• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you could travel back in time, what service would you like to travel on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marton

Great Central including woodhead

Queen of scots KX to Scotland via Ripon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
The Lancashire Pullman to London in the 1980s, when BR revived the Pullman name for premium business trains.
Featured:-

• Departure from Wigan NW at a civilized hour (around 8am).
  • Freshly cooked fried breakfast, enjoyed with proper white tablecloth & crockery in a spacious Mk.III FO.
  • Followed by unlimited coffee, toast and Frank Cooper's Oxford Marmalade.
  • Nice, peaceful ride to London reading the newspaper or looking out the window - mobile phones were not common in those days.
  • Return trip in evening was uncrowded, allowing me to write up the day's notes in peace & quiet with a relaxing beer or two.
  • Departure platform at Euston was announced in good time - no cavalry charges to the platform.
  • Cost was around £85 for Executive Package - First Class Open Return, with seat reservations & Full English thrown in.

Beats today's business travel on the same journey, which now involves:
  • Stupid-o-clock start (we're required to be in London for 8.30am meetings these days).
  • Cramped in standard class in a packed Pendolino (employer doesn't pay for first class anymore).
  • Annoying prats yelling into mobile phones left, right and centre.
  • No pots of Frank Cooper's marmalade (health & safety, you know). In fact no breakfast at all.
  • Paying an absolute fortune for a peak period ticket.
  • My cardiologist giving me the hard word about fried breakfasts!
Good old progress and Free Enterprise!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Garnant - Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen in the operating period 1907 -1926.(GW Steam Railmotor)

Brynamman East - Swansea St Thomas (LMS - preferably with gas lit stock)

Swansea - Brecon (Midland through service to Birmingham via Hereford)

grid56126

For me a trip around the North Norfolk Orbital line / Melton Constable M&GN branches, including the Lenwade route into Norwich. Preferably all with early series diesel locos just prior to closure.

Aldaniti

The Lancashire Pullman to London in the 1980s, when BR revived the Pullman name for premium business trains.

Featured:-

• Departure from Wigan NW at a civilized hour (around 8am).
  • Freshly cooked fried breakfast, enjoyed with proper white tablecloth & crockery in a spacious Mk.III FO.
  • Followed by unlimited coffee, toast and Frank Cooper's Oxford Marmalade.
  • Nice, peaceful ride to London reading the newspaper or looking out the window - mobile phones were not common in those days.
  • Return trip in evening was uncrowded, allowing me to write up the day's notes in peace & quiet with a relaxing beer or two.
  • Departure platform at Euston was announced in good time - no cavalry charges to the platform.
  • Cost was around £85 for Executive Package - First Class Open Return, with seat reservations & Full English thrown in.

Beats today's business travel on the same journey, which now involves:

• Stupid-o-clock start (we're required to be in London for 8.30am meetings these days).
  • Cramped in standard class in a packed Pendolino (employer doesn't pay for first class anymore).
  • Annoying prats yelling into mobile phones left, right and centre.
  • No pots of Frank Cooper's marmalade (health & safety, you know). In fact no breakfast at all.
  • Paying an absolute fortune for a peak period ticket.
  • My cardiologist giving me the hard word about fried breakfasts!

Good old progress and Free Enterprise!

Don't forget the Lancashire Pullman branded sachets of cologne in the first class toilets!

muddythefish

On Moderation
Northampton to Peterborough behind a class 31 back in the 1960's.

Good shout.

Double track line thrown away - with A45 clogged and massive population growth in the Nene Valley how useful would that line be today ?

Johnnie2Sheds

Tough Question. Even though The Thames Clyde throughout is so tempting and the M&GN is too or even the GC, I'm still going to have to go for "The Limited" throughout. Summer 1976, Mk2a at the front with the windows open. Of course it will have one of those nasty oil sloshing contraptions on the front. Western Thunderer or Western Reliance for preference.

overtonchris

There's sooooo many to choose!! My choices are a bit parochial maybe, but I would choose;-

1. Winchester Chesil to Didcot via Highclere etc. (Downton Abbey anyone?)

2. Basingstoke to Alton ("Oh Mr.Porter"....Buggleskelly and all that....and NO I don't remember the 1937 film!).....oh and "The Wrecker".......

3. Andover (Junction, as was) - Redbridge - via Stockbridge & Romsey..... Now..... who could resist having a go on something called "The Sprat & Winkle Line"?!:D

Yew

Established Member
Either an APT-P, a Blue Pullman, or something using 'slip carriages'

DiscoStu

Not so much a service, but a move. I always wished I could have done the 20.45 Carlisle to Perth mail train which used an electric to Mossend for a Type 2 or 37 forward to Perth, followed by the 01.45 (I think) Perth to Aberdeen, which then formed a 4am'ish mail train to Elgin which sat in the goods yard before heading on to Inverness at about 7am.

Lots of diesel, steam heat mk1 compo mileage. Can't beat it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There seems to be a distinct lack of imagination here. Surely this would be the best place to be:

27th September 1826. Darlington. Day 1.

Bill Stanier

There seems to be a distinct lack of imagination here. Surely this would be the best place to be:

27th September 1826. Darlington. Day 1.

I don't think so. One of mine was Liverpool Road Station, Manchester, 1830, behind a 'Planet'. World's first passenger railway service.

scarby

Whitby-Scarborough some time in 1964.

I'm afraid though that on arrival I will slip straight out of the station for some more 1964 experiences...

IanD

Established Member
Wolverton to Newport Pagnell behind an Ivatt tank would be another.

This, obviously.

Northampton to Peterborough behind a class 31 back in the 1960's.

Seconded (plus Northampton to Market Harborough).

My own:
Shipley GN to Laisterdyke via Windhill, Idle and Eccleshill.

If I could only travel back along my own timeline, I'd just redo all the journeys I did (particularly around Scotland in the 80s 26s and 37s on the West Highland/Far North/Kyle lines - fantastic) but with a digital camera so I could have afford to take more photos!

Established Member
i know you said one but, I'd have loved to be on the Mallard run that got up to 126mph. Failing that just go back to a summer saturday in the mid 80's between Berwick and York. To get anywhere close these days its a Diesel Gala. Lastly how i hanker for the Newcastle-Liverpool turn o be loco hauled again

Hellfire

Choice of two with my GWR hat on.

Any train running west from Paddington behind one of Daniel Gooch's broad gauge flyers

On the footplate of The City of Truro on 9th May 1904, clutching a GPS, to finally prove conclusively that she was the first locomotive to breach the 100mph barrier.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think so. One of mine was Liverpool Road Station, Manchester, 1830, behind a 'Planet'. World's first passenger railway service.

I think you would need to go back to 1807 for the world's first fare paying passenger railway service. The Oystermouth Railway later known as Swansea & Mumbles.

D6975

Established Member
Difficult to chose, but I think I'd like to do the NE Scottish branches and the coast route (Buckie) behind class 21s.

A ride to Manchester on the Blue Pullman seems to be a popular choice, I wouldnt be too disappointed with that I feel.

Valentia Harbour branch in Kerry with a C would have to be my Irish choice.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think you would need to go back to 1807 for the world's first fare paying passenger railway service. The Oystermouth Railway later known as Swansea & Mumbles.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa! Any fule kno that the first train was in Darlington. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
or somewhere between Shildon & Darlo
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
wiki is suggesting Shildon

If I remember correctly the first train was a day before the public service and was a directors test run and ran from Shildon to Darlington. The first “service” train ran from Shildon to Darlington, then Darlington to Stockton.

If I was unable to travel due to a shortage of advance fares ;) I would suggest standing somewhere near the Skerne Bridge or out near Heighington.

Karl

On Moderation
I'd love an early 1960's trip along the whole length of the former West Lancashire Railway from Preston Fishergate Hill station to Southport, passing along the way the former stations at Penwortham Cop Lane, New Longton and Hutton, Longton Bridge, Hoole, Hesketh Bank, Hundred End, Banks, Crossens, Churchtown, Hesketh Park and finally Southport.

I still can't believe that there's still no direct service from Preston to Southport when there's the Burscough Curves still relatively intact. Also, why does the Preston to Liverpool line terminate at Ormskirk?

Anyway, there's some great nostalgic trips being mentioned here thanks. Great thread by the way :)

infobleep

Veteran Member
Further to my earlier answers I'd like to travel in an open carriage on the fastest service those were ever attached to and to pass through a tunnel in one.

I would also like to travel on a train that stopped at Shap because there are no remains of the station now.

Croydon Central would be an interesting journey and Southsea too.

There must be some remote stations with beautiful views and/or viaducts. Whitby to Scarborough for example. Throw a few of those in as well for good measure.

As someone already mentioned slip carriage. I'd like to ride in one of those. Rail motorcar too would be interesting.

Also a ride on some early 1900s electric trains. Such as those run by London and Brighton South Coast Railway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.