• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introducing RailUK Tickets - support the forum when booking your rail tickets!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This looks like a fantastic ticketing site!

Quick question, sorry if the answer is obvious, but is there a way to make bicycle reservations? I don't need to right now for any particular journey, but it's one of the most important functionalities for me.
For now you need to request these separately; it's not yet part of the booking process.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rapmastaj

As @yorkie says - not as part of the purchase flow, unfortunately.

(It needs accreditation before we can let customers loose on it)
Ok, I hope you're able to let us loose soon!

I often travel between Leeds and Bristol. Split tickets are a must on Crosscountry, and it would also be really useful to be able to take my bike. But I don't know any good method for buying split tickets and bicycle reservations together.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ok, I hope you're able to let us loose soon!

I often travel between Leeds and Bristol. Split tickets are a must on Crosscountry, and it would also be really useful to be able to take my bike. But I don't know any good method for buying split tickets and bicycle reservations together.
Raileasy can do it for you as one through reservation:) it's just that you currently need to request it separately.

miklcct

On Moderation
New experimental feature: "Let me use Oyster/contactless to travel cross-London"

There's now a new toggle switch which can be enabled in the More Options dialog to specifically request that cross-London fares are excluded, and that the journey planner splits journeys into two ticketed parts (one to enter London, one to leave London - with the bit in the middle left unticketed to be paid for by the customer separately using Oyster, Contactless or Apple/Google Pay). This will initially only be available on the RailUK Forums branded site whilst the functionality is considered experimental.

The benefit from this approach is that whilst TfL continue not to support modern barcode-based National Rail ticketing standards, you are much more likely to be able to have your booking fulfilled as E-Tickets with this setting enabled, as there is no need to issue tickets valid on e.g. LUL services where only magstripe tickets can be accepted at the gateline.

I would recommend railcard-holders make use of a Oyster card with auto-topup enabled instead of contactless, as the latter mechanism continues not to support railcard discounts being associated with the passenger's payment method.

Feedback welcome.
Hi Adam, if the cross-London part is made on a National Rail service, i.e. Thameslink or Elizabeth line, will it be also left out in the tickets such that Oyster / contactless is going to be used?

Adam Williams

Established Member
Hi Adam, if the cross-London part is made on a National Rail service, i.e. Thameslink or Elizabeth line, will it be also left out in the tickets such that Oyster / contactless is going to be used?
It's intended to exclude zonal fares in a cross-London journey search scenario, leaving tube and DLR legs unticketed. I don't think it'll suggest using Oyster/Contactless on National Rail services, such as Thameslink.

XR might be a bit more of a special case, in some ways.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
It's intended to exclude zonal fares in a cross-London journey search scenario, leaving tube and DLR legs unticketed. I don't think it'll suggest using Oyster/Contactless on National Rail services, such as Thameslink.

XR might be a bit more of a special case, in some ways.
Indeed. If XR were to be treated as the tube, you'd have to get off, tap the reader, then get back on again - at both ends of the core, potentially. So this sort of itinerary is priced normally instead.

Roger B

I'm trying to book a ticket from Stockport to Cardiff Park for this coming Saturday (to grab my last 769 before it gets sent to Newport), preferaby on the 06.37 from SPT and 14.53 from CDF so to get loco haulage both ways. But I keep get a banner message saying:

"Sorry, there's been a problem with your request.​

To prevent abuse, we're unable to fulfill your journey planning request."

Abuse by whom, of what? Is it something to so with the 6 Nations rugby match, perhaps? Either way I'm a bit mystified, and if anyone could explain, that'd be very helpful, thanks.

The regular return fare from SPT to CDF is £92.90, but by buying separate returns SPT - SHR, SHR - HFD, HFD - NWP, and NWP - CDF, I can knock just over £20 off, and do the trip for £72.80. However, if RailUK Tickets can help me do it eben cheaper, I'd be all in.

Benjwri

Established Member
I'm trying to book a ticket from Stockport to Cardiff Park for this coming Saturday (to grab my last 769 before it gets sent to Newport), preferaby on the 06.37 from SPT and 14.53 from CDF so to get loco haulage both ways. But I keep get a banner message saying:

"Sorry, there's been a problem with your request.​

To prevent abuse, we're unable to fulfill your journey planning request."

Abuse by whom, of what? Is it something to so with the 6 Nations rugby match, perhaps? Either way I'm a bit mystified, and if anyone could explain, that'd be very helpful, thanks.

The regular return fare from SPT to CDF is £92.90, but by buying separate returns SPT - SHR, SHR - HFD, HFD - NWP, and NWP - CDF, I can knock just over £20 off, and do the trip for £72.80. However, if RailUK Tickets can help me do it eben cheaper, I'd be all in.
What browser are you using, and have you tried another one? Works absolutely fine for me and is able to do it for £69.40 on 5 splits.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Abuse by whom, of what?
Unscrupulous competitors who would rather "scrape" the split fares offered by TrainSplit than invest in R&D to do split ticketing of the same quality themselves.

Like any system based on user behaviour heuristics, there are false positives

akm

Found something odd today, not sure if it's user error or...

On tickets.railforums.co.uk, search for tickets from Havant HAV to London International (for Eurostar) LNE, outbound Sunday 9 April 14:30, inbound Sunday 23 April 14:30. One adult, no railcard, make sure split tickets is OFF (the default for this site). You get offered a host of options, all priced at 43.80, which brfares tells us is the Euro High Saver R EVR price - makes sense, since this journey is entirely off-peak.

Now, go to new.trainsplit.com, conduct exactly the same search (making sure split tickets is OFF, since this site defaults to it being on), and:

1677248548564.png

You only get offered the 47.00 Euro Std Return EOR - the peak-compatible ticket, even though the EVR is clearly valid and cheaper. I've given it a bit of a go and I can't get trainsplit.com to offer EVR on anything, only EOR. Is this a weird 'site accreditation' thing?

andythebrave

My wife (with disabled Railcard) is going to Wimbledon tomorrow for the day and I plan on taking her to flitwick rather than use the rail replacement to Bedford.

However, out of curiosity, I input the journey from lidlington via Bedford and Blackfriars leaving at 0706 and was offered an off-peak day travel card at £23.45.

As this is not valid for trains due to arrive London terminals before 1000 can anyone say why this is shown?

Adam Williams

Established Member
My wife (with disabled Railcard) is going to Wimbledon tomorrow for the day and I plan on taking her to flitwick rather than use the rail replacement to Bedford.

However, out of curiosity, I input the journey from lidlington via Bedford and Blackfriars leaving at 0706 and was offered an off-peak day travel card at £23.45.

As this is not valid for trains due to arrive London terminals before 1000 can anyone say why this is shown?
Can you please click the little link icon:

1677455667010.png

and then paste into a new reply to this thread?

andythebrave

Not sure that's working here's a screenshot.
Advanced options for via Bedford and change at Blackfriars depart after 0700 return after 1600.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230227-000213.png
    Screenshot_20230227-000213.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 20

Adam Williams

Established Member
Fixed link: Here

(it was generating the InboundTime using 12h clock, fix for link generation will deploy for that later today).

Fare (on BRFares)

Off-peak Day Travelcard (ODT) with restriction LW at £23.45

Electronic restrictions:

List of electronic restrictions, with no rule denying arrival into Wimbledon or Blackfriars.

I'm not sure that the proposed itinerary fails to comply with any of the above restrictions, does it?

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I can replicate what the OP is saying. Here's the link:

Adam Williams

Established Member
Here's the link:
Your link will work on your device, but nobody else's, unfortunately. The shareable links have a bunch of parameters after /results
It goes through St Pancras before 0959

andythebrave

So it really shouldn't be valid but it is...

If it were me I'd buy it but I can't afford to let my wife go through the potential interrogations so will pop down to Flitwick in the morning and get her the anytime day return.

Thanks, most enlightening.

tspaul26

Established Member
It goes through St Pancras before 0959
It will be because the electronic restrictions are applied to:
  • The origin and destination of the journey
  • All locations where a passenger changes trains during a journey
  • The final destination of all trains travelled on during a journey
If the passenger uses Thameslink and doesn’t change at St Pancras then there is nothing for the restriction to ‘bite’ on.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It will be because the electronic restrictions are applied to:
  • The origin and destination of the journey
  • All locations where a passenger changes trains during a journey
  • The final destination of all trains travelled on during a journey
If the passenger uses Thameslink and doesn’t change at St Pancras then there is nothing for the restriction to ‘bite’ on.
Indeed. The unpublished restrictions have not got Thameslink stations from Farringdon to London Bridge (and beyond) included which is what is required to prevent this.

Benjwri

Established Member
Has TrainSplit suddenly lost its ability to sell out boundary travel cards for anyone else? It always shows 'No reservable fares are available for this journey', even when selecting a train that isn't reservable such as the Elizabeth Line. This happens on every operator I've tried, and it's perfectly happy to offer fares to the terminals on these itineraries.

On a side note is anyone able to tell me what the split is for this offering? I would like to book the ticket through another means if TrainSplit isn't able to offer it, but there is no way to see the split without selecting an itinerary.

cav1975

We've not killed it off, you need to click "Add to basket" and then visit the basket (link in the nav in the top right). Click the seat icon, then click the pencil to edit next to the seat you want to change, and the seat selector will open up inline.
So should I have gone to "Basket" instead of "Checkout"? This seems to be difficult for the sake of it as it isn't at all obvious. I've booked now as I gave up trying to find a way to choose a seat myself; so have I lost the ability to change my seat?

Adam Williams

Established Member
So should I have gone to "Basket" instead of "Checkout"?
Yes, if you want to use the SeatSelector.

This seems to be difficult for the sake of it as it isn't at all obvious
Yup, the quality of the industry reservations data is too poor to make this more prominent and encourage further usage.

It's a shame.

I've booked now as I gave up trying to find a way to choose a seat myself; so have I lost the ability to change my seat?
Can you please DM me your booking ref?