• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Install Windows Updates, Immediately!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Hale

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4782811.stm

As the title says, US Homeland Security is urging you to install them immediately.

Quote WWW.BBC.CO.UK. Copyright BBC 2006 - All rights reserved.
The US Department of Homeland Security has urged Windows users to install the latest patches from Microsoft as quickly as possible. In particular it warned about one bug fixed in the latest batch of security updates that, if exploited, could put a PC under the control of an attacker.
Microsoft's recent update fixed 23 flaws found in Windows software.
Many of these bugs are known to malicious hackers and some are already actively exploited on the net.
Fast fix
Microsoft typically issues security updates for Windows and its associated programs on the second Tuesday of every month. In the August update, seven of the fixes were rated as "critical" - the highest rating.
The DHS was most concerned about the flaw identified in the MS06-040 security report. This identified a problem with the Windows server service that allows attackers to take over machines without users doing anything to help.
A worm written to exploit this bug "could enable an attacker to remotely take control of an affected system and install programs, view, change, or delete data, and create new accounts with full user rights," said the DHS in a statement. As well as overseeing efforts to combat terrorism the DHS also has a role in cybersecurity.
It said it expected the bug to be exploited within 24 hours of its existence becoming known.
Microsoft reported via its security blog that it had already seen a "limited" attack using this bug. It also said that there had been more than 100 million downloads of the MS06-040 fix since it was made available.
The server service bug is found in Windows 2000, XP and Windows Server 2003.
The vulnerabilities fixed by other patches are found in a variety of Windows programs including the Office software suite and the Internet Explorer browser.
One bug being patched is found in Microsoft's PowerPoint presentation software and an exploit code is known to be circulating online. Security experts said 11 other flaws were known to malicious hacking groups.
Users can get hold of the fixes via the Windows Update site or by using the update tool on Windows.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Hale

Exactly, I update as soon as they come out, but I know some members on here who say this 'they make your PC crash, or they install viruses onto your computer' when ACTUALLY its the other way around! Microsoft release fixes for a reason, either to find out who has pirated software or to fix major problems, the people who do not like to update Windows are more than likely running on a pirated version of XP.

Gareth Hale

Anyway, don't try changing the nature of this convo David, this is a serious matter and BBC, Homeland Security, Microsoft are urging you to update immediately.

Dave A

See, I'm not really interested. Firstly, its Micro****e, your always at risk. Secondly, Micro****e seemed to have caused the problem anyway. And finally, US Homeland Security!! Lets just say that if yesterday had been the US, thousands would be dead by now... :(

Guinness

Established Member
There are 100's of other exploits in Windows that allow a similar hacking to the one in that article. This one is headline news because a department with the words "US" and "Security" backs the update so it must be serious..........

The Gricer

Chaz said:
There are 100's of other exploits in Windows that allow a similar hacking to the one in that article. This one is headline news because a department with the words "US" and "Security" backs the update so it must be serious.
Yeah, it's hardly a new phenomena is it? There have always been these type of threats and there probably will be for some time to come, such is the open nature of the internet. (And before anyone starts the old "it's all Microsoft's fault" argument I would say that whatever you think of MS any company that had such a 'lead' over others would be attacked in just the same way).

Frank

Gareth Hale

David V2 said:
See, I'm not really interested. Firstly, its Micro****e, your always at risk. Secondly, Micro****e seemed to have caused the problem anyway. And finally, US Homeland Security!! Lets just say that if yesterday had been the US, thousands would be dead by now... :(

Homeland Security is in the UK aswell, Named TSA!

Craig

Established Member
Any half decent router with a built in firewall will block a lot of threats from getting anywhere near your PC.

If I decide to update Windows it'll be when I deem it to be necessary, not when someone tells me to.

As Chaz and Frank have said there are loads of these threats all the time. Taking a few simple precautions is much better than rushing to update Windows every time Microsoft release a new fix.

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Homeland Security is in the UK aswell, Named TSA!

Doesn't sound as cool as 'US Homeland Security'. Why can't we have KillerSquad, Team Kill or WinXP Bummers and not TSA.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Craig said:
Any half decent router with a built in firewall will block a lot of threats from getting anywhere near your PC.

If I decide to update Windows it'll be when I deem it to be necessary, not when someone tells me to.

As Chaz and Frank have said there are loads of these threats all the time. Taking a few simple precautions is much better than rushing to update Windows every time Microsoft release a new fix.
Yep, good advice there.

To be honest, we may as well have a notice saying "Update Windows regularly" rather than every few days have a new topic saying "Update windows now"!

It's a bit like viruses and virus warnings really.

Tom B

Established Member
I imagine people like Craig - updating only occasionally but taking precautions - are much more secure than people who update daily and think they can do what they like because of it.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I'm not gonna update, they'll find out I've got a pirate copy of windows and wont let me download anything from their site after that matey. Protection of interests is what it's all about!

I've got a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware, so I'm happy without updates.

*edit*

Chaz said:
The USA has AIR also, a lot of the world has AIR.

You ster-oopid boy! Everybody knows Air is at Alton Towers. 8-)

Nick W

Established Member
On Apple's mac os systems, the remote services are disabled by default.

Why is there no way to turn off the remote services in windows which are useful for Yorkie but not for home users?

Gareth Hale

yorkie said:
Yep, good advice there.

To be honest, we may as well have a notice saying "Update Windows regularly" rather than every few days have a new topic saying "Update windows now"!

It's a bit like viruses and virus warnings really.
How does a patch which keeps your PC a little bit more secure sound like hey, lets get a virus?, Windows gets updated every month on the Second Tuesday. Next update for Windows XP will be 14th September 2006!
[EDIT]
Jamie said:
I'm not gonna update, they'll find out I've got a pirate copy of windows and wont let me download anything from their site after that matey. Protection of interests is what it's all about!

I've got a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware, so I'm happy without updates.

*edit*

You ster-oopid boy! Everybody knows Air is at Alton Towers. 8-)
So you have just come online and told everybody you own a pirated version of Windows, oh how professional are you?
[EDIT]
ikar said:
No F***ing US "Homeland Security" will tell me what to do bugger off and Secure the US.

Maybe not so, but you know, they do work together with the UK so you never know.... If the Priminister and President can get a long, why the f**k can you and sombody you have never even met not get along? Are you scared of the police men with guns who shoot you if you step out of your car when you get puleld over?

People who are afraid to update Windows are running pirated software. There is no other reason for not updating it really, 2 minute download, 1 minute installed, thats not a lot to ask each month is it?

David

Established Member
I see Gareth Hale's sarcasm detector is broken again.....

Personally, like other members, I'll update windows when I want, not when some American government official tells me to.

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
So you have just come online and told everybody you own a pirated version of Windows, oh how professional are you?

Professional of what?

Ben

What does Jamie need to be Professional for? As far as I can see your Comment makes no sense - Pretty much like every other Post of yours.
[EDIT]
60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster said:
I see Gareth Hale's sarcasm detector is broken again.....

Personally, like other members, I'll update windows when I want, not when some American government official tells me to.
How can it be broken if it never existed?

Craig

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
How does a patch which keeps your PC a little bit more secure sound like hey, lets get a virus?, Windows gets updated every month on the Second Tuesday. Next update for Windows XP will be 14th September 2006!
It doesn't. But it's the same as people who start flapping everytime there's a new virus developed. As I' said earlier, just taking a few precautions is much safer than patching as threats are discovered.

Gareth Hale said:
People who are afraid to update Windows are running pirated software. There is no other reason for not updating it really
I'm not afraid to update Windows, it's just not needed due to the other security measures that I have in place. I didn't say that I don't update, I said I do it when I choose to not when someone else decides for me.

Gareth Hale

On May 5, 2006, InformationWeek reported that "Microsoft is piloting an opt-in notification service for its Windows Genuine Advantage online verification program., which may make it mandatory for users to get Automatic Update or Windows Update Rights," in its article titled, "Microsoft: Users May Have To Prove Legal Windows Use." Microsoft's KB905474 WGA Notification update was presented to users in April, 2006. It nags users to get legitimate if their Windows is detected as not being genuine. This notification module is installed automatically along with other Automatic Updates if the setting to always install updates is chosen- the opt-in process is no more or less extensive than that for other automatic updates.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Luckily I've been checking what I've been installing and so far have managed to avoid installing the un-uninstallable Genuine Advantage on my home PC.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mojo said:
Luckily I've been checking what I've been installing and so far have managed to avoid installing the un-installable Genuine Advantage on my home PC.
Do you mean the un-uninstallable? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.