• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Improved deal for football fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

Organising events which thousands of people would wish to travel to on a day when the rail network shuts down is a pretty farcical state of affairs.

But as I said, "People have managed OK for decades...". What percentage of football fans travel by train? I bet it's less than 10%. Most will walk or cycle (home games in your own town/city), others will drive (or be driven) or use a supporters coach. These are all available on Boxing Day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyHudds

But as I said, "People have managed OK for decades...". What percentage of football fans travel by train? I bet it's less than 10%. Most will walk or cycle (home games in your own town/city), others will drive (or be driven) or use a supporters coach. These are all available on Boxing Day.

Just as an aside to that, I didn't attend my clubs away match at Old Trafford this Boxing Day just gone as there were no trains. I have no access to a car and travelling by official coach is of no interest to me, so sweeping generalisations like yours aren't really helpful. If I had really had wanted to go I could have got the coach but chose not to for my own reasons as I don't like getting driven straight to the ground and dropped off and hour and a half before kick off. Like to have an explore, take some refreshments under my own steam.

Also fans of certain clubs don't always like in the same town or city as the club they support so local train services provides the means to get to games. My club draws support from small towns nearby like Brighouse, Mirfield, Elland, Wakefield and Dewsbury, 4 of the have direct trains to Huddersfield to bring fans in.

Last edited:

al78

Established Member
"People have managed OK for decades...".

I find it bizarre why anyone thinks this is a reasonable argument, as though everyone should just put up with stagnation and regression, rather that calling people out on crapness, and campaigning to improve things where improvements are desirable. It is the sort of argument those in a position to be able to make improvemtne but can't be bothered would make.

Skie

Merseyrail could do with taking heed of this. 30 minute Sunday service with 3 car trains couldn't cope with the Football today (or any sunday, really).

underbank

Established Member
People have put up with many other examples of poor customer experience for decades. That is no good reason to not fix the issue if the opportunity arises.

Hence why Royal Mail have lost market share in the internet shopping market. New competitors come along with better services. Unfortunately it's the standard way of operating for nationalised and ex-nationalised industries - the old "like it or lump it" approach of having a customer base with no other options and where the industry is geared up for the benefit of the workers rather than their customers/clients/patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.