• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas/Predictions for 185s if Nothern Hub goes ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Door position doesn't depend on carriage length. The 185s and 323s have the same door positions as the 150s but have 23m carriages.
I know it doesn't. I was saying that it was an additional advantage of the 150s over other Sprinter classes for commuter runs.

On the basis that many Pacers already run in multiple at peak times I was envisaging 2x150s replacing 2x142s from your previous post.
Yep that'd be right: 150s replacing 142s and 153s on a unit for unit basis.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
The problem with Northern's stock is that there isn't really suitable stock for a longer distance service with numerous stops en route

I guarantee that you'll never find enthusiasts all agreeing about the suitability of one class on some of the routes which Northern run (where there are some longer distance passengers mixed with frequent stops at other stations etc).

Frequent stops, to me, suggests something with doors like a 150/170, but long distance routes suggest something with doors like a 156/158.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I guarantee that you'll never find enthusiasts all agreeing about the suitability of one class on some of the routes which Northern run (where there are some longer distance passengers mixed with frequent stops at other stations etc).

Frequent stops, to me, suggests something with doors like a 150/170, but long distance routes suggest something with doors like a 156/158.

I think how many people board and alight at intermediate stations is an important point to consider.

A train with narrow doors stopping at Manchester Piccadilly platform 13 isn't ideal for either a service that's arrived from Liverpool without doing any intermediate calls, or one that's done all stops.

The addition of internal doors to a 170 style layout would probably mean less complaints about them on long distance services.

If you look at the Penistone line, ideally you want stock that people would be happy to do Huddersfield-Sheffield on and at the same time be suitable for a frequent stop service. That makes the 150s most suitable for the line, ideally refitted with 2+2 seating but then that's going to be the case with a lot of Northern lines and probably there won't be enough to go around so 172s fitted with 2+2 seating would seem to make a good replacement for Pacers.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Ok lots of suggestions flying around, lets narrow this down.

We are looking for:
1. A 100mph line preferably, these are quite heavy for the track on a 50-75mph route and lose the speed advantage.
2. Hilly preferably, these have a lot of power and their currently running with only two of three engines in use most of the time (Due to lower RA or less power needed).
2. Medium passenger loadings, we have three carriages to fill or running in 6 car formation.
4. Long distance between stops, these have intercity door spacings rather than suburban door spacings.
5. Somewhere they could be used in significant numbers, theres 51 trainsets spreading them around too much would lead to microfleet issues.

Eagle

Established Member
Ok lots of suggestions flying around, lets narrow this down.

We are looking for:
1. A 100mph line preferably, these are quite heavy for the track on a 50-75mph route and lose the speed advantage.
2. Hilly preferably, these have a lot of power and their currently running with only two of three engines in use most of the time (Due to lower RA or less power needed).
2. Medium passenger loadings, we have three carriages to fill or running in 6 car formation.
4. Long distance between stops, these have intercity door spacings rather than suburban door spacings.
5. Somewhere they could be used in significant numbers, theres 51 trainsets spreading them around too much would lead to microfleet issues.

XC's ex-Citylink routes seem to fit all that (especially Cardiff to Nottingham).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

They have commuter door spacings (1/3 and 2/3) with very large standing areas around the doors. Though admittedly the carriage layout is inter-city (lots of bays of seats around tables).

Wath Yard

If you think 185s have an acceptable InterCity internal layout and level of comfort then you have been brainwashed by the privatised railway's lowering of standards and expectations. Inter regional (Regional Railways Express in old money) yes, Intercity - certainly not.

WestCoast

Established Member
If you think 185s have an acceptable InterCity internal layout and level of comfort then you have been brainwashed by the privatised railway's lowering of standards and expectations. Inter regional (Regional Railways Express in old money) yes, Intercity - certainly not.

I agree fully, they are ideal for Transpennine or ex-Central Trains Citylink routes because they are "InterRegional" in nature, but they most certainly are not InterCity rolling stock.

I'd call 180s worthy of "InterCity status", but not 185s.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I meant inter-city as in lots of bays of four seats around a table :roll:

Obviously with the door layout and the hardness of the seats they're not inter-city (as WestCoast says 180s are more like what I'd expect from an inter-city DMU).

Status
Not open for further replies.