• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Information for GTR Southern passengers during strike (no DOO discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
What time exactly was that? It certainly wasn't like that at 15.45 when I passed through.

I think if you can, the advice from me would be to leave work earlier or later.

Speaking to staff in Brighton, they said they had barriers in place this morning but the were not required, so they don't expect them to be needed this evening.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GodAtum

On Moderation
so looks like going via wimbledon is a no go. Even though theres no formal ticket acceptance on GWR, ill hope that the guard sees sense.

infobleep

Veteran Member
so looks like going via wimbledon is a no go. Even though theres no formal ticket acceptance on GWR, ill hope that the guard sees sense.

I haven't seen any official advice either to travel via Wimbledon or to avoid it.
Well that is the route that National Rail Enquiries App suggested when I do a search so that's the route I've been taken and intend to take today.

I don't know at which point the crowds build up in the morning.

I'm hoping everyone wants to go towards East Croydon rather than away from it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
1ab2a01798330a5c2de250fa0a12cc29.jpg

I assume a fault with the system as how could they know the bus is that late?

Incidentally my train was held outside of Gatwick Airport this morning and we were two minutes late leaving there. I thought there's less trains running so how could we be late.

Well it seems they have decided to only use platforms 1 to 4 so we had to be held so a Gatwick Express could cross the cross both the up fast and up slow lines into platform 1!

Using platforms 5 or 6 would avoid such things. It also delayed the North Downs Line service to Reading by 2 minutes. If that doesn't make up the lost time, it could impact at Guildford with the 7.45, which in turn the can affect the 8.02 stopping service from Woking.

Still better that than using platforms 5 and 6 I guess.

So this morning I got out at East Croydon and used the footbridge exit not realising the trams are one way around this part.

Heading to the front I could see no queues. The platforms were quiet to. So my plan of leave earlier worked. My employer offers flexi time so I make use of it in times like this.

Tonight might be interesting as I need to pass through East Croydon station around 5.30. I will be heading south though.

I get to the tram and wait. First tram is to West Croydon. I then suddenly notice a build up of crowds and I'm not in the right place to be near the front of the door queues. I can't board the tram to Wimbledon. Next tram is to West Croydon.

Still a tram to Wimbledon due soon. Then it changes to West Croydon also. An out of service tram in. We are soon told it is going to Wimbledon. We all get on.

Soon another tram to Wimbledon pulls in and departs. Then another pulls in. I hover by the door and when the bleeps go for that tram I jump trams, as opposed to ships.

I've still got to get a train at Wimbledon so I didn't wish to spend any more time at East Croydon or the will . I even had a seat on this tram, as people got off at George Street and they wouldn't have been doing that on the other tram, it starting at East Croydon.

One person got on at one tram and asked people in a louder voice to move down. Apparently she had to let three trams go passed as she couldn't get on.

It seems the people with the problem are those mid route between East Croydon and Wimbledon.

Of course it is after 8am now. If they had left earlier.... Perhaps they couldn't.

I over heard them claim the trams aren't doing enough to help people. I imagine that would be impossible in the current strike period.

So which route did you go in the end?

So at the tram stop before Wimbledon they made everyone get off and walk 5 minutes to Wimbledon. I was expecting Wimbledon to be bad as a result but it wasn't. Perhaps everyone getting off the tram wouldn't have helped.

Now on a delayed train. I left an hour earlier than usual and will get to my destination fine. I could have got their even earlier if I'd worked out the trams better but I did get a seat for nearly all of that journey, so under the circumstances that's a bonus.

It helps that I'm mobile. A wheelchair user, elderly, blind etc. etc. would struggle with all of this.

I got a delayed train from Wimbledon that was further delayed behind a Hampton Court train. Now I assume that came from Dorking previously so was delayed due to passenger number. Who would pay for the delays if delay attribution is or was in force? South West Trains are causing the delay but it's only because Southern aren't running any trains!

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
The Lansdowne Road entrance at East Croydon was still closed after 9am, despite the station being quiet.

A Gatwick Express service (09:20 GTW to 09:50 VIC) passing through the station was almost empty in some carriages. That said, the 09:40 Thameslink departure was no busier than usual and also had plenty of free seats.

Despite only a handful of trains running on the tracks, both trains were delayed! Might they have been deliberately running slowly through intermediate stations to minimise the risk of suicides causing disruption?

GodAtum

On Moderation
In the end I got to east Croydon at 0700, bought a ticket to Guildford via Gatwick (the ticket office man was very confused, he issued me a via Coulsdon South ticket, which may be correct?). There were barriers but no queue. The 0716 had plenty of seats. The 0758 Gatwick - Guildford was busy but I managed to get a seat.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A question...I need to go to Gatwick early on Saturday, leaving Bletchley around 0700. There are two options for this - via London then GatEx, or via Kenny O - within 10 minutes of each other. (National Express coach is also an option, but as that will involve getting up at 5:30am I'd rather avoid it).

Is either likely to be disrupted by knock-on from the strike, which I think runs until 2359 Friday (does it?)

Might a third option of LM to EUS then the Citylink coach from KX be worth considering? How long does that normally take?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
A question...I need to go to Gatwick early on Saturday, leaving Bletchley around 0700. There are two options for this - via London then GatEx, or via Kenny O - within 10 minutes of each other. (National Express coach is also an option, but as that will involve getting up at 5:30am I'd rather avoid it).

Is either likely to be disrupted by knock-on from the strike, which I think runs until 2359 Friday (does it?)

Might a third option of LM to EUS then the Citylink coach from KX be worth considering? How long does that normally take?

I didn't even know there was a Citylink coach from KX to Gatwick !

D1009

Established Member
There isn't according to Traveline. There is however a non stop coach service from Waterloo run by EasyBus. It's a strange timetable with intervals ranging from 15 mins to 1 hour, and journey times varying between 1 hour and 1 hour 25 mins.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

There isn't, I'm being a twit and thinking of Stansted.

There is a Nat Ex from Victoria though I think? (I don't trust easyBus from what I have heard of it).

But anyway...the important question is whether the rail journey is likely to be vaguely reliable or if strike knock-on will make the very early start and use of Nat Ex sensible.

RichardN

Easybus also go from West Brompton to Gatwick, just a couple of minutes from West Brompton station...

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
There isn't, I'm being a twit and thinking of Stansted.

There is a Nat Ex from Victoria though I think? (I don't trust easyBus from what I have heard of it).

But anyway...the important question is whether the rail journey is likely to be vaguely reliable or if strike knock-on will make the very early start and use of Nat Ex sensible.
I reckon Gatwick Express will run. I mean drivers can sign on from 12am and as Gatwick Express runs all night, it should be possible to have trains running by then.

I'm no expert though.

My journey this evening was fine. I again missed the train I'd hoped to catch but his time due to the bus taking longer. It wasn't far off the bus not being worth catching vers fast walking. Tonight I was leaving an hour later but I was still hopeful it was early enough to beat the crowds at Wimbledon. At a period when the journalists wouldn't be interested because it looks like a normal day.

Tonight I boarded the first tram to leave, as opposed to the second and it left not long after the tram time I was aiming for.

Tram busy but I got a seat part way through. Little delayed to East Croydon so I legged it to the platform just in case.

However I had enough time as I miss remembered the departure time. The train I'm on, of which only two run between 5 and 6 from East Croydon, left a minute late. I was so looking forward to it being on time, as that's quiet rare but even on a strike day, every train I've got has left or arrive late. The Thameslink were only minor delays. The biggest delay was South West Trains, due to earlier delays caused by passenger numbers finding alternative routes to London. Those alterative routes didn't seem to be affecting Thameslink. Perhaps the don't travel advice got through to people. South West Trains were warning of issue but not saying don't travel. I'm not saying they should have advised people not to travel. Just stating that might be partly they they were more busy.

I think I was held up tonight by the arriving Bedford train blocking our path. We were on platform 5 and they were using platform 4. Normally we would be using platform 3 but I don't know if it would be an issue further up the line by us using platform 3 and the north bound train using platform 4. I don't know the junction layouts.

Interestingly we are using platform 5 at Gatwick Airport. Given we are using this one, why isn't the Gatwick Express using platforms 6 instead of 1.

My train into Haywards Heath was on time at Balcombe and waited for a time. We got into Haywards Heath a minute late. This on a strike day. This goes to show just how hard it is to stike to a timetable when the trains run.

Interestingly they add in additional stops on the Thameslink train to Brighton, making it all stopping. This was a linked before it left Haywards Heath but not in between East Croydon or Haywards Heath.

Perhaps they felt the hour and 11 minute gap at Wivelsfield was too long. Off peak it would be every 30 minutes.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
BBC said:
The Department for Transport (DfT) said it was not within Mr Grayling's powers to strip Southern of its franchise.

The DfT also said the dispute was between Southern and the unions and "not something the government is involved in".

What a load of ...

radamfi

Established Member
There isn't according to Traveline. There is however a non stop coach service from Waterloo run by EasyBus. It's a strange timetable with intervals ranging from 15 mins to 1 hour, and journey times varying between 1 hour and 1 hour 25 mins.

The Gatwick to Waterloo service was withdrawn a few months ago.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I over heard them claim the trams aren't doing enough to help people. I imagine that would be impossible in the current strike period.

I am not sure what they could have done, given the recent derailment. Don't think Tramlink are awash with spare units and crew atm.

But some people will always find things to moan about I guess. You can't satisfy everyone.

So at the tram stop before Wimbledon they made everyone get off and walk 5 minutes to Wimbledon. I was expecting Wimbledon to be bad as a result but it wasn't. Perhaps everyone getting off the tram wouldn't have helped.

A very sensible measure to prevent overcrowding on the narrow island platform at Wimbledon.

You do have my sympathy though. Sounds like a pretty awful journey.

I got a delayed train from Wimbledon that was further delayed behind a Hampton Court train. Now I assume that came from Dorking previously so was delayed due to passenger number. Who would pay for the delays if delay attribution is or was in force? South West Trains are causing the delay but it's only because Southern aren't running any trains!

SWT will pick up the tab for anything overcrowding-related. If the creeping delay cannot be explained, it will be NR who pick up the bill.

GTR royally screwed SWT (and to a lesser degree some other TOCs) up this time.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I am not sure what they could have done, given the recent derailment. Don't think Tramlink are awash with spare units and crew atm.

But some people will always find things to moan about I guess. You can't satisfy everyone.

A very sensible measure to prevent overcrowding on the narrow island platform at Wimbledon.

You do have my sympathy though. Sounds like a pretty awful journey.

SWT will pick up the tab for anything overcrowding-related. If the creeping delay cannot be explained, it will be NR who pick up the bill.

GTR royally screwed SWT (and to a lesser degree some other TOCs) up this time.
I thought that might be the case with GTR. I guess delay attribution wasn't designed for strikes.

Train outside the peaks on the Southern are very quiet, as are the stations.

I came cross the posting poster at Gatwick Airport. Nice to see other TOCs name checked. They don't do it in over the tannoy that much.

7bc4dc15853a748c7a6a34c0f43bc7be.jpg

infobleep

Veteran Member
9979e47fe482538bd2162e55fa6004d0.jpg

I thought trains could now run DOO to Haywards Heath so why the cancellation throughout? Could they not get a guard to Haywards Heath or simply run the train ECS from Haywards Heath to Brighton? That way serving more customers but the Tarun still reaching Brighton.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see despite Southern claiming server disruption during the overtime ban days, at least I think they have done so, platform 7 at Gatwick is in use.

Clearly they feel enough trains are running to make it useful.

LBSCR Times

9979e47fe482538bd2162e55fa6004d0.jpg

I thought trains could now run DOO to Haywards Heath so why the cancellation throughout? Could they not get a guard to Haywards Heath or simply run the train ECS from Haywards Heath to Brighton? That way serving more customers but the Tarun still reaching Brighton.

35' late start, fast to Brighton where it was 17' late arrival.
Saved time not stopping anywhere but still caused an 8' late start back out with the 09.58 to Victoria.
As it was the 09.58 delayed the 10.05 to Bedford, and we all know what happens when TL services through the core get delayed....

infobleep

Veteran Member
Saved time not stopping anywhere but still caused an 8' late start back out with the 09.58 to Victoria.
As it was the 09.58 delayed the 10.05 to Bedford, and we all know what happens when TL services through the core get delayed....
I thought the whole point of DOO was that it wouldn't need to start late. To Haywards Heath is DOO I believe.

I may not agree with DOO but if it is there and they wish to use it, why not today.

Anyway. Some light relief. The below photo being displayed on the subway departure scene for platform 1.

Platform 1 itself had an older yellow departure screen and it was displaying correctly.

How long could each coach be, in order to fit on the platforms, were they to actually have 20 coaches?

Perhaps it was cancelled due to a shortage of platform space. LOL!

26f97eae061866fa2a63c1a495d5f2c5.jpg

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member

They should have had a time-lapse camera in the cab to update the 'four minutes' film!

Deepgreen

Established Member
I thought the whole point of DOO was that it wouldn't need to start late. To Haywards Heath is DOO I believe.

I may not agree with DOO but if it is there and they wish to use it, why not today.

Anyway. Some light relief. The below photo being displayed on the subway departure scene for platform 1.

Platform 1 itself had an older yellow departure screen and it was displaying correctly.

How long could each coach be, in order to fit on the platforms, were they to actually have 20 coaches?

Perhaps it was cancelled due to a shortage of platform space. LOL!

26f97eae061866fa2a63c1a495d5f2c5.jpg

Only if the train is there to start on time!

bicbasher

Established Member
London Overground have decided to operate the normal 8tph between Sydenham and New Cross Gate tomorrow, assuming that the 12tph on Tues/Weds was overkill.

However they've decided to continue operating extras on the WLL and New Cross branch services have been reinstated.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Only if the train is there to start on time!
Well it said awaiting a guard.

What this dispute has highlighted is how infrequent the Thameslink trains are from Brighton at certain times of the day.

For example. After 15.35 the only Thameslink trains norrh are the 16.02 and 16.35, 17.01, 17.32, 17.35. For some reason I thought they were 4 an hour all day. But 4-4pm there are only 2 and between 5-6, 3.

After 6 it's back to 4 but following 7, just 2 an hour until the close.

It seems some of the paths are taken up by Southern trains.

Wookiee

So, are we anywhere near working out what the mysterious SWT position is on acceptance of tickets during strike disruption???

Orange Box

London Overground have decided to operate the normal 8tph between Sydenham and New Cross Gate tomorrow, assuming that the 12tph on Tues/Weds was overkill.

However they've decided to continue operating extras on the WLL and New Cross branch services have been reinstated.
Nothing to do with overkill. As above kyboshed is much nearer the money than decided...

Last edited:

bicbasher

Established Member
Nothing to do with overkill. As above kyboshed is much nearer the money than decided...

That is surprising, those extras were rammed in the morning peak on Tuesday past Forest Hill and definitely would've beaten capacity compared to a normal New Cross service which seem to transport air.

infobleep

Veteran Member
So, are we anywhere near working out what the mysterious SWT position is on acceptance of tickets during strike disruption???
I suspect they accept then but not publicly admitting it. Either way it is putting pressure on their Dorking services.

Status
Not open for further replies.