing on your ENCTS pass rather than the ticket?

Looking at that yellow-edged stock, it says "valid on" whereas the yellow edged says "valid until" - so does that imply the yellow one is for day tickets only, and all seasons should be on orange-edged?
Mine says valid until, I haven't noticed that until you pointed them out.
What buses and trains are you using when you have problems? This sounds daft because these tickets are pretty common with ENTCS holders that work, I'm wondering if it might be lack of training with specific operators.
I use National Express and they're ones who cause most of problems with my pass. Other bus operators are fine except Diamond. I have less problem with trains but that's probably because there's less inspection but when it does occur, it's 50% chance that my ticket gets a pass, otherwise I get hassled. In fact, today I was refused entry into bus simply because the driver said "That pass isn't valid before 9:30" despite me telling him to check the yellow ticket which he simply replied saying that's for trains only.

I did get hassled by an inspector on London Midland today as well.

I've complained this problem to NX few days ago and I'm waiting for a reply from them. I'll be also writing a strongly worded email to London Midland soon.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So a driver said that a pass that clearly says on the front "Only before 09:30" is not valid before 09:30? Riiiight...

dvboy

Established Member
Mine says valid until, I haven't noticed that until you pointed them out.

I use National Express and they're ones who cause most of problems with my pass. Other bus operators are fine except Diamond. I have less problem with trains but that's probably because there's less inspection but when it does occur, it's 50% chance that my ticket gets a pass, otherwise I get hassled. In fact, today I was refused entry into bus simply because the driver said "That pass isn't valid before 9:30" despite me telling him to check the yellow ticket which he simply replied saying that's for trains only.

I did get hassled by an inspector on London Midland today as well.

I've complained this problem to NX few days ago and I'm waiting for a reply from them. I'll be also writing a strongly worded email to London Midland soon.

That surprises me with NX and London Midland (Diamond it wouldn't, I've seen them refuse PlusBus).

Clearly they are looking at the ENTCS first and not noticing the pass but does your ticket with the yellow panel have the words nNetwork or nTrain at the top?

If you have twitter I would recommend pestering @nxwestmidlands and @londonmidland every time it happens, with the details of the service you were on, and cc @networkwm into the tweets as it's their product.

NX might direct you to a form but each time I've used it to complain to them about something I've got an email back assuring me that management will identify and speak to drivers (my problem was early departures). LM's twitter team are better at feeding stuff back directly without the longwinded seperate correspondance process.

Last edited:

That surprises me with NX and London Midland (Diamond it wouldn't, I've seen them refuse PlusBus).

Clearly they are looking at the ENTCS first and not noticing the pass but does your ticket with the yellow panel have the words nNetwork or nTrain at the top?

If you have twitter I would recommend pestering @nxwestmidlands and @londonmidland every time it happens, with the details of the service you were on, and cc @networkwm into the tweets as it's their product.

NX might direct you to a form but each time I've used it to complain to them about something I've got an email back assuring me that management will identify and speak to drivers (my problem was early departures). LM's twitter team are better at feeding stuff back directly without the longwinded seperate correspondance process.

nNetwork.

I don't use Twitter, and I would use it but I have already sent an email to LM and NX. Both haven't replied yet so far.

Tibbs

nNetwork.

I don't use Twitter, and I would use it but I have already sent an email to LM and NX. Both haven't replied yet so far.

It's worth registering on twitter just to be able to have these conversations with the TOCs out in a place where they can't put you in a drawer and ignore you.

As with complaining in a shop, ALWAYS do it in public, where other customers can see you. Don't allow yourself to be shunted off into a corner where you can be hidden. Versus big companies you have very little power, being visible is one of the best ways to get your issue prompt attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.