• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas/suggestions & other speculation for Okehampton / Exmouth lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglymonkey

There is plenty of evidence that the viaduct is a major obstacle to reopening Bere Alston-Okehampton (e.g. https://www.okehampton-today.co.uk/news/meldon-viaduct-may-scupper-mainline-plans-424938 ). The solution is simple, but expensive: replace the viaduct. As mentioned above it was considered unfit for trains over 30 years ago, so it's hardly conjecture to say so.
I think they even took one viaduct out of use, even in the 1960's ( when it was still a through route) as it was so weak and only used single line working the other one ( I want to say South, the original one - but I may be wrong) from then until closure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alf

On Moderation
There is plenty of evidence that the viaduct is a major obstacle to reopening Bere Alston-Okehampton (e.g. https://www.okehampton-today.co.uk/news/meldon-viaduct-may-scupper-mainline-plans-424938 ). The solution is simple, but expensive: replace the viaduct. As mentioned above it was considered unfit for trains over 30 years ago, so it's hardly conjecture to say so.

A report in a giveaway local newspaper is not “plenty of evidence” that the viaduct needs replacing.

Sir Peter Hendy mentioned in the article is a great friend of railways as well as top dog at Network Rail.
He should get a “can do” bridge engineer to spend a few days at Meldon with binoculars to work out what steels(or cast iron) needs replacing, if any.
If the viaduct really is the only serious obstacle to bringing back the L&SWR route to Plymouth it would be great news if the work required is not that enormous.

It would be an interesting field trip for civil engineering students at Exeter University, supervised by their professors, to come up with a scheme to bring the viaduct back to use economically.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If the viaduct really is the only serious obstacle to bringing back the L&SWR route to Plymouth it would be great news if the work required is not that enormous.

It isn’t the only serious obstacle. There’s plenty of others, not least that the proposal would be a comprehensive waste of taxpayers’ money.

And that report in the local paper was, obviously, reporting on various studies that have been done. Network Rail will no doubt have structural engineering reports - peer reviewed externally - that the viaduct must be replaced. Thinking otherwise is simply clutching at straws.

Peter Hendy is indeed a great friend of the railways. And he knows not to spend money on a project like this.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think the viaduct itself being in a different position would be much more difficult than realigning the off-viaduct track bed to meet it - realignment seems fairly straightforward but the gorge that the viaduct crosses quickly widens south of the viaduct and I think it may do so north of it too.

Either way: a new viaduct south of the current one would block what is by far the best view of it, whilst going north would make it more difficult to keep the existing walking access on to the old viaduct from Okehampton. Perhaps it would be easier to get the thing delisted - obviously that would be a shame, but the choice between the railway vs. memories of the railway is an obvious one to me.

A new viaduct North of the existing one would be the most sensible option. It could include pedestrian access alongside, while the current one could be retained asa scheduled monument.

DelW

Established Member
Sir Peter Hendy mentioned in the article is a great friend of railways as well as top dog at Network Rail.
He should get a “can do” bridge engineer to spend a few days at Meldon with binoculars to work out what steels(or cast iron) needs replacing, if any.
Unfortunately the viaduct isn't the only serious obstacle, the biggest one is the lack of a viable business case for rebuilding the line.
Yes, it would provide an alternative route for the few occasions when there are problems along the Dawlish seawall, but at a very large cost which could be more usefully spent elsewhere, or indeed not spent at all.

alf

On Moderation
Surely the fashionable solution is to leave the viaduct in situ and fill in the valley.
A very green solution.

A hydro electric dam with the railway atop. & not a great eyesore since the river runs in a steep walled private canyon with a huge section of Dartmoor as the catchment.

Irascible

Established Member
Would the council in Tavistock be very happy with their offices being demolished?
Surprisingly, yes - I can't remember where they said so, but they did. Dunno if they are expecting to pay for it though.

The line has to get *to* Tavistock first, if that goes at the rate Portishead is going the council buildings will have collapsed of old age before anyone needs them demolished...

I think they even took one viaduct out of use, even in the 1960's ( when it was still a through route) as it was so weak and only used single line working the other one ( I want to say South, the original one - but I may be wrong) from then until closure.

Headshunt was the one nearest the quarry I think? very vague memories of seeing something on the bridge as a youngster ( from some distance away ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.