• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

In-cab bugbears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
The last few generations of passenger cabs have this issue and I don't know why ASLEF accept them.
Although UK trains are de facto single driver operation, there are also so many needs for a second seat in the cab. These vary from traction training and route learning to assessments, pass outs, pilot working, line examination etc etc. Yet ASLEF seem to sign off cab after cab as fit for use whn the majority of task mentioned cannot really be achieved satisfactorily.
You don't ever see a rather pisspoor "aecondman's" seat in an aeroplane cockpit do you ?

Aircraft, unlike trains, have a constant requirement for 2 people "up-front" at all times, and the seat that is in overall command will alternate on just about every leg.

Despite that long list of tasks for the second seat on a train, I suspect that the average number of people in a cab rarely exceeds 1.05 and compromising the cab for that 5% of occasions when it's in use does not outweight the benefits of an uncompromised main driver's seat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
Despite that long list of tasks for the second seat on a train, I suspect that the average number of people in a cab rarely exceeds 1.05 and compromising the cab for that 5% of occasions when it's in use does not outweight the benefits of an uncompromised main driver's seat.

Pity the DIs who end up spending the vast majority of their days on a terrible secondman seats. I've known one DI pack in instructing just because he couldn't physically stand it anymore.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
You can isolate the traction interlock loop. And you can isolate the brakes so maybe it was being haulled in some way.

I would hope that during their conversion, many 319 issues were addressed.
Ah, thanks for the explanation - presumably it was running isolated then. As for the latter part, sadly I doubt it. I had a brief look recently at one of GWR's refurbished examples and was surprised to see a few FCC stickers clinging on, so I doubt much of the mechanics / issues would have been changed!

ComUtoR

Established Member
Ah, thanks for the explanation - presumably it was running isolated then.

If you look at the cab windscreens you might see one of the isolation 'flags' They will lift up and you can tell what has been isolated from the position of the flag.

1654261371362.png

Bugbears with the 319...

I have a whole Sleuth of them !

skyhigh

Established Member
If you look at the cab windscreens you might see one of the isolation 'flags' They will lift up and you can tell what has been isolated from the position of the flag.
I think at least some of those have been modified to the new-style turn key isolations that put a blue light in the second person's side windscreen now. Don't know if that applies to the GWR ones too.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
i) Emergency stop plunger on secondmans side of 175s - so many times it gets knocked...
ii) Cab litter, whilst all are responsible, primarily is from one depot at our firm.
iii) Any springloaded Desiro cab window that flies upward and knocks your chin out.
In the Summer some people leave all the heat on with the Cab windows closed.
In the Winter some people leave the cab windows open with the heating off.
Number three = 455's are good for that and also the finger chopper cab doors although over the years we've got used to that.I usually put my bag in the way to stop the flimsy door from slamming shut.

bramling

Veteran Member
Aircraft, unlike trains, have a constant requirement for 2 people "up-front" at all times, and the seat that is in overall command will alternate on just about every leg.

That may make sense from a purely logical point of view, however look at it from the point of view of people who have to spend a lot of time in the secondman's seat, and remember that if supervising someone they will be responsible for the safe operation of the train. Regardless of how often the second seat is occupied, it should be fit for the purpose that it's there for.

Instructing is a vital role, and one which at times already struggles to attract people for various reasons, so having a setup which contributes to making it unattractive isn't really the way to be going.

Last edited:

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Class 321 cabs being so cramped you have to squeeze past the controls.
The 450/444 seat is a bit like that sometimes I vary how I get out depending on whether there are passengers in the coach behind me or whether I've got the hump.:s
I drove 321s many years ago not for long though.The 456 cabs were similar with a mismatched seat on the secondmans side which was too large, and we all had to squeeze past.
Also on some 456 units the cab door opened (from the platform) so fast sometimes it was like it was trying to chop my hand off.We got used to that as well.
456's had the same cab layout as the 321's as they were from the same era.

Last edited:

Jturner98

What’s a class 458 cab like? Seems very cramped to me after seeing a photo of it online

SNDave

The flipping loud ‘train length reached’ bleeps every time we accidentally double tap the DSD pedal on 745/755s. Does my head in.
"loud train length reached beeps" - I wish.... Instead, we play russian roulette by guessing the train length (could be anything from 3 to 12).

My real bugbear is the high-pitched whistling noise generated by improperly closed weather doors on our gangwayed electrostars

dk1

Veteran Member
"loud train length reached beeps" - I wish.... Instead, we play russian roulette by guessing the train length (could be anything from 3 to 12).

My real bugbear is the high-pitched whistling noise generated by improperly closed weather doors on our gangwayed electrostars
Nearest we get to that is rattling & raising sun blinds on jointed track. Used to be able to shove a folded prep slip into them but don’t have them anymore.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
What’s a class 458 cab like? Seems very cramped to me after seeing a photo of it online
OK I guess.I'm used to it.The seat isn't as comfortable as desiro's.
159's in the winter vary with the heating.Unlike the 455's which also has a heater on the secondmans side 159's haven't, so it varies how draughty and cold they can get, so now I shut the cab door and box myself in.

Juniper Driver

Established Member

455's do that and leak water also.
159 generally just leak water all over the cab floor.caused by rain of course
450/444 are draughty through the centre doors if they aren't locked properly.
707s the wheels tend to screech at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.