• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IEP postponed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
And are the 390s able to reach 140mph (theoretically) without tilting (should the route not be windy enough to need tilting trains)?

The way I understand it is that the 390s are currently software restricted to 125mph but were designed with a top speed of 140mph which they should be quite capable of reaching line speed permitting. If tilt was switched off, the 390s could still achieve 140mph but would have to slow down around corners where tilt would enable them to carry slightly more speed :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Tilting doesn't physically let the trains go faster as I understand it, rather, tilting is purely for passenger comfort.

Further, as far as I know, the trackwork on the WCML was designed during the upgrade for 140mph; like on the East Coast, the limiting factor is the signalling system.

MCR247

Established Member
It means they don't have to slow down for corners, making it faster ;)

TsLeng

Tilting doesn't physically let the trains go faster as I understand it, rather, tilting is purely for passenger comfort.

Further, as far as I know, the trackwork on the WCML was designed during the upgrade for 140mph; like on the East Coast, the limiting factor is the signalling system.

Tilting lets a train go faster (enhanced speed) around a curve at the same passenger comfort level of a normal train going around the same curve at normal speed. If that makes sense:D

They only go faster around curves with the effect of less deceleration before a curve and reaching line speed quicker coming out of the curve.

jon0844

Veteran Member
EC was moving a 180 around today at Bounds Green.. Wonder what they were doing, besides just checking it still worked!?

Geezertronic

Established Member
Tilting lets a train go faster (enhanced speed) around a curve at the same passenger comfort level of a normal train going around the same curve at normal speed. If that makes sense:D

They only go faster around curves with the effect of less deceleration before a curve and reaching line speed quicker coming out of the curve.

And a similar principle applies to Oval Racing - NASCAR as an example :D

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The passenger comfort factor of tilt is why the APT-S and APT-U powercars would not have tilted, and also why the 91s were never intended to tilt wheras the Mk4s could have been fitted. The main issue is that the loco or powercar only has the driver who would be seated, wheras the passenger coaches and DVT would have standing passengers and crew. Tests showed that the safe and comfortable levels of cant deficiency for people standing was quite a bit higher than those sitting. The two main benefits of not tilting the loco or powercar were not having to provide equipment to keep the pantograph level, and reduced track forces (tilt actually increases the force on the track).

Status
Not open for further replies.