• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"I'm going to the papers about this"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fare-Cop

given the sparseness and quality of ATWs facilites - although the new machines are rather better than the old ones and some are even going in in very sensible places and numbers - one right on each of the two platforms at Runcorn East) then they will just have to trust the punters, won't they.

I don't disagree with all of your comments, but those who cannot be trusted simply cannot continue to 'bleat' when they are identified, reported and justifiably prosecuted whilst perhaps the rest of us can be far better engaged by ceasing the constant search for excuses for simply not using those facilities in these sort of circumstances.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't disagree with all of your comments, but those who cannot be trusted simply cannot continue to 'bleat' when they are identified, reported and justifiably prosecuted whilst perhaps the rest of us can be far better engaged by ceasing the constant search for excuses for simply not using those facilities in these sort of circumstances.

Unless I am missing something here, I thought the answer in these situations is quite straight forward. If the passenger requests a ticket which is available from the TVM and pays with a method accepted by the TVM, then ching them up, and prosecute if needed be, otherwise let them buy the ticket they require.

Of course at busier stations, the train company should be providing more than just a single TVM.

headshot119

Established Member
I don't disagree that there are large numbers of chancers out there who know exactly what they are doing and will go to any length to avoid paying. But you have to understand that:

a) those people aren't the people contributing to this forum and
b) the only completely effective way for your employers to resolve the 'trust' issue that you rightly identify is to provide better ticketing facilities - in the case mentioned, staffing Wrexham Central would be that solution.

Unfortunately the railway very often doesn't want to pay for the solution to that problem. If that's the case (as it appears to be given the sparseness and quality of ATWs facilites - although the new machines are rather better than the old ones and some are even going in in very sensible places and numbers - one right on each of the two platforms at Runcorn East) then they will just have to trust the punters, won't they.

Why do you think ATW need to staff Wrexham Central? You cannot miss the TVM as you walk onto the platform it's straight ahead of you before you turn right to walk along the platform to the train.

The TVM sells tickets suitable for 99.9% of the people travelling along the line.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The station only needs to be staffed if they wish to work on the basis that everyone on the train should already have a ticket.

455driver

Veteran Member
The station only needs to be staffed if they wish to work on the basis that everyone on the train should already have a ticket.

There is a ticket machine which is capable of selling the tickets required by 99% of those caught without tickets on that train, surely that is adequate provision?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think starmill's point is that those who were unable to purchase their required ticket (because the TVM could not sell every possible ticket) should not be penalised. I see no suggestion that it is the case.

Whatever range the TVM sells is no problem as long as the aforementioned provision is stuck to.

455driver

Veteran Member
I think starmill's point is that those who were unable to purchase their required ticket (because the TVM could not sell every possible ticket) should not be penalised. I see no suggestion that it is the case.

Whatever range the TVM sells is no problem as long as the aforementioned provision is stuck to.

He is making excuses (none of which actually apply in this case) why people cant/wont buy tickets before travelling despite there being TVMs or even ticket offices available, why he always takes threads off on a railway bashing expedition is beyond me!

He doesn't seem to get the fact that a lot of people refuse to buy tickets and moan like sh-t when they get caught.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
He is making excuses (none of which actually apply in this case) why people cant/wont buy tickets before travelling despite there being TVMs or even ticket offices available, why he always takes threads off on a railway bashing expedition is beyond me!

He doesn't seem to get the fact that a lot of people refuse to buy tickets and moan like sh-t when they get caught.

I think we can agree that those who do not purchase their ticket despite facilities being provided for their required tickets to be sold should feel the full force of the law, whereas those who could not purchase their required tickets should be allowed to do so at the next available opportunity. I doubt many sensible people would disagree with this. Let's leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.