• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introducing RailUK Tickets - support the forum when booking your rail tickets!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

etr221

Can it issue tickets from London Travelcard boundaries? (They aren't listed under 'What can't you sell?') If so, what do do I need to enter where?

How are tickets bought through the site delivered? In what format(s) are they? (And as an obvious question, why isn't it in the FAQ?)

TUC

Established Member
Just tried it. Stuck in a loop of the descriptions of the different databases it is searching from.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just tried it. Stuck in a loop of the descriptions of the different databases it is searching from.
Same here, ipad/safari
Can you retry now please? If it gets stuck 'spinning' again, please make a note of the search being run and the exact time you ran it and drop it over to me in a PM, the Trainsplit team should then be able to isolate the issue.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Can you retry now please? If it gets stuck 'spinning' again, please make a note of the search being run and the exact time you ran it and drop it over to me in a PM, the Trainsplit team should then be able to isolate the issue.
Worked just now. Thanks.
One other minor thing - on the ipad, a banner appears at the very top, inviting you to use the trainsplit app instead - not sure if the affiliate thing would be carried over into the app.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Worked just now. Thanks.
One other minor thing - on the ipad, a banner appears at the very top, inviting you to use the trainsplit app instead - not sure if the affiliate thing would be carried over into the app.
It wouldn't be, no - thanks for pointing that out, looks like we've managed to suppress the banner on iPhone/Android but not on tablets. Will get that sorted.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Worked perfectly just now for me. Once on the railforums version of the site I logged in with my trainsplit username and password which was recognised. I assume this is ok and a separate account isn’t needed for the forum to get its money.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Worked perfectly just now for me. Once on the railforums version of the site I logged in with my trainsplit username and password which was recognised. I assume this is ok and a separate account isn’t needed for the forum to get its money.
Just to confirm, using a user account set up originally on another Trainsplit brand is absolutely fine.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Can it issue tickets from London Travelcard boundaries?
No. These tickets are difficult for most itinerary-based booking engines, because obviously locations like "London Boundary of Zone 3" don't feature in the timetable data and no journey plan can be generated for the customer to pick. Selling these tickets would require some considerable frontend work to allow purchasing a ticket without selecting an associated journey and it's not obvious the demand would necessarily be there to make this work worth it.

(They aren't listed under 'What can't you sell?')
They are now.

How are tickets bought through the site delivered? In what format(s) are they?
The de-facto industry standard: E-Ticket. TOD as fallback.

(And as an obvious question, why isn't it in the FAQ?)
FAQ question "How will I get my tickets?" now covers this

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I like the interface which is easy to navigate works fine on both an iPhone Safari browser and W10 laptop Firefox (104).

However, when I enter a journey from Liverpool South Parkway to Derby return off-peak, although I get an identical itinery as that on the Trainsplit website, the RailUK price is £23.00, v £15.25 for Trainsplit. Any idea why the big discrepancy as both splits are the same as far as I can tell?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Edit: I'ts OK, for some obscure reason, your new site had not applied my Railcard discount. One I went back and re-entered 'Senior Railcard' it worked OK.

Not sure if it was user error or a glitch in the browser?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I just went through the process again on your site (W10 laptop / Firefox). When I selected the 'Senior Railcard' option on the railcard drop-down menu, the 'APPLY' button was off the bottom of my screen and so I was not aware it hadn't automatically applied the railcard.

bearhugger

I've just bought an off peak ticket using ToD at Rosyth. The only "niggle" I found in the process of selecting what time I wanted to travel was in the Grid view. It automatically went to the cheapest fare at 09:22, but I couldn't work out how change to an earlier train which was slightly more expensive. I had put a time in of departing after 07:30. In the Timeline view it's really easy to select an earlier train.
Based on today's experience I'll be using the site again.
Edit: I used the site on my android phone.

XAM2175

Established Member
The only "niggle" I found in the process of selecting what time I wanted to travel was in the Grid view. It automatically went to the cheapest fare at 09:22, but I couldn't work out how change to an earlier train which was slightly more expensive. I had put a time in of departing after 07:30. In the Timeline view it's really easy to select an earlier train.
Timeline view absolutely should be the default, in my opinion.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for this. I will try and remember to use it over Train Split. Good luck.

mangyiscute

Established Member
This is more feedback for TrainSplit as a whole, but it would be cool to see railrovers integrated into the spilt ticketing, as, for example, when travelling from Reading to Preston for a day the cheapest way to split (from what I recall) is to use a west midlands day ranger between Leamington and Crewe as it is cheaper than buying returns for this section, but the website doesn't show this.

Another useful strategy i use sometimes is when travelling to a destination station and then returning via a different route that leads to a circular journey route, it can be cheaper to just not buy a ticket to the "destination station" and buy tickets to another station instead (an example would be to travel from Reading to Huddersfield, one way via Birmingham and Manchester and the other via London and Leeds, a return to Leeds would work out cheaper than a return to Huddersfield) although I imagine this would be quite difficult to implement efficiently.

Last edited:

cav1975

I suggest that it would be better if the link from the forum pages opened in a new window by default. I also note that clicking on the forum header on the "tickets" keeps you on the tickets site and doesn't return to the forum site. Is this the design intent?

leytongabriel

Not working with Firefox browser - just goes round and round
As previously said would be better opening as new page too.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a quick heads up that the RailUK tickets site will be offline from around 10pm tonight until the early hours of tomorrow morning for some scheduled maintenance which we're hoping may resolve the problem (or at least allow us to track the root cause down more easily) for those of you that occasionally get the 'spinning wheel', particularly if it can't be recreated on other Trainsplit brands.

Update 23:30 - this maintenance has now finished and the tickets site is back online.

Last edited:

riceuten

I'm just getting the wheel of death - been running 10 minutes for Stevenage to Manchester and return tomorrow.

Windows 10, Chrome.

Works Stevenage to Kings X for the same time, but doesn't bring up Super Off Peak Returns at all.
1662758558922.png

Adam Williams

Established Member
I'm just getting the wheel of death - been running 10 minutes for Stevenage to Manchester and return tomorrow
No real point waiting for it if it takes more than 30s/1 minute, it probably isn't going to work...

Can you provide the details of the exact search you performed (outbound date, outbound time, return date, return time, number of adult and child passengers, railcards, whether split tickets were enabled), or alternatively the exact time (from e.g. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/uk/london) at which you clicked the find tickets button?

Are you using any Chrome eextension? Can you confirm which version of Chrome you are using?

miklcct

On Moderation
I'm sorry that I can't support the forum by buying my rail ticket at this site.

The reason is because Trainsplit doesn't support PayPal or Amazon Pay, that I will need to use the exact payment card to collect my tickets. My local Thameslink line doesn't have e-tickets enabled and Ticket on Departure is the only fulfilment option, and the payment card I use is generally kept at home, that I ain't willing to take the risk of getting it lost or stolen.

Egg Centric

Not got anything exciting to say yet but I have bought my first set of tickets on Thursday. What I would like to know is if there is a better phone number I can call during issues? During this incident the very first thing I did hoping for a prompt response was to phone up train split but it failed as, being on smarty, an 0333 number doesn't work. And email wasn't answered in anything like enough time (took another day or so). So I took it to the forum. And it was fine but cause of a mixture of my own common sense, the advice given there, and some friendly staff. Not cause of the retailer.

I suspect there's a reasonable chance of delay on my next trip as the outbound leg may well be on the late Queen's funeral. Would be nice to have a better number to contact for immediate assistance if necessary. Mind you now I think about it a bit more this time it's simple direct LNER advances in both directions so very unlikely that there will be an issue getting assistance from station staff on this occasion. Even so, it would be much appreciated to have a way.

That's a very verbose way of saying please could you provide a non-0333 number :lol:

OscarH

I'm sorry that I can't support the forum by buying my rail ticket at this site.

The reason is because Trainsplit doesn't support PayPal or Amazon Pay, that I will need to use the exact payment card to collect my tickets. My local Thameslink line doesn't have e-tickets enabled and Ticket on Departure is the only fulfilment option, and the payment card I use is generally kept at home, that I ain't willing to take the risk of getting it lost or stolen.
The RailUK site (and pretty much any Trainsplit site) has any card collection enabled these days, so that shouldn't be a problem

ChrisC

Established Member
Thank you for this. I’ve just used it for the first time and it worked very well. I logged in with my Trainsplit login and good to see that all my details and previous bookings are there.

riceuten

No real point waiting for it if it takes more than 30s/1 minute, it probably isn't going to work...

Can you provide the details of the exact search you performed (outbound date, outbound time, return date, return time, number of adult and child passengers, railcards, whether split tickets were enabled), or alternatively the exact time (from e.g. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/uk/london) at which you clicked the find tickets button?

Are you using any Chrome eextension? Can you confirm which version of Chrome you are using?
Stevenage to Manchester out at 10am this morning, back at 8pm this evening, 1 adult, 1 network railcard, split tickets enabled. Would have been about 5 minutes before I posted the message (i.e. around 2215-2200). No Chrome extensions as it was on my work laptop (locked down). Chrome version - 105.0.5195.102 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Hope this helps.

Also concerned that Super Off Peak tickets not offered for the session that did work (Stevenage to KGX) - same times - would have been about 5-10 minutes after I posted the above (i.e. 2220-2230).

miklcct

On Moderation
No. These tickets are difficult for most itinerary-based booking engines, because obviously locations like "London Boundary of Zone 3" don't feature in the timetable data and no journey plan can be generated for the customer to pick.
Has Trainsplit ever offered splits consisting of a Travelcard and a boundary extension ticket?

The RailUK site (and pretty much any Trainsplit site) has any card collection enabled these days, so that shouldn't be a problem
Thank you. I have just booked 2 more journeys today, where I am forced to use paper tickets, and the confirmation email says that I can use any payment card to collect my tickets.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Has Trainsplit ever offered splits consisting of a Travelcard and a boundary extension ticket?
No, because boundary zone tickets cannot be sold online.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No, because boundary zone tickets cannot be sold online.
I think they technically can be, it's just that it would involve a laborious process for what would ultimately be a relatively small number of tickets sold.