• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Harrow 10/10/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
Person reported to have been struck by a freight at Harrow and Wealdstone station not long ago.

Virgin suspended South of MK - London Midland suspended South of Watford - Southern suspended between Clapham and MK - Watford DC line completely suspended and LUL Bakerloo line suspended North of Stonebridge Park.

Going to be a long afternoon on the WCML South - thoughts with those involved.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Alternate routes via the ECML and for North Wales via Newport being advised.

FCC are saying there has been 2 separate incidents too, any confirmation ?

Trainfan344

Established Member
VT cancelled a lot of trains throughout this afternoon, was this the reason?

al78

Established Member
VT cancelled a lot of trains throughout this afternoon, was this the reason?

Yes. I was caught up in this. I had boarded the 13:00 from London Euston to Manchester when the announcement came through, just a couple of minutes before the scheduled departure. After about 15 minutes we were advised to go to Kings Cross and go up to Leeds and across to Manchester. The train to Leeds was packed out (because everyone heading to NW England was on that train). I did have the novel experience of being allowed to sit in first class for the second half of the Leeds journey, which was the result of something unrelated to the disruption. At Leeds I attempted to catch the 15:55 to Manchester but it was so packed that it was impossible for everyone to board, so I ended up getting the next one at 16:08. When I got to Piccadilly they were still cancelling trains to London, this was at about 17:15. Arrived at my destination a couple of hours later than planned, not a big deal as I'm just on a short break visiting family.

Thinking about it, a major incident like this must make a mess of the network as all the trains on the affected routes are going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wonder how long it takes to get everything back to normal.

Trainfan344

Established Member
One of my friends was caught up in it trying to get from stoke-on-trent to Macclesfield

oversteer

Still messed up at Euston - LM are pretending to run some sort of half hourly service ..

Mr Spock

I must have been lucky then as I caught the 16.33 to Preston which left on time and was only about 10 late at Rugby.

DiscoStu

London Midland suffered particularly badly. For a while there were no LM departures at all shown on the boards at Euston. I sat there for well over an hour waiting for a train to Northampton, and was eventually advised to catch the 16:13 Crewe as far as Rugby and to double back.

As we pulled into Northampton at 17:45, the guard announced that LM were running an emergency timetable with departures to London on the hour and at 30 past the hour.

MK Tom

Established Member
Hmm odd. The LM 16:21 from MKC to Euston let pretty much bang on time and was doing its normal stopping pattern. The 16:19 Virgin service was canceled but the northbound Virgin services all arrived about ten minutes late in that hour, as did the 16:47 LM to Euston.

tsr

Established Member
Further to all this, 1N90 1925 Northampton - Euston failed at 2037 on the Up Slow at Leighton Buzzard. It's still stuck there. This has compounded the issues tonight, with passengers from the stranded train advised to take a train back North to Milton Keynes Ctl and then return towards London Euston from there.

Oh dear... :(

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Further to all this, 1N90 1925 Northampton - Euston failed at 2037 on the Up Slow at Leighton Buzzard. It's still stuck there. This has compounded the issues tonight, with passengers from the stranded train advised to take a train back North to Milton Keynes Ctl and then return towards London Euston from there.

Oh dear... :(

It doesn't rain it pours.

MK Tom

Established Member
Yeah one thing you learn living in MK is that the WCML likes to have all its major issues on the same day.

Ibex

It doesn't rain it pours.

Indeed, not to mention a signalling problem at Northampton at around 17:00 with all platforms occupied and no train crew to take trains out.

The Abbey line was also cancelled for two round trips due to train crew displacement. (No departure after the 15:46 until the 17:21 which was 20 late).

Status
Not open for further replies.