• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Information for GTR Southern passengers during strike (no DOO discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
I've heard on Twitter that a driver told a passenger the reasons for the cancellation today was due to the roster department not allocating overtime to the drivers.

https://twitter.com/SamF2904/status/832651276861050880

Surely it would be in GTR's interest to roster OT?

Also to give Southern's twitter staff credit, they did reply to my twitter asking why the cancellations but they didn't know why. I bet they would know the reason were overtime bans in place, although to be fair that would be public knowledge from ASLEF.

That may or may not have been the reason for the WCML route cancellations (I genuinely don't know as I heard very little about those), but I can say that it wasn't the exact reason for the lack of Uckfield services.

As for Twitter staff knowing the ins-and-outs of Norwood driver rostering, probably not...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Me neither, but I'm not expecting them to. (I'm having quite a lot of trouble claiming delay repay with my Oyster season ticket as it is; they seem to reject every claim for spurious and incorrect reasons. The latest farce has run to 3 re-submissions so far). What I have done though on advice of Oyster staff is to email Oyster and ask them for a so-called "product history". You will need this to prove that you've been buying monthlies. I would advise your partner to do the same.

Yes, claiming Delay Repay on Oyster is now very painful and 3 re-submissions is common here too, with almost every claim spuriously rejected multiple times for a different excuse every time. They've even had the cheek to unaward some Delay Repay they already paid!

• It wasn't a strike day (yes it was)
  • £0.00 journeys all day in your Oyster history doesn't prove you had a travelcard loaded (?!)
  • There wasn't a train scheduled at that time (well why did you lay on a Rail Replacement Bus then?)
  • When we said you don't need to upload a copy of the documentation if you've already submitted it before, well that isn't true (and because of our slow reply its no longer available from Oyster online)

I don't know how they are going to police the month refund for Travelcard holders when it comes - what's to stop travelcard holders who don't even travel on GTR from claiming? Will they look at journey history or people's addresses? Are travelcard holders even entitled to this refund at all? Their website seems to willfully skirt around this issue.

Mods, if this spawns into a large conversation, please move the posts to a dedicated Fares section thread.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Only if they have the rolling stock and staff available to create the 12 car formations in the first place I assume.
I'd hope they might hace the rolling stock in place, as they have to stable it somewhere. Unless it's stabled in blocks of 8 of course.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if most of the trains today are running as DOO without OBS, as there is a strike on?

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Does anyone know if most of the trains today are running as DOO without OBS, as there is a strike on?
The answer was on the Southern DOO thread. They are running without one or with managers.

I was at Clapham Junction today and the 17.27 to Three Bridges and Reigate was cancelled. Over the tangy they advice passengers for Three Bridges to catch the Littlehampton train and change at Gatwick Airport. Now I looked this up and found if they did that they wouldn't get into Three Bridges until 18.19, assuming their connection was on time.

However if rely waited for the 17.40 then they would arrive at 18.09. So no changes and 10 minutes faster, assuming train was on time.

I take it when issues like this arise there isn't time to look up some information before giving out platform announcements. I don't know for long in advance the train was cancelled.

infobleep

Veteran Member
According to the Evening Standard print edition, Southern said they hoped to run 75% of their services. That's the best figure yet. It means only 25% are not running.

Thats a jump from the 61% that were running on RMT strike days before 1st January.

The 25% not running covered all 10 Southern routes according to Southern and that included the Brighton mainline and Gatwick Express.

So Gatwick Express is a Southern service but Thameslink and Great Northern are not for the purposes of issuing statements relating to RMT strikes. I'll say no more.

Last edited:

James Wake

The answer was on the Southern DOO thread. They are running without one or with managers.

I was at Clapham Junction today and the 17.27 to Three Bridges and Reigate was cancelled. Over the tangy they advice passengers for Three Bridges to catch the Littlehampton train and change at Gatwick Airport. Now I looked this up and found if they did that they wouldn't get into Three Bridges until 18.19, assuming their connection was on time.

However if rely waited for the 17.40 then they would arrive at 18.09. So no changes and 10 minutes faster, assuming train was on time.

I take it when issues like this arise there isn't time to look up some information before giving out platform announcements. I don't know for long in advance the train was cancelled.

Mistakes can happen, but I agree in this instance that of course they should have been told to wait for the 1740 (1J90).

The staff sometimes direct people for Gatwick Airport onto the slower services as well, eg if they have just missed the 1724 Littlehampton, the 1727 comes in, but if they get the 1733 Eastbourne/Ore they can get there 12 minutes faster.

I have heard many incorrect information announcements at Clapham Junction, but luckily can check everything myself on RealTime Trains and OpenTrain Times for the signalling information.

My journey yesterday during the strike was a miracle, on time both ways on both Southern and SWT! 0647 from Three Bridges left at 0649 but arrived at Clapham Junction on time at 0725, both my South Wests to and from Twickenham were on time, then the 1642 Southampton/Bognor (I travelled in front portion) to Crawley was right on time, even slightly early arriving at Crawley.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Due to high winds Thameslink services to London Bridge from Brighton are currently cancelled.

Due to overhead wire problems at St Albans, Thameslink services to Bedford from Brighton are now cancelled. Same for Three Bridges.

Wouls it not be possible to divert some of the Bedford services to London Bridge? I assume they cancelled the London Bridge ones due to speed restrictions and needing less trains to run. Given no trains seem to be running to Bedford, there are less trains running.

I'm sure it's not as simple as that on the ground though.

Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
im very confused about the compensation. I have monthly tickets going back a few years, so do i just need to scan the April 2016 - Dec 2016 ones? According to their website, i will get the value of 1 month for each monthly ticket? But if I bought an annual, id only get 1/12?

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Due to high winds Thameslink services to London Bridge from Brighton are currently cancelled.

Due to overhead wire problems at St Albans, Thameslink services to Bedford from Brighton are now cancelled. Same for Three Bridges.

Wouls it not be possible to divert some of the Bedford services to London Bridge? I assume they cancelled the London Bridge ones due to speed restrictions and needing less trains to run. Given no trains seem to be running to Bedford, there are less trains running.

I'm sure it's not as simple as that on the ground though.

An utter dog's dinner at Blackfriars - no train information on any screens, just a blanket and unhelpful message about disruption. 1622 to Brighton started from there, as two 319s - no on-board information until Herne Hill, when it was announced (on-board recorded p.a.) as next stop Haywards Heath - at least two passengers leapt off needlessly, as it was actually stopping at Tulse Hill, East Croydon, Redhill, Gatwick Airport and so on! At Tulse Hill it was announced as next stop Wivelsfield!

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
im very confused about the compensation. I have monthly tickets going back a few years, so do i just need to scan the April 2016 - Dec 2016 ones? According to their website, i will get the value of 1 month for each monthly ticket? But if I bought an annual, id only get 1/12?

In terms of proportions, they are the same thing, surely (given the saving associated with buying an annual over monthlies)? I don't think it's at all confusing (unusually for GTR's information!) - the compensation only applies to the time period specified, so excludes all your historical tickets prior to 2016. See extract from Southern's site below:

"Eligibility

To qualify, customers must have held at least 12 weeks’ worth of season tickets between 1 April and 31 December 2016."

SA_900

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Still no contact from Southern concerning my annual season refund - they claim that where there may have been small changes in address (e.g. postcodes) they "cannot take the risk" of automatic refund processing. This does not apply to me - so why no contact? I have resorted to the on-line claim process.

GodAtum

On Moderation
In terms of proportions, they are the same thing, surely (given the saving associated with buying an annual over monthlies)? I don't think it's at all confusing (unusually for GTR's information!) - the compensation only applies to the time period specified, so excludes all your historical tickets prior to 2016. See extract from Southern's site below:

"Eligibility

To qualify, customers must have held at least 12 weeks’ worth of season tickets between 1 April and 31 December 2016."

But if I have 12 x 1 month ticket, I'd get paid the full amount for each of my monthlies from April to December. But if I'd bought a yearly, I'd only get paid 1/12.

Brighton to London zone 1-6 annual (£5,340) / 12 = £437
Brighton to London zone 1-6 monthly (£512.70) * 9 = £4614.3

Last edited:

Chrisgr31

Established Member
If you bought monthlies you'll get the full price of one monthly back £512 whilst someone who had an annual will get £437, but thats fine as they paid less per month in the first place.

I'll be interested to see what I get, as I had an annual, but cashed it in in September so effectively it was converted in to a monthly so I should get the higher amount.

GodAtum

On Moderation
If you bought monthlies you'll get the full price of one monthly back £512 whilst someone who had an annual will get £437, but thats fine as they paid less per month in the first place.

I'll be interested to see what I get, as I had an annual, but cashed it in in September so effectively it was converted in to a monthly so I should get the higher amount.

So if I have 9 monthlies, I get all 9 months, or only 1?

infobleep

Veteran Member
The conductors strike has not affected me today but a lack of train drivers has!

I was due to catch the 17.44 tonight from Haywards Heath to Gatwick Airport. However due to a shortage of drivers it is now going to be 20 minutes late and not stopping at Gatwick Airport, East Croydon and Clapham Junction. Of course that was not known before the 17.22 to Bedford had left.

It's not the only train I've seen cancelled today due to shortage of drivers.

At least the 17.49 to London Bridge is on time... at the moment. I spoke to soon, suddenly a 2 minute delay. Looks like I'll miss my connection. Oh well nothing wrong with that, as it wasn't caused by the unions. <D

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Lovely, the Thameslink train I was on terminated short at Gatwick Airport due to signalling problems around East Croydon way. Now on another train.

I know signalling problems do occur from time to time, just unfortunate that they terminated short the train that people were told to catch, due to a lack of drivers delaying the other service.

They have decided not to cancel that one though and it's still running non stop to Victoria.

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
Another strike day, and another coincidental failure of Network Rail infrastructure at a key location (East Croydon), in the evening peak.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Another strike day, and another coincidental failure of Network Rail infrastructure at a key location (East Croydon), in the evening peak.
The signalling fault that was fixed has reoccurred. I've managed to get passed it finally.

Southern Tweeter staff say Southern are running 90% of their train services today.

I wonder what additional percentage were cancelled due to not employing enough drivers. I noticed about 4 cancelled from Haywards Heath alone. I can't remember if they were all Southern. Some might have been Thameslink. However they don't employ enough staff either.

tsr

Established Member

This (well, yesterday) evening's issue at East Croydon was down to the effects of a recurring track circuit failure caused by numerous Network Rail permanent way component faults, exacerbated by confusion and delays with taking line blocks. Hardly the best advertisement for them, but sadly all completely genuine.

gray1404

Established Member
I was surprised when I travelled with Southern yesterday mid morning just how many of their trains were running on the Brighton Mainline and West Coastway routes with on board supervisors present. I would have thought that the majority of them would have been part of the RMT strike.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
I was surprised when I travelled with Southern yesterday mid morning just how many of their trains were running on the Brighton Mainline and West Coastway routes with on board supervisors present. I would have thought that the majority of them would have been part of the RMT strike.

Its guards who have been balloted to strike not the OBS grade isnt it?

Deepgreen

Established Member
This (well, yesterday) evening's issue at East Croydon was down to the effects of a recurring track circuit failure caused by numerous Network Rail permanent way component faults, exacerbated by confusion and delays with taking line blocks. Hardly the best advertisement for them, but sadly all completely genuine.

Indeed - my TL run from Blackfriars (1W47) was heavily delayed from Norwood Junction onwards. Once we cleared the East Croydon area, however, I was perplexed at several further minutes' delay at Stoats Nest when nothing else was ahead of us on the Redhill line and nothing passed in the up direction that would have prevented us using the junction.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
So tonight I'm at Clapham Junction and I let an East Grinstead train go, unaware, as I'd just arrived, that the 19.38 to Bognor Regius was delayed.

I soon saw it on the board. It was 19.31 when I arrived. At 19.45, there was finally an announcement about the delayed train. So 14 minutes of tannoy silence on the matter.

I even saw the train heading north that would form the service South.

When announcing the train they mean to one's the late running Horsham service. Surely after that, that one was cancelled. The automated announcements played very swiftly and twice.

Not sure why no automated announcements couldn't play about the trains being delayed. I know South West Trains often play such announcements.

The Bognor Regius train got delayed on route, having left Bognor on time. Despite a 12 minute delay at Gatwick Airport, they still ran it via Redhill. It then ended up following a stopping London Bridge service, causing it to be 19 minutes late by the time it reached East Croydon.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
It seems the Horsham train isn't canceled. It just ran 19 minutes late. Perhaps they reinstated it very quickly after cancelling it.

Deepgreen

Established Member
So tonight I'm at Clapham Junction and I let an East Grinstead train go, unaware, as I'd just arrived, that the 19.38 to Bognor Regius was delayed.

I soon saw it on the board. It was 19.31 when I arrived. At 19.45, there was finally an announcement about the delayed train. So 14 minutes of tannoy silence on the matter.

I even saw the train heading north that would form the service South.

When announcing the train they mean to one's the Kate running Horsham service. Surely after that, that one was cancelled. The automated announcements played very swiftly and twice.

Not sure why no automated announcements couldn't play about the trains being delayed. I know South West Trains often play such announcements.

The Bognor Regius train got delayed on route, having left Bognor on time. Despite a 12 minute delay at Gatwick Airport, they still ran it via Redhill. It then ended up following a stopping London Bridge service, causing it to be 19 minutes late by the time it reached East Croydon.

No; no idea what this means!

Status
Not open for further replies.