• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inside Transpennine Express (Channel 5 Documentary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy

Established Member
I noticed that, they were suggesting that the 185s are ancient knackered old trains, when in reality in rail terms they are practically brand new
They had a refurbishment a couple years ago as well, they aren't even halfway through their life and are younger than all of Northern's apart from the civitys

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
It was OK but very comparable with similar programs. Lots of passengers complaining,lots of staff apologising and managers stressing safety. At least the guards are getting a look in on this show!

SuperNova

They had a refurbishment a couple years ago as well, they aren't even halfway through their life and are younger than all of Northern's apart from the civitys

It shapes the story of the programme - finishing with the new trains launch. Have to remember, these programmes are made for entertainment purposes. Apparently Over a million watched.

Seehof

Any branding that is “blanked out” is because they do not have the permission of that company to actually film their product - in this case Northern’s derailed train!

py_megapixel

Established Member
I made a few observations about the first episode
  • "...will have to make do with 15-year-old locos" in reference to a 185, which practically feel brand new now thanks to their refurbishment, not to mention being an MU not a loco..!
  • They blurred out the logos on a derailed Northern 323 at Ardwick depot! That was a good laugh
  • It's very similar to almost every similar programme of the same nature, and the generic name "The Railway 24/7" doesn't help. "Inside Transpennine Express" would have been much better
But other than that it was enjoyable to watch.

SuperNova

• "...will have to make do with 15-year-old locos" in reference to a 185, which practically feel brand new now thanks to their refurbishment, not to mention being an MU not a loco..!
  • They blurred out the logos on a derailed Northern 323 at Ardwick depot! That was a good laugh
  • It's very similar to almost every similar programme of the same nature, and the generic name "The Railway 24/7" doesn't help. "Inside Transpennine Express" would have been much better

I spoke with a colleague who said it had been viewed before for inaccuracies and they had gone back to the production company about the loco thing - seems they didn't amend.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
  • the generic name "The Railway 24/7" doesn't help. "Inside Transpennine Express" would have been much better
That’s what they will call it in 6 months when it turns up again as a new series!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next week (Channel 5, Wednesday 24th June 2020, 9.00 p.m.) "The Railway 24/7" looks at the launch of TransPennine Express's penalty fare scheme, and what happens when an abandoned rucksack causes a bomb alert.

Episode three of six.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Hmm... might see revenue officer mark making his TV debut then. Cameras were chasing him and his protégés for a few days.

Fokx

Hmm... might see revenue officer mark making his TV debut then. Cameras were chasing him and his protégés for a few days.
There was also planned to be an episode focusing largely on trainees, training managers and the L&D department but it was one of the two cut from the series due to constraints on filming after ‘lockdown’.

I believe the original idea would have seen the training process from first week, to minding, to being out on the network doing the job competently.

Butts

Veteran Member
There was also planned to be an episode focusing largely on trainees, training managers and the L&D department but it was one of the two cut from the series due to constraints on filming after ‘lockdown’.

I believe the original idea would have seen the training process from first week, to minding, to being out on the network doing the job competently.

Interesting, any idea what the other cut episode would have featured - their wonderful 1st Class Complimentary Offering ? :E

Fokx

Interesting, any idea what the other cut episode would have featured - their wonderful 1st Class Complimentary Offering ? :E

Sadly I’m not sure, but In regards to first class catering, this is being looked at, particularly with the 802 kitchen galley. TPE were aiming to trail an on-demand catering service where you can order hot food and sandwiches using your phone and the host will deliver it at-seat (for both first and standard).

Butts

Veteran Member
Sadly I’m not sure, but In regards to first class catering, this is being looked at, particularly with the 802 kitchen galley. TPE were aiming to trail an on-demand catering service where you can order hot food and sandwiches using your phone and the host will deliver it at-seat (for both first and standard).

Will it be free in First ?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member

Needs more than one member of catering staff then, can’t expect the train manager to do it when they are busy keeping on top of tickets and toilet doors that keep jamming...

CW2

Established Member
One thing that does bug me in many of these railway documentary programmes is the use of incorrect / inappropriate sound effects dubbed on after the event. It seems no train can pass by at speed without sounding like a diesel powered HST. Only a small thing, but it does spoil an otherwise entertaining programme.

midland1

you mean like a GWR steam loco with a US style whistle dubbed on, I have seen that sort of thing :'(.

matthew123

Although there isn’t an episode dedicated to trainees, there is still an episode with some form of trainee stuff in. Episode 5 will see (me) trainee driver go through training to passing out.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Was I imagining it or did I see a brief clip in tonight's episode of a TPE unit apparently wrong line working, but more likely the footage had been reversed and shown back to front?

2L70

On Moderation
Is there such a turnover of staff at TPE that a guard with 3 years experience becomes a coach?

Fokx

Is there such a turnover of staff at TPE that a guard with 3 years experience becomes a coach?
It’s not about turnover or years of experience it’s about having the right approach to the job role, and someone who acts exactly how the company wants from its future employees. You could have all the years experience in the world but if you don’t embody the right attitude or company values would TPE really want their new employees to follow in their example?

Mandy who is a conductor instructor came off very well in tonight’s episode in my option. It’s bad enough to be followed around by a camera crew but to be filmed calmly moving passengers away, going near a suspect package and removing it, to calling the IC and then having the customer air his grievance later on at Huddersfield and not once getting agitated, stressed or showing visible concern shows EXACTLY why she’s training others to follow in her example

Fokx

Was I imagining it or did I see a brief clip in tonight's episode of a TPE unit apparently wrong line working, but more likely the footage had been reversed and shown back to front?
Footage was reversed (red taillights were leading)

Last edited:

2L70

On Moderation
It’s not about turnover or years of experience it’s about having the right approach to the job role, and someone who acts exactly how the company wants from its future employees. You could have all the years experience in the world but if you don’t embody the right attitude or company values would TPE really want their new employees to follow in their example?

So it’s all about image then? I presume Mandy is a Piccadilly Guard, working stoppers.

Surprised Control let them have 2 mins to leave the bag at Marsden, normally the OBSMs would be on to the Traincrew for passing the parcel of delays...

Fokx

So it’s all about image then? I presume Mandy is a Piccadilly Guard, working stoppers.

It’s a mix of attitude and having the correct non-technical skill set I would say rather than image. The right sort of person in the right sort of role.

(In my previous management role in a retail environment, I worked alongside someone older who had been doing the job for several years, whereas I was fairly new to the role and in the end it was myself who was received a pay increase and promotion as the other manager had become complacent and didn’t display values the company wanted to bestow on their new employees during their probation.)

It’s either a two minute delay or a potential uncontrolled explosion, I know which one the IC is going to prefer...

Andyh82

Established Member
I wonder how many times they are going to show us how they change the wheel sets. Two weeks running now.

2L70

On Moderation
It’s a mix of attitude and having the correct non-technical skill set I would say rather than image. The right sort of person in the right sort of role.

(In my previous management role in a retail environment, I worked alongside someone older who had been doing the job for several years, whereas I was fairly new to the role and in the end it was myself who was received a pay increase and promotion as the other manager had become complacent and didn’t display values the company wanted to bestow on their new employees during their probation.)

So you’re management grade, fair enough. We had another on here who tried to deny he was one, and got very angry when past situations were Detailed on this board...

Fokx

So you’re management grade, fair enough. We had another on here who tried to deny he was one, and got very angry when past situations were Detailed on this board...

I’m no longer in a management grade position as retail doesn’t have the best working conditions or pay nearly as well as the railway! :)

But anyway back to the topic in hand...

2L70

On Moderation
I’m no longer in a management grade position as retail doesn’t have the best working conditions or pay nearly as well as the railway!

But anyway back to the topic in hand... :)

You’re secure at least. Their local managers don’t see to have much of a lifespan, The Picc Guards Manager has been there nearly 13 years I believe? Unheard of. Most get moved on about once a year..

Status
Not open for further replies.