• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Improved deal for football fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Prisoner

Virgin have been known to put additional services on for games. Sure they put an extra non-stop service on to get Man United fans home after the Arsenal cup game (?) earlier this season. They also have offered discounted tickets to fans @ PNE, Carlisle and Man City before. Recall back in the BR days the Area Manager for Carlisle putting a Sunday morning train on to get to the Auto Windscreens Cup Final at the old Wembley. Caught it from Penrith and it must have taken seven plus hours to get there - back in those days the WCML often didn't open until 3pm and after Preston it went all round the houses to avoid possessions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonbridge

Established Member
Some selections this season involving Newcastle United:

Burnley (H), switched from Wed 27/02 to Tue 26/02 with 4 weeks notice (because BT had a free TV slot due to Spurs progression in the CL)
West Ham (A) 17:30 ko, Saturday 02/03, Last train back to Newcastle from Kings Cross: 19:33 (assuming the game finishes dead on time, that gives 15 minutes to get from Statford to KC)
Arsenal (A) 20:00 ko, Monday 01/04, Last train back to Newcastle from Kings Cross: 22:00 (again, finishing dead on time, gives 15 minutes to get from the Emirates to KC)

Arsenal vs Newcastle was moved to the Monday night with the provision to move it back to the Sunday if necessary. Wolves vs Arsenal was scheduled for FA Cup quarter finals weekend and now needs to be moved as Wolves are still in the cup. Due to the upcoming international break and the Champions/Europa League schedule there are only two midweeks available for playing rearranged games, April 2nd/3rd, and April 23rd/24th. It's being suggested on other forums that the Wolves game will be April 3rd, with Newcastle on Sunday 31st......which is also Checkatrade final day, which would leave potential for fun and games on the trains if Sunderland are at Wembley.........

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I would be interested where football specials would start for some clubs?

Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal?

In terms of specials didn't Chelsea hire a Pendolino from Manchester to London after a late game at Manchester City midweek last season or the season before?
In the order you've listed them, Stockport; Bangkok; Dubai; Billericay.

SteveP29

And now we have this.......
Ahead of this Friday's scheduled Premier League live TV matches announcement for April, a further alteration to Newcastle's remaining fixture list is still possible.

Crystal Palace's progress to the last eight of the FA Cup leaves them now just one win away from a Semi-Final that would be played over the weekend of April 6th - when the Eagles are due on Tyneside.

That won't be confirmed until the weekend of March 16th, when Roy Hodgson's side travel to fellow Premier League side Watford for a Quarter Final tie that must be settled on the day.

From www.nufc.com

LeylandLen

Virgin have been known to put additional services on for games. Sure they put an extra non-stop service on to get Man United fans home after the Arsenal cup game (?) earlier this season. They also have offered discounted tickets to fans @ PNE, Carlisle and Man City before. Recall back in the BR days the Area Manager for Carlisle putting a Sunday morning train on to get to the Auto Windscreens Cup Final at the old Wembley. Caught it from Penrith and it must have taken seven plus hours to get there - back in those days the WCML often didn't open until 3pm and after Preston it went all round the houses to avoid possessions.

Virgin put on this extra 390 from Euston yesterday after Man Utd won in the cup at chelsea.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U00543/2019/02/18/advanced

They also are running these 2 trains from Euston this Sunday after the Chelsea v Man City League cup final ..
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U00554/2019/02/24/advanced
and ...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U00555/2019/02/24/advanced

Obviously I dont know if the trains were restricted to fans of the clubs..or just extra services for the number of passengers being carried.
Just looked on National Rail website ..

The first, 1948 is listed as being available to anyone, but not the 2030 which is STP
'runs as required'

Last edited:

SteveP29

And this is why i still haven't planned my trip up there because of this so no chance of anything cheap for me only 3 weeks out.

I've not booked my trains Edinburgh to Newcastle for that weekend either, we're going to get the same amount of notice for the Liverpool game too.
3 home games left to book for this season and 2 of them are still to be potentially affected by TV

Established Member
Virgin put on this extra 390 from Euston yesterday after Man Utd won in the cup at chelsea.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U00543/2019/02/18/advanced

They also are running these 2 trains from Euston this Sunday after the Chelsea v Man City League cup final ..
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U00554/2019/02/24/advanced
and ...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U00555/2019/02/24/advanced

Obviously I dont know if the trains were restricted to fans of the clubs..or just extra services for the number of passengers being carried.
Just looked on National Rail website ..

The first, 1948 is listed as being available to anyone, but not the 2030 which is STP
'runs as required'
That’s almost certainly the same train. Latter path in the event of extra time and penalties.

Clip

Established Member
I've not booked my trains Edinburgh to Newcastle for that weekend either, we're going to get the same amount of notice for the Liverpool game too.
3 home games left to book for this season and 2 of them are still to be potentially affected by TV

Ive pretty much given up going really since I left the railway - its just becoming too awkward !!

sprunt

To be fair, games being re-arranged because the opposition is still in the cup isn't a new thing, and IMO doesn't really fall into what is being addressed here - games moved at short notice for the whims of TV companies. Although it would obviously be good if the former benefitted from a solution to the latter.

Clip

Established Member
To be fair, games being re-arranged because the opposition is still in the cup isn't a new thing, and IMO doesn't really fall into what is being addressed here - games moved at short notice for the whims of TV companies. Although it would obviously be good if the former benefitted from a solution to the latter.

yes it has been around for ages but its still part of the problem which these tickets are to address.

Nick66

Liverpool is guaranteed to be on TV, announcement due 5 April

SteveP29

To be fair, games being re-arranged because the opposition is still in the cup isn't a new thing

I agree, but to add in the fact that the tv companies might take that game to show live too adds more frustration to fans of both Palace and Newcastle

Liverpool is guaranteed to be on TV, announcement due 5 April

There are only 2 games in May, one is set in stone at 3pm on Sunday 12th May, so why can't the games on the weekend of May 4th be announced at the same time as the April games?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I agree, but to add in the fact that the tv companies might take that game to show live too adds more frustration to fans of both Palace and Newcastle

There are only 2 games in May, one is set in stone at 3pm on Sunday 12th May, so why can't the games on the weekend of May 4th be announced at the same time as the April games?

They could be possible title deciders.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Looks like Chiltern have put on additional services from Wembley Stadium this Sunday to cope with the League Cup Final, though they don't seem to think that there will be extra time or penalties.....

philthetube

Established Member
In reality they are probably sitting in the sidings to be called on as required, because it is almost an enclosed railway Chiltern can be more flexible than most.

LeylandLen

Premier League games moved for live television in April should be made public tomorrow, 22nd...

By the way , Arsenal were told by UEFA ( Europes football governing body )that tonights Europa leage game v Bate MUST kick off at 1755 . Chelsea also playing at home with usual 20.00 kick off. UEFA do not like teams in there competitions kicking off at the sametime in same city, even though it does obviosly happen in league games. The 17.55 KO is relevant to this forum as obviously will have an impact on trains underground busses in north London at rush hour !

To me , a simple football supporter, it seems that UEFA can overrule Met Police, Mayor of London , TOCs and tfl ...

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
I'm surprised any football authority has the right to overrule the police.

Football needs to get back in its box and remember the fans

Clip

Established Member
In reality they are probably sitting in the sidings to be called on as required, because it is almost an enclosed railway Chiltern can be more flexible than most.

They still have to diagram the drivers who may or not be within their hours - its never as simple as just putting trains on. Ive sat with the planning guys at Chiltern before and it looks a right headache for these extras believe me

Puffing Devil

Established Member

In RTT they seem to be full run trains - only one Wembley to Euston

All I know is I'm happy, as it was a 20 minute gap between trains that's now been upped. I'm looking for a better route to Euston than the tube and the huge queues,

Puffing Devil

Established Member
So announce Newcastle v Liverpool and Man City v whoever they're playing to both be played on the Sunday (there are the only likely title contenders this season) with the April selections

I agree, though football is fickle. Spurs could come up on the rails. Liverpool could bottle it (again). Too close to call at the moment.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
One easy way to avoid being affected by TV companies dictating kick off times is to jump off the Premier League bandwagon and support your local non league team instead. Newcastle United fans might like to note that both South Shields and Morpeth Town for example are doing quite well at the moment....

Clip

Established Member
One easy way to avoid being affected by TV companies dictating kick off times is to jump off the Premier League bandwagon and support your local non league team instead. Newcastle United fans might like to note that both South Shields and Morpeth Town for example are doing quite well at the moment....

Its really not that simple. And to be fair I have been down to Orient a few times but its just not the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

sprunt

So announce Newcastle v Liverpool and Man City v whoever they're playing to both be played on the Sunday (there are the only likely title contenders this season) with the April selections

But (from the point of view of the TV people) it's a bit more complicated than that - one or other of Liverpool or City could collapse, and the title be all but over by then, in which case the attention for live games would likely switch to the teams battling relegation. Cardiff and Southampton fans would be advised not to make any travel plans yet as well.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
In RTT they seem to be full run trains - only one Wembley to Euston

All I know is I'm happy, as it was a 20 minute gap between trains that's now been upped. I'm looking for a better route to Euston than the tube and the huge queues,

Beware of the no 18 bus which runs from Wembley to Euston. The last time I caught it, I had to ask the driver to let me off after only progressing 100 yards in 30 minutes. I then walked to Wembley Central where I had to queue around the station for about 20 mins before catching a train to Euston. But maybe that was a bad day as it was a London derby (Spurs v Chelsea) and everybody was heading south.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Beware of the no 18 bus which runs from Wembley to Euston. The last time I caught it, I had to ask the driver to let me off after only progressing 100 yards in 30 minutes. I then walked to Wembley Central where I had to queue around the station for about 20 mins before catching a train to Euston. But maybe that was a bad day as it was a London derby (Spurs v Chelsea) and everybody was heading south.

The received wisdom seems to be to take the tube out and the train back, to dodge the queues at Wembley Park. My last trip saw us waiting for around an hour to get the tube back into town.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
In terms of Wembley, I've been there a few times but only once by public transport, and I didn't think the tube after the match was that bad, but it was Spurs v Cardiff and the attendance was pretty low!

But (from the point of view of the TV people) it's a bit more complicated than that - one or other of Liverpool or City could collapse, and the title be all but over by then, in which case the attention for live games would likely switch to the teams battling relegation. Cardiff and Southampton fans would be advised not to make any travel plans yet as well.

Indeed. Our game away at Fulham at the end of April is one I have my eyes on that could be moved, annoyingly as I really want to book train tickets for it soon!

SteveP29

Newcastle United fans might like to note that both South Shields and Morpeth Town for example are doing quite well at the moment....

Shields are the team the mackem deserters went to.
NUFC fans are advised to go for Gateshead, Heaton Stannington and other clubs in Northumberland (like Morpeth Town, as you've mentioned)

Also, being as I live in Edinburgh and travel for NUFC home games, I'm more likely to join the other half and her son at Tynecastle if I were ever to give up on NUFC

SteveP29

And now we have Brighton V Newcastle, 17:30, Saturday 27th April FFS
We had the same fixture at 4pm last season and Tuesday night at 19:45 the season before.

Southampton fans also sh*t on, coming to us for a 17:30 k/o on 20th April

Status
Not open for further replies.