• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you were forced to self isolate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

class387

Established Member
School finished on Thursday and GCSEs have been cancelled, so I assume I'll be at home until September (so almost 6 months). No idea what I'll do since I can neither do anything rail related nor meet up with friends, and there isn't anything to study for either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
School finished on Thursday and GCSEs have been cancelled, so I assume I'll be at home until September (so almost 6 months). No idea what I'll do since I can neither do anything rail related nor meet up with friends, and there isn't anything to study for either.

There's plenty of things people can do at home...;)

alxndr

Established Member

If you want to keep your brain ticking over there are plenty of online courses that you can look into depending on your interests. Takes a bit of motivation but if you've nothing else to do and have an interest in it it can be quite interesting and feel productive. You could look into things related to what you've chosen to study next year.

Try to do 15k of steps a day.
Lose two stone.
Work from home.
Ebay like mad.
Clear out the loft.
Sort out the Garden.
Get my tax done early.
Start up a new business.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was planning a rail trip to northern Italy in September - I guess that's a pipe-dream now.
I will probably have a go at planning something for 2021, using the European Rail Timetable as a virtual resource.
Apparently they are going to continue with publishing the regular timetable, despite being increasingly fictional with all the service reductions.
It could be a while before reliable cross-border trains reappear, especially the one-a-day types in places like the Balkans.

I left a lot of tasks until I retired, but when that actually happened I couldn't be bothered...!
I've scanned all my slides to suit HD screens, but with the big-screen/4K world now with us, I might have to do them again at a higher resolution.
Couldn't bring myself to dump the slides - pity I dumped the slide scanner though!

Next door is picking weeds out of her block-paved drive for the first time this year, a "Forth Bridge" task round here.
I think I might have to do the same, and other chores, for the next several months.
I shall miss my weekly "day ranger" rail trips each week, observing the chaos on TPE/Northern, soup from Greggs, Upper Crust baguette etc.
Good health to all railway staff during the crisis.

3rd rail land

Things I'll actually get done now everything is cloaed/cancelled/postponed:

Spring cleaning
Finish studying for the work related certification I am studying for
Make a list of all those little DIY/repair jobs that need doing and perhaps make a start on said list
Finish painting the hallway which is long overdue a new coat of paint

SHD

"The Great Escape" is indeed perfectly suited for an evening watch under lockdown :lol:

3rd rail land

Things I'll actually get done now everything is cloaed/cancelled/postponed:

Spring cleaning
Finish studying for the work related certification I am studying for
Make a list of all those little DIY/repair jobs that need doing and perhaps make a start on said list
Finish painting the hallway which is long overdue a new coat of paint

That said I am already missing my hobbies which have all been put on hold.

S&CLER

I'll deal with rail-deprivation by watching my extensive collection of cab-ride DVDs. Since I can't listen to music and read at the same time (it just doesn't work for me), I often watch cab-rides with the sound off while listening to music. In the case of Kingfisher Productions DVDs, this is necessary anyway, as the guy who does most of the commentary/cab conversation has an infuriating giggly voice and his conversation is full of the most inane, ignorant, under-researched questions. I often felt when listening to him as if I needed one of those foam rubber bricks on a string that you can get to throw at the TV screen when [insert name of politician of your choice] comes on.

I haven't got to the stage of matching the music to the cab-ride yet, but Elgar would go well with the Cotswolds and Malverns DVD, and Hamish McCunn 's overture Land of the Mountain and the Flood with the West Highland. If I had any Welsh valleys DVDs I suppose I could play a Welsh male voice choir.

nlogax

Established Member
I've just discovered Train Sim World 2020 for PS4. It's a nice way to pass the time! Even just as a foot passenger watching the world go by from the open gangway door of the rear parcel van..closest I'll get to the real thing for some months.

Status
Not open for further replies.