• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

atomicdanny

Even more funnier for me because I managed to post that at the same time but in the guess the station thread, lol :oops: - oh well :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
Excellent :)

OK then; try this one...

When the line through this station was new, it saw trains from London; these continued only as far as the next station to the south, which is in the county town. Most such trains did not run down this route though; they "diverted" via (or more accurately stayed on) another line from which this route splits to the north. These days though, this station is on the poor side of a three-way triangle, whose third line (which is younger) connects with the main route, mentioned above, in the local city.

Ivo

Established Member
Given this thread doesn't really follow its own rules any more I didn't think anyone would mind! I am known for being a bit of a Quiz Whiz on here - I get others' easily, and then set hard ones of my own. If you need evidence, look here.

Good luck :)

HST Power

Established Member
I don't mind in the slightest! You don't need to show me any evidence! If there's a quiz, I'll take it! :)

gnolife

Established Member
is it Cooksbridge?

the next station is Lewes, the county town of East Sussex

three lines of the triangle are the London-Eastbourne direct (the "poor side" refered to), East Coastway and the London-Brighton.

The nearest city would be Brighton and Hove

Ivo

Established Member
The Cooksbridge line still sees London trains though ;)

Also, I may be wrong but I believe that the Cooksbridge line is the youngest of the three.

Ivo

Established Member
This possibly? ;)

When the line through this station was new, it saw trains from London; these continued only as far as the next station to the south, which is in the county town. Most such trains did not run down this route though; they "diverted" via (or more accurately stayed on) another line from which this route splits to the north. These days though, this station is on the poor side of a three-way triangle, whose third line (which is younger) connects with the main route, mentioned above, in the local city.

I'll give another clue. This station has a less-than-hourly frequency in both directions.

seagull

OK then; try this one...

Would it be Lawrence Hill, by any chance?

Rhubarb Loop is the younger 'third line' connecting to Bristol-Swindon route.

Ivo

Established Member
No. Lawrence Hill has a better frequency than the new clue indicates. Also, the "Loop" you mention is not the site of the station in question; it isn't on a triangle period.

imagination

melksham?

Trowbridge is the county town of wiltshire and is the next stop to the south. It has a (far) less than hourly service and no through trains to London. However trains from London would come from the north and have next stop Trowbridge. The other 2 lines also connect in the city of Bath, one of these being the main route in the form of the great western main line, the other being the newer line through Bradford on Avon.

imagination

1. The stations on either side of this station are now closed.
2. There is only one train service interrupting what would otherwise be a gap of over 10.5 hours during the daytime in the southbound weekday timetable, though there are a total of 7 trains in this direction every weekday.
3. There are trains passing through this station on the way to London and to Cornwall, although this station has services to neither.
4. There is at least one service per weekday from this station terminating one stop to the north and at least one service terminating one stop to the south, although neither of these stations are termini.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.