• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you are driving slowly should you pull over to let other traffic pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Luxton

Established Member
Or slid partially across the crossing and was hit with a glancing blow by the train. Car driver has no excuse though; should have been going slow enough to stop at any obstruction...
Oh yes driver should have been driving for the conditions.

When I am on the road I think I really frustrate those behind me in the dark or dubious road conditions as I slow down.

Have had a few angry beebs when those behind overtake! But then when I set out on a journey I never travel "just in time" as so many seem to do these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
When I am on the road I think I really frustrate those behind me in the dark or dubious road conditions as I slow down.

Have had a few angry beebs when those behind overtake! But then when I set out on a journey I never travel "just in time" as so many seem to do these days.

You could just pull over briefly when there are opportunities to do so and allow other traffic to pass, rather than knowingly impeding the progress of other road users. It'll be quite hard for everyone else to plan for the pace of driving you may wish to dictate.

John Luxton

Established Member
You could just pull over briefly when there are opportunities to do so and allow other traffic to pass, rather than knowingly impeding the progress of other road users. It'll be quite hard for everyone else to plan for the pace of driving you may wish to dictate.
Sometimes I do pull over. But I would consider 30 to 40 on a single carriageway country road at night in heavy rain to be reasonable.

the sniper

Established Member
Sometimes I do pull over. But I would consider 30 to 40 on a single carriageway country road at night in heavy rain to be reasonable.

There are many places where I would not consider that reasonable, though in truly heavy rain, there are many places where I would, depending on the road. I would not consider night time to be a major factor on most roads though, personally, particularly when there's nothing coming the other way. The problem is it comes down to personal interpretation. If you've got a queue of a dozen cars behind you, your interpretation might not be the one that everyone should be compelled to follow. Though I'm someone who will try to facilitate letting someone by if I'm just not going 60mph, as I'm not so bold as to think that everyone should be regulated by how I wish to proceed.

philthetube

Established Member
doesn't matter what you consider reasonable, what matters is that you get rid of the idiots behind who may make a stupid overtaking move and involve you in an accident.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For gods sake just pull over.

You might not be in a hurry, but there’s probably people behind you that are self employed, are on their way to the next job, and don’t have all the time in the world to dawdle along watching the scenery and marvelling at the variety of different vehicles that they can see in the rear view mirror…

Vans are far more planted on the road in wet weather than lightweight cars, plus they’re able to see the road ahead over the rooflines of other vehicles and the drivers probably spend more time on the road than the average car owner does.

Please for the love of god pull over and let the traffic pass if you can see a tailback behind you, assuming that you even look in your mirrors (not aimed at you @John Luxton)

Otherwise you’ll end up with angry people taking risks trying to overtake everyone which ends up putting all of us in danger!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That’s reasonable if the conditions dictate. Especially if you don’t know the road. It’s sensible not to allow yourself to be pressured to drive faster than you feel comfortable.

doesn't matter what you consider reasonable, what matters is that you get rid of the idiots behind who may make a stupid overtaking move and involve you in an accident.
Also wise. I prefer to allow people to overtake, because once they’re far ahead of me they no longer pose a risk to me, and it’ll be someone else at risk instead. I dislike overtaking in principle. It is an inherently dangerous manoeuvre and must only be done when there is a compelling reason, in my opinion. Wanting to go 5mph faster “I am in a hurry” wouldn’t be one for me.

Lloyds siding

Rule 169 of the Highway Code
"Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass."

However, like the OP I drive for the conditions prevailing.
I find myself annoying Liverpool drivers by
a) driving no faster than the speed limit
b) not entering a box junction when my exit isn't clear
c) keeping a good distance between me and the vehicle in front when the road is slippery or likely to be

I should point out that I'm not slow...I have been criticised by the British Touring Car champion for braking too late (this was on a track) and I don't panic if my wheels are sliding...

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Oh yes driver should have been driving for the conditions.

Yes definitely pull over if driving excessively slowly for no reason. Less important if going slow for a good reason like adapting to conditions, but still not great to be holding others up as it will simply lead to risky overtakes.

On the railway there is generally an expectation that trains will be driven as close to the speed limit as possible except where there’s a specific reason not to, it would make life a damn sight less stressful if the same was applied to road vehicles.

If you’re constantly attracting queues behind, you are also negatively impacting your own safety as if you need to brake hard for any reason, for example if a deer appears in front of you, you are highly likely to be rear ended. Causing traffic to bunch also makes it harder for those behind to avoid obstructions in the road.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I prefer to allow people to overtake, because once they’re far ahead of me they no longer pose a risk to me, and it’ll be someone else at risk instead. I dislike overtaking in principle. It is an inherently dangerous manoeuvre and must only be done when there is a compelling reason, in my opinion. Wanting to go 5mph faster “I am in a hurry” wouldn’t be one for me.

I agree with a lot of this and despite my slightly ranty post just now there are times when if I’m not in a hurry I will pull over and let others pass if it’s safe to do so. I really don’t like having people right up my chuff when I’m driving normally.

Re the bit I’ve bolded - I live in a fairly rural part of the world and there’s nothing wrong with overtaking on a quiet A road if you can see what’s ahead, know the road well and are able to reasonably evaluate whether it’s safe or not to do so (obviously nothing is ever 100% safe in reality though).

I won’t tailgate people even if they are driving slowly because at the end of the day you don’t really know what anyone is going to do and being right up close behind someone creates needless stress for everyone.

There comes a point though where you have to consider overtaking, because you could be stuck behind a cyclist doing 20mph, a tractor doing 32mph, or someone doing 37mph in a hatchback with a straw hat and a box of tissues on the back parcel shelf who drives at that exact speed whether they’re driving along a wide open national speed limit road or through a village with a 30mph limit…

Ken H

On Moderation
There is also whether you know the road. I know the main roads round here - I have been driving them since 1979.
So i can drive them faster than a visitor., and mostly at 60.
Last night I was in a queue behind someone doing 40 all the way. They passed quite a few places they could pull in and let others pass.

As @Lloyds siding says, there is rule 169 in the highway code. If in doubt, use it.

Neptune

Established Member
Driving over cautiously can be just as bad as driving too fast.

I’m a confident driver and I always give myself plenty of time wherever I go. Do I do it to p*** people off and laugh at the queue in my rear view mirror? No, I do it because there seem to be too many over cautious drivers about who happily dawdle around because they have all day to do what they want and seem to always end up stuck behind them.

To the poster who dislikes overtaking and believes it is dangerous. Do you not consider being stuck behind someone refusing to go near the speed limit on a clear open road with clear long views ahead as a reason to overtake? Are you happy to sit behind said person for dozens of miles even if it means you will now be late for wherever you are going despite there being ample opportunities to safely overtake? If so then perhaps you need to watch the driving instructor ‘Ashley Neal’ on YouTube. He will show you how to overtake safely in his videos. Even after over 30 accident free years of driving I’m happy to watch his videos and learn how to be even safer on the road.

Driving slowly doesn’t necessarily mean driving safely. You drive to the conditions and make sure you don’t affect any other drivers progress on the road. Better to drive defensively and anticipate issues than look no further than the end of your bonnet and occasionally have a chuckle at the queue in your rear view mirror.

It’s called sharing the road but too many people want to own it.

Last edited:

SeanG

Established Member
In my experience of this - when I've been 'out for a drive' often on a country/moorland road it is common that I catch people up, and then I just sit a reasonable distance behind them, without pressurising them, and overtaking where appropriate. Some drivers do safely pull over which is appreciated.

However, some drivers stop suddenly / pull over at a dangerous place which pressures the faster driver into making an overtake which is not suitable (ie blind crest/corner). If the faster driver does not overtake then there is a stalemate of nobody moving. I find that this is just as dangerous as a reckless overtake.

jp4712

As my avatar implies, I own and drive vintage buses. My double decker will do 36 mph at most, and in practice it's kinder to the old girl to potter along at 32-33 mph. Therefore I know that I'm a massive hindrance to other road users, so I pull over frequently, especially on roads with limited overtaking opportunities. 99 times out of 100 this is appreciated and often drivers give me a thumbs up as they pass, you just get the very odd one (strangely, always a BMW) who gives me a V-sign for daring to be out on the road!

The only thing that irritates me as a driver of a relatively slow vehicle is the driver who overtakes me and then immediately turns left down a side road, often making me brake (BMW); or as I'm slowing down to stop at traffic lights, cuts into my lane in front of me so I have 20 feet less space to stop than I thought I had (BMW 3-series).

It should be a matter of give-and-take on both sides. I certainly know that I'm driving a vehicle from another age that's not built for today's improved performance. But next time you see a classic bus (or lorry) on the road, please could you be a little patient with us?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
To the poster who dislikes overtaking and believes it is dangerous. Do you not consider being stuck behind someone refusing to go near the speed limit on a clear open road with clear long views ahead as a reason to overtake? Are you happy to sit behind said person for dozens of miles even if it means you will now be late for wherever you are going despite there being ample opportunities to safely overtake? If so then perhaps you need to watch the driving instructor ‘Ashley Neal’ on YouTube.
I'm familiar with him, I watch him too! As he says, he doesn't often overtake - and uses the Safe/Legal/Worth It formula, and quite right too.

The definition of "safe" is relative. Driving is not an activity which has a just culture, and if overtaking were possible in fields like aviation or railways it would be a very rare manoeuvre indeed. I'll use my judgement as to whether I overtake - of course, I overtake cyclists (safely), and very slow moving vehicles where it's justifiable, but to be honest if I can do 60 on a road I know well and someone is doing 55, I'll just sit there.

Once you move onto the other side of the road your personal risk and the risk to the person you are overtaking increases by an order of magnitude, and compared to where you were before, doing 55 mph, yes, you are now in a comparatively dangerous position. Your speed is increasing, you are now steering consciously, you are more mentally loaded and target fixated with mirror and signal use, and overall mitigating the risk of the overtake. This makes you further vulnerable if something happens during that overtake. Someone doing 55mph instead of 60mph for ten miles will cost you sixty seconds of your day, which is not a measure of time I value so strongly to consider overtaking.

Your appetite and tolerance of risk while driving - and understanding how risk is amplified very strongly by small changes in choices you make driving - will be informed by your own experiences. I can say with some regret that when I was younger I lost a friend in a driving accident (I wonder who here from the old MSTS scene remembers Jamie Bowey?), and another friend wrote off his car while overtaking and going into a ditch.

SargeNpton

Established Member
I'll use my judgement as to whether I overtake - of course, I overtake cyclists (safely), and very slow moving vehicles where it's justifiable, but to be honest if I can do 60 on a road I know well and someone is doing 55, I'll just sit there.
It's when the road is National Speed Limit and the person in front is doing around 45mph (and then slowing down further for bends or other perceived dangers) when all the drivers behind are happy to drive at or near the 60mph limit that gets frustrating.

bramling

Veteran Member
As my avatar implies, I own and drive vintage buses. My double decker will do 36 mph at most, and in practice it's kinder to the old girl to potter along at 32-33 mph. Therefore I know that I'm a massive hindrance to other road users, so I pull over frequently, especially on roads with limited overtaking opportunities. 99 times out of 100 this is appreciated and often drivers give me a thumbs up as they pass, you just get the very odd one (strangely, always a BMW) who gives me a V-sign for daring to be out on the road!

The only thing that irritates me as a driver of a relatively slow vehicle is the driver who overtakes me and then immediately turns left down a side road, often making me brake (BMW); or as I'm slowing down to stop at traffic lights, cuts into my lane in front of me so I have 20 feet less space to stop than I thought I had (BMW 3-series).

It should be a matter of give-and-take on both sides. I certainly know that I'm driving a vehicle from another age that's not built for today's improved performance. But next time you see a classic bus (or lorry) on the road, please could you be a little patient with us?

As someone driving a vintage bus, your standard of driving is highly likely to be above the average Patsi in an Astra, hence I suspect why you say 99 times out of a 100 you're not getting problems - there's of course always going to be the odd bad apple. Following something like a slow truck isn't too much of an issue as chances are it will be well driven, if a little slow.

The real difficulty is that in most cases slow car drivers tend to be associated with other awful habits. Brake lights coming on for no reason, slowing down and speeding up at random, driving below the speed limit for many miles but then failing to drop speed when they enter a 30 mph limit, panic braking when passing a speed camera even when already well below the limit, hovering alongside someone on a 2-lane motorway for long distances, driving slowly on a motorway but yet impatient to pull to the right when *they* wish to overtake something, etc etc etc. All these bad habits are dangerous as well as infuriating. And, yes, one bad habit to add to the list is failing to pull over when a queue has developed behind.

Isn't there a saying which goes "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." This is so true.

jp4712

As someone driving a vintage bus, your standard of driving is highly likely to be above the average Patsi in an Astra, hence I suspect why you say 99 times out of a 100 you're not getting problems - there's of course always going to be the odd bad apple. Following something like a slow truck isn't too much of an issue as chances are it will be well driven, if a little slow.

The real difficulty is that in most cases slow car drivers tend to be associated with other awful habits. Brake lights coming on for no reason, slowing down and speeding up at random, driving below the speed limit for many miles but then failing to drop speed when they enter a 30 mph limit, panic braking when passing a speed camera even when already well below the limit, hovering alongside someone on a 2-lane motorway for long distances, driving slowly on a motorway but yet impatient to pull to the right when *they* wish to overtake something, etc etc etc. All these bad habits are dangerous as well as infuriating. And, yes, one bad habit to add to the list is failing to pull over when a queue has developed behind.

Isn't there a saying which goes "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." This is so true.
When my children were learning to drive (not that I taught them, a professional instructor did it) I told them "never trust a driver wearing a hat" - by which I meant young tearaways in baseball caps turned backwards, AND trilby-wearing crinklies. Not completely accurate, and certainly an unfair sweeping generalisation, but it's surprising how often they've quoted it back at me since as good advice!

skyhigh

Established Member
driving below the speed limit for many miles but then failing to drop speed when they enter a 30 mph limit, panic braking when passing a speed camera even when already well below the limit
Those 2 in particular annoy me. There's a long section of 60mph road near me, with a 30 for a short distance in the middle due to the road passing through a village. The section that's 60 has a good road surface and is both flat and straight. Yet often cars will bimble along at 40mph in perfect conditions - then carry straight on through the village at 40mph.

There's also a 50mph road near me and again cars will often do 40 but sharply brake down to 30 to pass the speed camera then accelerate back up to 40. It just shows they have no awareness of the road they're driving on. Do they think they're speeding doing 40, or just being extra careful of the speed camera?!

Neptune

Established Member
And with good reason - they're both symptomatic of a driver who is paying pitifully little attention to what's going on around them.
Totally agree but according to some, overtaking these people safely to make progress (which they are denying you) is wrong.

bramling

Veteran Member
Totally agree but according to some, overtaking these people safely to make progress (which they are denying you) is wrong.

Has anyone actually said that? I may have misread something, however I thought the view is more that overtaking is adding an element of risk - which of course wouldn't be there is people were driving properly in the first place. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that overtaking is adding risk, whether that risk is justified is of course a value judgement.

I will certainly overtake, however one shouldn't have to simply because someone else can't be bothered to drive correctly. Likewise, at night, if such people can't be bothered to drive correctly, then I can't be bothered to dip my headlamps when stuck behind them (at a safe distance, of course).

C96

Whilst most of the arguments for/against pulling over have been around morally if it’s right or wrong, Rule 169 of the highway code states that slow moving vehicles should not hold up traffic, and allow traffic to pass where possible.

Seejwalker

Nothing frustrates me more than being on national speed limit single lanes for miles, behind a person doing 45mph.
If ramming was legal <D

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
If the maximum is 60, there are few places where someone doing 55 could be safely overtaken, you are only allowed to do 5 mph more.

Is delay caused by vehicles doing less than the maximum speed a significant problem at all?

We all know that going faster than allowed is a big problem, but going too slow?

cactustwirly

Established Member
That’s reasonable if the conditions dictate. Especially if you don’t know the road. It’s sensible not to allow yourself to be pressured to drive faster than you feel comfortable.

Also wise. I prefer to allow people to overtake, because once they’re far ahead of me they no longer pose a risk to me, and it’ll be someone else at risk instead. I dislike overtaking in principle. It is an inherently dangerous manoeuvre and must only be done when there is a compelling reason, in my opinion. Wanting to go 5mph faster “I am in a hurry” wouldn’t be one for me.

I wouldn't say it is dangerous, if executed correctly.
If you have a well sighted bit of straight road for example.

bramling

Veteran Member
If the maximum is 60, there are few places where someone doing 55 could be safely overtaken, you are only allowed to do 5 mph more.

Is delay caused by vehicles doing less than the maximum speed a significant problem at all?

We all know that going faster than allowed is a big problem, but going too slow?

What I find more annoying is the ones who can’t keep at a constant speed, as if following for some distance this can become extremely draining in terms of having to dedicate significant amounts of concentration to what they’re doing. Dropping back isn’t a solution, as you still seem to end up catching up, and you end up causing issues with stuff behind.

Another point to add to all this, more often than not these snails tend to be associated with issues like having lights out or their cars otherwise not maintained properly. If the police paid more attention to this, such people could be got off the roads on that basis alone.

I wouldn't say it is dangerous, if executed correctly.
If you have a well sighted bit of straight road for example.

It’s still added risk, as you simply don’t have the same level of visibility as if you were driving on open road. So whilst you’re focussing on the overtake, you might miss the deer that’s at the side of the road about to run across. For starters at night time there is going to be an issue with visibility on all but the most spacious of roads.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I did not say it was wrong. Here's what I did say:

I prefer to allow people to overtake

I dislike overtaking in principle

must only be done when there is a compelling reason, in my opinion.

but to be honest if I can do 60 on a road I know well and someone is doing 55, I'll just sit there.

Someone doing 55mph instead of 60mph for ten miles will cost you sixty seconds of your day, which is not a measure of time I value so strongly to consider overtaking.

InkyScrolls

Some of the worst in my mind are the Chelsea Tractor drivers who amble at 55 on the motorway until one dares to overtake them, at which point they accelerate just enough to be irritating, especially if, like me, you spend a lot of time driving a well-laden, slow to accelerate van.

John Luxton

Established Member
It has been interesting to read the various replies. I passed my test an 1982 when I was 22 and I will admit to be a cautious driver when I feel it is necessary.

I am quite able to put my foot down in daylight in good conditions on a suitable road.

However two things influenced my driving style.

When I was learning to drive I was holiday with my father in September 1981 we were in Cornwall and travelling back into Devon where we were staying and at the time it came on the radio that there had been a serious fatal accident between Portgate and Lifton on the old A30 before the dual carriageway had been completed, it had happened an hour or two earlier. Back in those days roads were not closed for hours as we seem to do now. As we approached the site this low loader was coming the other way and on it, uncovered, was the remains of the Triumph Herald car - all that was recognisable was the boot and rear wheel area. Found out later that the four occupants and their dog had died.

They were heading west bound and a china clay truck was heading east bound. That had a profound impression on me. Therefore, I will admit to be very reluctant to overtake unless 110% certain it is safe to do so. I must admit I feel relieved that many of the new agricultural tractors coming onto the road these days now appear to have cruising speed of 30 as there is less need to overtake. In tricky areas I will pull over and let the slow vehicle get ahead.

As for night driving an friend and colleague had a very nasty experience in the 1990s on an unlit section of the M6 heading north from the midlands. It was very late and a vehicle carrying pallets must have shed part of the load. The road was quiet, he was travelling fast and by the time he saw them could do nothing but brake and hope for the best. Lost all four tyres and wheels. He had his camera with him and took some photos of the aftermath. The police turned up and told him how lucky he had been and that he had managed to keep control of the car.

After that I certainly reappraised my night driving speed particularly on unlit roads and also on twisty roads and in wet weather. I want to make sure I can see any possible obstruction - some just plunge into the dark at high speed hoping everything is okay.

I would not say I was over cautious bud drive at a manner that I consider to be safe according to the prevailing conditions. Unfortunately some people see the speed limit as a target and not a maximum limit. Just because it says NSL or 70 should you drive at the maximum. These days plodding along at 55 to 60 on the motorway can save a fair bit of fuel on a long journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.