• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interview/ Assesment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

david271994

Hi i had an assesment for scotrail maintance engineer which i found out through here.

I was wondering in the test it is 3 tests each have 36 questions and 18 minutes to complete them.

What i want to know is the question is "answer as many questiosn as you can in 18 minutes" so do you have to answer them all to be in with a shout. ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
anyone ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
With most of the assessments, there is usually more questions than you could possibly answer... that's not to say this will be the case with this one, i've never sat it. They generally tell you whether you would be expected to answer them all anyhow, in which case remember accuracy over quantity.

david271994

I thought 36 questiosn was far to much to answer in that time.

I think i did ok just dying to hear back

TDK

Established Member
I thought 36 questiosn was far to much to answer in that time.

I think i did ok just dying to hear back

Go through all of them and the ones you know 100% answer, then go through again and the ones you are 50/50 on answer, then go through again and guess the rest. This is by far the best method for time limit questions

GB

Established Member
That all depends if you get penalized for giving wrong answers. Usually (according to a couple of books I have on the subject) if the tests asks you to answer as many questions as you can in XX minutes this is an indication that the assessors are looking for accuracy and speed....so try to answer at least about 2/3rds but more importantly answer them correctly.

In contrast, if the test asks you to answer all the questions in XX minutes then the method TDK mentions is probably best.

TDK

Established Member
That all depends if you get penalized for giving wrong answers. Usually (according to a couple of books I have on the subject) if the tests asks you to answer as many questions as you can in XX minutes this is an indication that the assessors are looking for accuracy and speed....so try to answer at least about 2/3rds but more importantly answer them correctly.

In contrast, if the test asks you to answer all the questions in XX minutes then the method TDK mentions is probably best.

The concentration test (drivers and guards) is the only section you are penalised on for incorrect answers, as for maintenance jobs etc you will need to read or listen to the instructions, for my mechanical test for the drivers job I had this is the method I used and passed by a good margin, as for the concentration tests for anyone reading this who are interested I listened to the assessor and was told they were looking for consistancy so I ensured I did a steady and accurate result across the board, by this I mean the first page was the same as the last about 75% complete and this test I passed easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.