• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Great Coates level crossing - 09/04/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM-Taylor

Incident involving the 19.26 CLE-SCU TPExpress service.

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/VIDE...tory-18654460-detail/story.html#axzz2PsCzOhuK

Two dead as car and train collide at Great Coates

TWO people have died after a train and car collided on the crossing in Great Coates tonight.

Police, fire crews and ambulance paramedics were called following the incident at 7.30pm and Station Road was cordoned off.

There were at least two people in the car - one of the fatalities was pronounced dead at the scene and the other on the way to hospital.

The train involved was the 19.26 from Cleethorpes and it was travelling at 60mph, according to a spokesman for British Transport Police.

Trains between Scunthorpe and Cleethorpes are cancelled for the rest of the night.
Two people confirmed dead. UPDATE - suggestions from another forum are that a stationary car was shunted from behind in front of the barriers and train travelling at 60mph

All trains from Grimsby/Cleethorpes to Scunthorpe/Barnetby/Lincoln suspended until further notice.

R.I.P. - Sad news

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScottMathew

I really feel for train drivers in situations like this. The driver will now have to live with this for the rest of his life. Thoughts are with the family of those killed :(

RM-Taylor

First post updated. On the Grimsby Town FC forum, a railway worker has beem informed that this is what happened.

Boothby97

Established Member
There's a family I know who live 5 minutes away from Great Coates station, and they could hear the constant hooting of the 185.

Thoughts to all involved at this time :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Sam

MCW

I think my new found spotter mate was on that train..... he lives in Grimsby.

Very sad news, thoughts with the family of the car occupants no matter what has happened and many thoughts with the Driver, I hope they pull through from this.

fordylad

Very sad news indeed!
However, when will these people learn!! As a train driver there are plenty of crossings where I hold my breath as I approach, wondering if some idiot is about to remove themselves from the gene pool

grah2702

Incident involving the 19.26 CLE-SCU TPExpress service.

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/VIDE...tory-18654460-detail/story.html#axzz2PsCzOhuK

Two people confirmed dead. UPDATE - suggestions from another forum are that a stationary car was shunted from behind in front of the barriers and train travelling at 60mph

All trains from Grimsby/Cleethorpes to Scunthorpe/Barnetby/Lincoln suspended until further notice.

R.I.P. - Sad news

Photo's and video seems to give credence to this theory as the down side barrier seams to be missing.

boing_uk

That is perhaps because it has been flattened by the crumpled wreckage of the vehicle... along with the wig wag lantern.

I am surprised at the size of the wreckage pile where it is and not deposited further from the crossing.

Boothby97

Established Member
There is NO blame in this post.
I think the main issue that has been raised is the fact they are half barriers which only cover one side of the road on each side of the level crossing so people will/do (like at other crossings) drive round these barriers with severe consequences. Apparently, the car may be pushed onto the crossing from behind though.
And for anyone who's interested, 185139 was the unit involved and services have resumed now. The unit off the Barton shuttle ran empty from Ulceby to Scunthorpe last night, and came back to Cleethorpes this morning. Whilst, the other two 185s ran empty from Barnetby (off the route learner) and Scunthorpe.

Thanks, Sam

Tomnick

Established Member
If the car's been shoved onto the crossing, I don't see how the type of crossing is relevant anyway? It'd have gone through full barriers just as easily. I'm not surprised to see some of the comments condemning AHBs on the news websites though - a little bit of research into the different types of crossing wouldn't do them any harm before posting!

Thoughts are with the family at this time.

EMT tweeted that their was a bus replacement service between Cleethorpes and Lincoln last night, it was only later that I found out the horror of why.

Monty

Established Member
If the car's been shoved onto the crossing, I don't see how the type of crossing is relevant anyway? It'd have gone through full barriers just as easily. I'm not surprised to see some of the comments condemning AHBs on the news websites though - a little bit of research into the different types of crossing wouldn't do them any harm before posting!

Indeed, fully barriered CCTV crossing would not have fare much better in this case. They are notoriously easy to knock down with a vehicle, but then again I imagine thats a safety feature so if a car was to become trapped on a crossing they (the driver) could merely drive through it.

http://youtu.be/-8l3XirbIro

oddiesjack

Perhaps someone ought to design a barrier that is easily breakable outwards (ie away from the railway) but that is much more difficult to break through in the opposite direction.

Tomnick

Established Member
It was suggested on another forum - one of the posts above mentions it - by someone who seems to know what they're on about (Signalman at Pasture St at a guess?).

Whether it's correct or not though, I don't think there have been very many incidents where vehicles have crashed through the barrier (as opposed to weaving between half-barriers), so I don't think significant efforts to strengthen the barriers would be justified. We have more substantial Western Region barriers on our (Midland!) crossings, and a car recently demolished both barriers on its way across the crossing and away down the road. Much is made, especially from some of the Daily Mail gibber-merchants, of the big heavy wooden gates that'd stop this sort of thing - not many miles away, at Ulceby, a car crashed through such a gate and into the side of a train, so even they're not effective in that department!

neonison

It was suggested on another forum - one of the posts above mentions it - by someone who seems to know what they're on about (Signalman at Pasture St at a guess?).

I do not disagree with the comments as to the ability of gates / barriers to restrain road vehicles but it would be helpful if OP could have cited the source (say with a link) of the assertion that the car was "pushed from behind".

I can see no reference to it anywhere else such as BTP, Humberside Police or the Grimsby Telegraph websites and wonder what credence it has.

matchmaker

Established Member
Perhaps someone ought to design a barrier that is easily breakable outwards (ie away from the railway) but that is much more difficult to break through in the opposite direction.

They'd have to be bloody sturdy - Britain's two worst (by far) level crossing accidents both involved vehicles crashing through traditional wooden gates.

Boothby97

Established Member
This accident was mentioned on 1pm BBC News, and a spokesman from the RMT said he wants all level crossings removed as soon as possible.

Thanks, Sam

neonison

This accident was mentioned on 1pm BBC News, and a spokesman from the RMT said he wants all level crossings removed as soon as possible.

But that would surely mean the loss of jobs for those still employed as cross-keepers and the like? Bob cannot have got that right.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
They'd have to be bloody sturdy - Britain's two worst (by far) level crossing accidents both involved vehicles crashing through traditional wooden gates.

Rising bollards perhaps?

David

Established Member
I'll ignore the usual RMT rhetoric, and leave others to comment on it. However, 1 thing stands out (to me) ....

UPDATE - suggestions from another forum are that a stationary car was shunted from behind in front of the barriers and train travelling at 60mph.

Apparently, the car may be pushed onto the crossing from behind though.

If there had been an accident which pushed the car through the barriers and onto the crossing, then it would have been a big 1 to generate enough force to send the car through the barrier. Also there would be a lot of wreckage around the crash site itself, something that is notably missing from pictures, barring a little bit around the crossing itself, consistant with what has happened.

My opinion is that the thoery that the car was hit from behind, pushing it onto the railway line is just speculation.

Tomnick

Established Member
But that would surely mean the loss of jobs for those still employed as cross-keepers and the like? Bob cannot have got that right.
Yes, plenty of RMT members in the signalling grades - myself possibly included - would be out of a job if level crossings were abolished in a great rush. I'm not sure how any RMT member would benefit either. Another poorly thought out overreaction from 'brother' Bob I'm afraid...!

IanD

Established Member

If they did that then either the trains would derail or the cars would have a bumpy ride across the track.

Surely he wants them replaced not removed.

Kt

I do think he meant removed, he clearly is very anti-level crossing.

There are for example no LC's on the WCML and that works ok, as there are other ways to get across a railway line i.e. bridges.

Expensive though!

RM-Taylor

The following is the link to the Grimsby Town forum where user cmackenize4 works at the Pasture Street level crossing:

http://thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1365544556/

Yes FOOW very sad news indeed, I am work at the minute at Pasture street, Apparently it happened at 1940hrs, Really feel for the train driver, What i have heared is a car was waiting at the crossing and a car in the rear bumped the car waiting which took the car in front of on coming train, Linespeed is 60mph over Great Coates too,

RIP

Yes mate Half barriers (AHB's) The usual is people going round the barriers, But in this case i am led to believe that is not what happened, It was the Cleethorpes to Scunthorpe train too so would not of been stopping at Great coates so would of been doing 60mph, If it had been the Cleethorpes to Barton train there may have not of been fatalities due the Barton train stopping at Great coates station.

Status
Not open for further replies.