• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interchanging between Waterloo and City line and Northern line at Waterloo station

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapAndNerdy

The other day I was wandering hither and thither (no plan, just going wherever the fancy took me) on the network. At the end of the day it transpired that, when interchanging from the Waterloo & City line to the Northern line at Waterloo station, no touch-out was recorded at the end of the W&C segment, although a Northern line touch-in was recorded.

Now, I was pretty careful in tapping in/out during my travels, but I can't specifically recall tapping out from the W&C (I do recall tapping in) and this makes me wonder if there is actually a physical route from W&C to Northern that bypasses the W&C gates as I seem to recall heading in one direction when the few other passengers went in another?

Of course maybe I simply wandered through an open gateline without thinking.

PS. I applied for and was granted a refund for the "incomplete" journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jnjkerbin

If I remember correctly there are no gates to the W&C platforms, just readers at the side of the corridor at Waterloo

Djriley27

If I remember correctly there are no gates to the W&C platforms, just readers at the side of the corridor at Waterloo

Correct. At Waterloo there's only readers at the side. It's quite easy to miss them as many people do

CheapAndNerdy

Thanks for the explanation. I must admit when I saw the gateline for the Northern line I felt somewhat disoriented because in the logic of my mind I was still "in" the system and wasn't expecting to go through any "in" gates. I guess I should have realised I missed an "out" gate somewhere and gone back to look for it.

Are there any other central zone stations with posts rather than gates?

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Are there any other central zone stations with posts rather than gates?

On the tube, no. (DLR is an entirely different state of affairs)

Not that many on the tube outside the central zone (if we mean Zone 1 by that) any more, either: Roding Valley and South Kenton spring immediately to mind, but they very much are the exception.

transmanche

Established Member
Not that many on the tube outside the central zone (if we mean Zone 1 by that) any more, either: Roding Valley and South Kenton spring immediately to mind, but they very much are the exception.
Finsbury Park (Z2) is by far the busiest.

Although the NR platforms are now gated, the tube station isn't.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also in Zone 1 you can avoid the gates at Euston Square and Bank by using the lift.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Coming into West Ham station, there are ticket barriers at the entrance, but there are also Oyster readers on the way to the C2C platforms, which I found unusual. I'm not sure why they are there, as there are no further barriers within the station or on the way to the District/Jubilee platforms, so people interchanging between the tube to C2C won't need to use them, surely? And of course, those entering the station have already touched in, so it's somewhat confusing.

The Tube programme that BBC produced last year said there were some Northern Line stations on the High Barnet branch that only have readers.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...so people interchanging between the tube to C2C won't need to use them, surely?..
Tube to c2c? Depends on where their destination is, as c2c extends well beyond the Oyster PAYG area. So someone going from, say, Southwark to Southend may be using PAYG to West Ham and a paper ticket from there.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Those Oyster readers at West Ham are very useful indeed for people who combine a paper c2c season ticket (for example) with Oyster PAYG for travel in London.

tsr

Established Member
By far the silliest set-up of posts/barriers which comes to mind is at Chalfont & Latimer. One side has a gateline, the other just has an unmanned gate - usually open to all and sundry - with posts. Each is visible from the other, and there's a subway which allows you to choose either exit.

I don't know what the fare evasion situation is like...

Be3G

Established Member
The Tube programme that BBC produced last year said there were some Northern Line stations on the High Barnet branch that only have readers.

I remember being a bit annoyed about that: I seem to recall they showed a staff member watching people walk past the validators without touching in and making sarcastic comments implying they were all fare-dodgers. It was as if he had never heard of paper travelcards!

musicking1306

I remember going from Waterloo to Stratford and went to Bank on the W&C line, so I touched in at Waterloo, got to Bank and there is a gate-line to get out of the W&C line towards the central. I was very annoyed when you have to touch out and back in again at Bank. Not happy I was charged twice.

Is there any solution to avoiding the barriers at bank so I don't get charged twice again?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I remember going from Waterloo to Stratford and went to Bank on the W&C line, so I touched in at Waterloo, got to Bank and there is a gate-line to get out of the W&C line towards the central. I was very annoyed when you have to touch out and back in again at Bank. Not happy I was charged twice.

Is there any solution to avoiding the barriers at bank so I don't get charged twice again?
You don't get charged twice when you touch out at Bank (W&C) Gateline and in again at Bank (Central) gateline as long as you do it within 15 Min. The system treats it as one single journey.

You can avoid the barriers however by following the signs from the W&C platforms to the Central line platforms; this takes you along a long subway where there are no gates.

Djriley27

At the barrier end of platform 7 there's a passageway leading to the Central, Northern, DLR and Monument station (Circle and District) You walk down it and turn left towards the Central.

p.s At waterloo station there's no barriers for the W&C, only readers

jcevans

Re: Finsbury park- aren't they Essientially fare evading and in the process being charged double? I always get a smug satisfaction that clever dicks think they are saving money by not checking out on oyster. The reality will be a £10 journey!

joeykins82

Depends where they've boarded, most of the GOBLIN route has no barriers so if someone went from, say, Woodgrange Park to Finsbury Park via Blackhorse Road it's entirely possible to neither touch in or out. That said Finsbury Park regularly has appearances from the enforcement teams because it's something of a hotspot.

IanD

Established Member
There was a crowd of enforcement officers (with Police presence) at Blackhorse Road yesterday morning at the entrance to the overground platforms. Presumably checking Oysters from unbarriered stations, probably easier to catch them there than at Finsbury Park where they could disperse in all directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.