• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas to replace the Newark Flat Crossing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
There's ample room for a flyover, Up over the river, over the ECML and back down the otherside..

snowball

Established Member
Thank you. Reopened at my request as Highways England is proposing to dual the A46 Newark bypass and conducted a consultation last year (now closed):

(If it shows "+ Public Consultation 2020" at the bottom, click on that and more details will appear.)

I always imagined that any rail flyover would run immediately alongside the SE side of the Nottingham-Lincoln line. There seemed to be just about enough space for both that and the dualling of the A46.

There are two options for dualling the road, shown in the two "maps" and in more detail in the two "drawings". Both include a grade-separated road junction towards the north end of the road that seems (from the "drawings") to use up all the space between the road and the Nottingham-Lincoln line, apparently meaning that any future rail flyover would need to be on the other side of the line.

According to the "environmental constraints map" there is a local wildlife site on that side of the line further south.

Presumably HE will have had to consult NR - I wonder what NR said?

I haven't read the "options summary report" yet.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Thank you. Reopened at my request as Highways England is proposing to dual the A46 Newark bypass and conducted a consultation last year (now closed):

(If it shows "+ Public Consultation 2020" at the bottom, click on that and more details will appear.)

I always imagined that any rail flyover would run immediately alongside the SE side of the Nottingham-Lincoln line. There seemed to be just about enough space for both that and the dualling of the A46.

There are two options for dualling the road, shown in the two "maps" and in more detail in the two "drawings". Both include a grade-separated road junction towards the north end of the road that seems (from the "drawings") to use up all the space between the road and the Nottingham-Lincoln line, apparently meaning that any future rail flyover would need to be on the other side of the line.

According to the "environmental constraints map" there is a local wildlife site on that side of the line further south.

Presumably HE will have had to consult NR - I wonder what NR said?

I haven't read the "options summary report" yet.

IIRC the flyover when originally studied was always proposed to be ‘north’ of the crossing.

FGWHST43009

I think Newark Flat crossing should be replaced with a flyover, there are no more excuses not to do it. We pioneered railway building, so surely we can bypass Newark Flat crossing by now? It could help achieve 140mph running on the ECML, which there is also no excuse for not doing.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I think Newark Flat crossing should be replaced with a flyover, there are no more excuses not to do it. We pioneered railway building, so surely we can bypass Newark Flat crossing by now? It could help achieve 140mph running on the ECML, which there is also no excuse for not doing.

You might want to read the rest of this thread.

Of course, it could be built. But for what purpose, what cost, and does the benefits it create offset that cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.