• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inspector Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadge

I was at Marylebone this morning and an announcement kept being played asking for inspector sands to go to platform 21. I know this is a call for the police and platform 21 is code for a location but I was wondering where on the station "platform 21" is and if other stations have specific inspector sands codes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mirodo

I've been in St Pancras when they've announced a system test, which should be ignored by anyone listening. They then put a call out over the PA for Inspector Sands - in English and then French!

steamybrian

Established Member
I was at Marylebone this morning and an announcement kept being played asking for inspector sands to go to platform 21. I know this is a call for the police and platform 21 is code for a location but I was wondering where on the station "platform 21" is and if other stations have specific inspector sands codes?

It is coded security announcement. The code for the non-existant platform 21is for a location known only to staff.
The true meaning of these messages should be kept confidential.
I have heard the "Inspector Sands" announcement at London Bridge

HH

Established Member
Inspector Sands is usually used for Fire Alerts AFAIK. At least it is at Liverpool St.

jon0844

Veteran Member
King's Cross today seemed to be doing nothing but warning people not to buy tickets from touts.
I presume a tout was seen by people in the control room and the automated message was manually repeated to stop them.

But if you're going to ask someone to go to a platform, surely it is better to ensure the platform exists? Otherwise it's a bit (more) obvious (than it already is).

I often joke with the wife when an announcement goes out in Tesco for a member of staff to attend to the checkout that there's a bomb scare in aisle nn. I'm sure she always finds it funny but is too tired to laugh. :p

NathanPrior

Heard it once at Charing Cross when a group of teenagers were smoking in the toilets, surely they could of just gone outside the station, idiots

34D

Established Member
It is coded security announcement. The code for the non-existant platform 21is for a location known only to staff.
The true meaning of these messages should be kept confidential.
I have heard the "Inspector Sands" announcement at London Bridge

I agree. Then again, terms such as Mr Green/Inspector Sands have become common knowledge through internet etc.

tsr

Established Member
I've heard this (or another of a variety of coded messages) about five times in the past week on the LU. On the occasion of a recurring "Inspector Sands" message at Warren Street station last week, during which it appeared to be broadcasting itself to most of the top of Tottenham Court Road (the road, not the station) as well, a couple of members of staff confirmed to me that it was an accidental fire alarm message caused by a "slightly too hot piece of equipment that has been checked" and that it was "nothing to worry about".

An "Inspector Sands" message generally seems to indicate that a fire alarm or a heat/smoke detector has been activated in one isolated area of the station - it appears to me that it is more likely to be broadcast if the alarm/detector concerned is NOT in a public area.

Think it was at Liverpool Airport last year. They were announcing "Would Sargeant Pepper......"

deltic1989

Established Member
158801:1226549 said:
Think it was at Liverpool Airport last year. They were announcing "Would Sargeant Pepper......"
And his lonely hearts club band, please report to the runway???

Ivo

Established Member
So what would happen if a real Inspector Sands was actually required to report to a specific location?

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I have heard it at London Bridge before aswell, like everyone says else it's to warn about a fire without causing a mass panic

theblackwatch

Established Member
Inspector Sands was required at Leeds when 55022 was smoking out the station during the set-down of a Spitfire tour a year or two back! :lol:

12CSVT

Established Member
The announcements can be heard at many stations during routine fire alarm tests (as required by law).

HH

Established Member
The announcements can be heard at many stations during routine fire alarm tests (as required by law).
While this may be true, the announcement goes out any time there is a fire alarm triggered, wherever it is on the station. Mostly those are in retail units.

When I hear a message to Inspector Sands I high-tail it to my train as fast as possible.

Brownie points to the first person to say correctly why I do this.

tsr

Established Member
When I hear a message to Inspector Sands I high-tail it to my train as fast as possible.

Brownie points to the first person to say correctly why I do this.

The number one reason should be because your train is about to leave and you want to make it - since there is no evacuation message being played, there is no reason to be anything other than vigilant to any signs of danger in the vicinity.

The number two reason should be because your train is likely to be a safer place than a stampede at a fire exit if an evacuation does commence - your train is essentially a fire-resistant shell that can also move you out of danger (as and when possible).

HH

Established Member
The number two reason should be because your train is likely to be a safer place than a stampede at a fire exit if an evacuation does commence - your train is essentially a fire-resistant shell that can also move you out of danger (as and when possible).
Almost right. Safety should dictate that, if there is a fire, trains will leave the station as quickly as possible, even if they are not due to leave. You do not de-train passengers into a burning station...

tsr

Established Member
Almost right. Safety should dictate that, if there is a fire, trains will leave the station as quickly as possible, even if they are not due to leave. You do not de-train passengers into a burning station...

As I say, the station will be evacuated if this is deemed necessary due to an immediate hazard, but an activated fire alarm call point and the subsequent playing of an Inspector Sands message does NOT mean that there is a hazard that could cause an evacuation. Therefore, one should not instantly assume it is unsafe to get off a train, that one should leave the station or that one should start grabbing fire extinguishers from the walls. The evacuation message is a subsequent one and one that has to be carefully but quickly considered by controlling staff. It will be played if necessary, and then you and any trains should leave. Until then, stay put but by all means be vigilant!

On the other hand, if you feel that it would be unwise to enter a station where you have no immediate business to attend to, and where an Inspector Sands message is playing, by all means do not enter if you do not deem this necessary, as you may well save yourself a needless evacuation.

Yew

Established Member
I think at tesco we used MR robinson for security, although I only ever saw it once when working there

In Tesco's yesterday morning they made the following announcement

"Would Mandy Hackett please go to the sacking area"

Obviously this means something tot he Tesco staff - to me I thought the poor wee lassie was about to get her P45 :)

HH

Established Member
As I say, the station will be evacuated if this is deemed necessary due to an immediate hazard, but an activated fire alarm call point and the subsequent playing of an Inspector Sands message does NOT mean that there is a hazard that could cause an evacuation. Therefore, one should not instantly assume it is unsafe to get off a train, that one should leave the station or that one should start grabbing fire extinguishers from the walls. The evacuation message is a subsequent one and one that has to be carefully but quickly considered by controlling staff. It will be played if necessary, and then you and any trains should leave. Until then, stay put but by all means be vigilant!

On the other hand, if you feel that it would be unwise to enter a station where you have no immediate business to attend to, and where an Inspector Sands message is playing, by all means do not enter if you do not deem this necessary, as you may well save yourself a needless evacuation.
Yes, but you are missing the wily commuter part. If there is a small fire, the station will get evacuated, the trains leave, and you will be hours late getting home...

A-driver

Established Member
These announcements are now pretty much common knowledge as fire alerts etc but they arnt designed to be secret really. Just to avoid panick. Even if people know what they mean its still far better than broadcasting 'fire alarm activated on platform 3' and then watching the stampede as possibly hundreds of panicked commuters try and run away. Words like fire, bomb etc in crowded areas like transport hubs have to be used very carefully as they will generally lead to mass panic.

tsr

Established Member
Yes, but you are missing the wily commuter part. If there is a small fire, the station will get evacuated, the trains leave, and you will be hours late getting home...

The fact that my commute has (at several geographical points, at least) up to half a dozen or so easy potential diversion options is probably besides the point here, but does illustrate why I don't think like that...

jon0844

Veteran Member
its still far better than broadcasting 'fire alarm activated on platform 3' and then watching the stampede as possibly hundreds of panicked commuters try and run away.

I run for the hills every time I have to listen to Atos Anne say anything.

I'm certain they're all coded messages.

"Would passengers intending to travel please board the train now as it is ready to leave" actually means "We've sold Network Rail this crappy passenger information system and discontinued the development of the software. Hahaha!"

barrykas

Established Member

Rather sweeping generalisation there...And also one that wouldn't apply at most commuter terminals I suspect, due to the very nature of the way the diagrams are worked meaning that the trains aren't generally "ready to depart" much more than five minutes before booked time.

Each station should have an evacuation plan detailing what to do in the event of needing to detrain passengers during an evacuation.

And if the controlling signalbox is co-located with the station, such as at Marylebone, Liverpool Street and Kings Cross, I'd expect the 'box to be evacuated along with everyone else, so you'd get no more train movements in the controlled area until such time as the signallers were back in place.

causton

Established Member
I think quite a lot of business with customer-facing parts have code words, don't they? In the two retail shops I've worked in (both for the same company) we have universal code words issued by the company, which IME are ignored and replaced with other ones, as I'm sure the hardened criminals would know the code words by now if they hear them too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.