• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incorrect Ticket Encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

[.n]

So I'm now fairly certain this is an actual issue, so just mentioning it in case it affects anyone else adversely.

It would appear that the newer SWT ticket machines (the rubbish blue ones that only allow pre-paid collection and a tiny range of tickets to be sold) are not encoding travelcards correctly.

The weird thing is that they will work train barriers okay (or at least at Waterloo, Victoria and Paddington), but when tried on London Underground (Waterloo, Victoria, Holborn , Paddington and a few other places), it shows as code 11, which I believe is out of date (which is not the case).

Anyway, not a huge bother for me (apart from having to constantly push through tube barriers, as there are no staff to open them at loads of tube stations now), but just in case anyone else has this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

[.n]

Hmm, I must work out how to generate a different code :)

I forgot to mention this is a season ticket so that might change the coding error!

I did discover usefully this morning that I didn't actually need my actual debit card that I used to collect the tickets - must try something more random tomorrow if I remember

bolli

[.n];3075368 said:
I did discover usefully this morning that I didn't actually need my actual debit card that I used to collect the tickets - must try something more random tomorrow if I remember

Some ticketing websites still code the ticket collection with the original card - so it is required still!

Wallsendmag

Established Member
[.n];3074980 said:
So I'm now fairly certain this is an actual issue, so just mentioning it in case it affects anyone else adversely.

It would appear that the newer SWT ticket machines (the rubbish blue ones that only allow pre-paid collection and a tiny range of tickets to be sold) are not encoding travelcards correctly.

The weird thing is that they will work train barriers okay (or at least at Waterloo, Victoria and Paddington), but when tried on London Underground (Waterloo, Victoria, Holborn , Paddington and a few other places), it shows as code 11, which I believe is out of date (which is not the case).

Anyway, not a huge bother for me (apart from having to constantly push through tube barriers, as there are no staff to open them at loads of tube stations now), but just in case anyone else has this problem.

ToDlers is the name you are looking for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
ToDlers is the name you are looking for

They aren't set up the same everywhere on SWT though. My local station has one original S&B and one recent (less than a year) Parkeon machine, the latter being card only but otherwise selling a full range of tickets.

Haywain

Veteran Member
They aren't set up the same everywhere on SWT though. My local station has one original S&B and one recent (less than a year) Parkeon machine, the latter being card only but otherwise selling a full range of tickets.

That isn't a ToDler, it's a Galexio - presumably with a virtual ticket office screen so that you can get remote assistance.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That isn't a ToDler, it's a Galexio - presumably with a virtual ticket office screen so that you can get remote assistance.

Yes it has the assistance screen. Perhaps the earlier poster can define what he means by 'rubbish blue machine' then, seems there are two possibilities?

Iggy12a

Yes it has the assistance screen. Perhaps the earlier poster can define what he means by 'rubbish blue machine' then, seems there are two possibilities?

The new blue machines I have the problems with are the two machines at Portsmouth & Southsea. They allow for ticket collection and sell a very limited range of tickets to what SWT deem to be the most popular destinations. At PMS they have not installed the newest machines with the facility to chat to someone in Basingstoke.

Last week I collected a pre-booked ticket from PMS to Kentish Town via any permitted from a blue machine. The ticket printed fine, showing the Maltese cross. However it failed to open any NR or tube gate for the whole journey, and there are quite a few when travelling via Waterloo and using the tube.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The machine used at Portsmouth & Southsea is a ToDler but in Smart Kiosk configuration (having a limited range of tickets for sale).

The problem experienced is a software issue which does not encode the ticket correctly but this will be resolved, one way or another, in a few weeks.

Last edited:

[.n]

I meant rubbish blue machine without assistance screen - it only allows pre-paid tickets collection, or a very limited amount of pre-determined ticket options.

[.n]

The problem experienced is a software issue which does not encode the ticket correctly but this will be resolved, one way or another, in a few weeks.

Presumably because when First/MTR take over, they'll skip the machines :)

[.n]

Some ticketing websites still code the ticket collection with the original card - so it is required still!

Yes, sorry should have added that this was using the Southern web site to buy (as opposed to my more usual of VTEC and XC)

Iggy12a

The machine used at Portsmouth & Southsea is a ToDler but in Smart Kiosk configuration (having a limited range of tickets for sale).

Encoding has still not been corrected. Yesterday I bought the Super Off Peak Day Travelcard from PMS via TBD; purchased online from South Western and collected from new blue machine at PMS.
It firstly failed to open the barrier at PMS, and then every tube barrier gave me the error code 13. The only gates it did open were at VIC and WAT.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have been told that the error will be "fixed" by rolling back the software on 174 TVMs to a previous software version that did not have the bug, and will be completed by October 17th. As of mid-September 25% of the machines had been rolled back.

Status
Not open for further replies.