• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introducing RailUK Tickets - support the forum when booking your rail tickets!

miklcct

On Moderation
I'm sorry that Trainsplit is offering ticket at a supposedly post-increase price (1-6 Travelcard with Railcard at £10.00). Please fix it as soon as possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230303_182932.png
    Screenshot_20230303_182932.png
    372.4 KB · Views: 46
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Egg Centric

Is there any way to search for standard premium on avanti? I don't *mind* travelling first class obviously, but it does seem a little bit unfair to my employer to make them pay an extra £60 for benefits I won't use :lol:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I'm sorry that Trainsplit is offering ticket at a supposedly post-increase price (1-6 Travelcard with Railcard at £10.00). Please fix it as soon as possible.
That's an issue with how Travelcards (and certain other tickets) are entered into the fares database rather than Trainsplit.

In short, the option was to either not be able to sell the affected tickets for travel on or after 5th March until 5th March, or to sell them at the new price once the new fares were distributed to retail systems.

Prior to 2021, this wasn't an issue as tickets for travel on or after a fare change were sold at the new price from four weeks in advance.

Willie Bee

I want to book a day trip from Newcastle to Saltburn and I am keen to use the RailUK ticket scheme. I have a senior railcard

On RailUK (unless I am doing something wrong) the price is coming up at £9.30, which seems a great price

Journey Details

Date of travel : Sunday 14th May

Outward .. Depart Newcastle at 10:31, arriving in Saltburn at 12:48 (2 trains, both NorthernRail)

Return .. Depart Saltburn at 16:57, arriving in Newcastle at 18:49 (2 trains, again both on NorthernRail)

just as a comparison, I thought I would look at the NorthernRail website. the outward journey doesn't even show up. the nearest would be leaving Newcastle at 11:06, then travelling via the ECML to Darlington.

RailUK tickets obviously will win my money .. but I'm just asking why NorthernRail are not showing some of their journeys .. and how can a third-party ticket supplier be cheaper

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I want to book a day trip to Saltburn, from Newcastle and I am keen to use the RailUK ticket scheme. I have a senior railcard

On RailUK (unless I am doing something wrong) the price is coming up at £9.30, which seems a great price

Journey Details

Outward .. Depart Newcastle at 10:31, arriving in Saltburn at 12:48 (2 trains, both NorthernRail)

Return .. Depart Saltburn at 16:57, arriving in Newcastle at 18:49 (2 trains, again both on NorthernRail)

just as a comparison, I thought I would look at the NorthernRail website. the outward journey doesn't even show up. the nearest would be leaving Newcastle at 11:06, then travelling via the ECML to Darlington.

RailUK tickets obviously will win my money .. but I'm just asking why NorthernRail are not showing some of their journeys .. and how can a third-party ticket supplier be cheaper
Most journey planners use fastest journey as a default so slower journeys via the coast may not show up

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yep train companies generally seem to only want customers to take the fastest journeys, within the constraints of what they have defined to be permitted routes.

The actual fastest journeys or cheapest journeys can be difficult, or sometimes even impossible, to find on train company sites.

Good to hear you got a good result :)

I want to book a day trip from Newcastle to Saltburn and I am keen to use the RailUK ticket scheme. I have a senior railcard

Journey Details

Yep train companies generally seem to only want customers to take the fastest journeys, within the constraints of what they have defined to be permitted routes.

The actual fastest journeys or cheapest journeys can be difficult, or sometimes even impossible, to find on train company sites.

Good to hear you got a good result :)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Journey Details

The price you are seeing is the cost of an Off-Peak Day Return routed via Hartlepool (i.e. the coast). Trainline-based booking sites, such as Northern's website, default to only showing the fastest journeys - which in this case would almost always involve going via the ECML down to Darlington instead. The fare for that route is, however, higher.

Willie Bee

Thank you for all your replies.

Yes, seems like a great price .. Well done 'RailUk Tickets'

all booked !

Last edited:

1D54

Just signed up for the new ticket site on here and attempting to purchase two tickets. One adult and one Senior Railcard. Do i have to make two separate bookings?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just signed up for the new ticket site on here and attempting to purchase two tickets. One adult and one Senior Railcard. Do i have to make two separate bookings?
Yes, at the moment there's a limitation on Trainsplit that means that a railcard must apply to all passengers. So if you booked two adults with one senior railcard it would apply the railcard to both passengers. So two separate bookings unfortunately!

1D54

Ok thanks for that, hopefully it changes in the near future.

Will Mitchell

I am using Rail UK Tickets to book my weekly tickets from Bristol to London and I am finding it a little tricky.

I generally always want to book the same train: Tuesday 0830 BRI-PAD, returning Thursday at 1902. It’s a simple off-peak return ticket but the booking engine needs a lot of encouragement before offering this particular combination to me. Even in Timeline mode I have to select ‘All’ and then scroll through lots of trains to find the right match.

If I select the Flexible and Fast criteria, surely it should be offering me the trains closest to the times I have specified for the outbound and return legs? Instead it usually finds a way to offer me the 2000 return instead of the 1902.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Will

Adam Williams

Established Member
If I select the Flexible and Fast criteria, surely it should be offering me the trains closest to the times I have specified for the outbound and return legs?
Many customers want to see a range results within a search window. They would not find seeing lots of slightly different itineraries departing within 10-20 minutes of their specified search start time to be particularly helpful if it turns out that there is a faster / cheaper / better value itinerary 40 minutes later that they therefore miss. It's more important to show a spread of itineraries to these customers.

For the outwards journey, the 08:30 departure is slower than the 08:37 itinerary and so even when fastest is chosen, it is evicted from the grid columns which are rendered for each journey. There are only 4 grid slots for 4 hours worth of journeys, and so when we prioritise journey speed, the 08:30 loses the competition and has to languish in the "View all results" bucket in the Timeline view. This is one of the problems with the grid view - and everyone naturally has opinions on how the 4 journeys in each direction should be picked!

Customers with preferred itineraries and regular journeys that they travel on where they know they're departing within a specific time window are important too, but would arguably be better served by some sort of dedicated "Favourite journeys" or "Frequent journeys" user interface to cut through the faff of searching using the usual interface for this sort of use-case. That's a bit of a way off right now, but it'd probably be a better solution than adding more sticking plasters (letting the user customise the search window, I guess) to the grid UI.

In your case, I get the impression you always want direct journeys each way - so why not set that as a filter and then bookmark a link that gives you exactly what you want? Here's one:

https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/re...19:00&adv:ob:MaxChanges=0&adv:ib:MaxChanges=0

This is an "evergreen link" so it'll always show you next week's results. You don't need to pick dates manually.

You may need to click Fastest each time - until someone gets around to adding support for keeping the chosen mode (Fastest, Best Value, Cheapest) in the link anyway - but then your combination should immediately show up.

Last edited:

Pacef8

I used this service to travel to manchester yesterday unfortunately our ems was cancelled from sheffield at 17.37 i put in a delay repay but they say they say its not a valid claim as i did not book direct with them ? Thus great cheap service but it fails when you come across a problem.

Benjwri

Established Member
I used this service to travel to manchester yesterday unfortunately our ems was cancelled from sheffield at 17.37 i put in a delay repay but they say they say its not a valid claim as i did not book direct with them ? Thus great cheap service but it fails when you come across a problem.
This is entirely incorrect, delay repay is not based on where you bought the ticket, and if an operator is claiming that that is a very serious development I don’t think we’ve seen yet. Could you give more details on how you tried to claim and what exactly they told you?

Pacef8

Please see email below

Hello Customer,

Good Evening. Thank you for contacting us. Hope you are doing well.

I understand you are looking for refund. I will certainly look into this.

On reviewing the booking under the reference : 9J7K8FNB, we could not find any bookings made with us. Since you have not made the booking with us I would request you to contact the point of purchase for refund

I hope the above information is helpful.

Kind Regards,
K

zero

Did you travel on the next train, or did you abandon your journey?

If the former, you are entitled to delay repay assuming you were delayed sufficiently. If the latter you are entitled to a refund.

Delay repay is paid by the train operator, a refund is from the ticket seller.

EMR appears to think that you want a refund and as you did not buy from them, they cannot refund.

If you want delay repay from EMR you need to make that clear, and you have to show them the actual ticket, not a collection reference.

If you want a refund then you claim that from trainsplit who sold the ticket.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You will need to submit images of the tickets you used, rather than just a booking reference, in order to claim Delay Repay.

Benjwri

Established Member
Please see email below

Hello Customer,

Good Evening. Thank you for contacting us. Hope you are doing well.

I understand you are looking for refund. I will certainly look into this.

On reviewing the booking under the reference : 9J7K8FNB, we could not find any bookings made with us. Since you have not made the booking with us I would request you to contact the point of purchase for refund

I hope the above information is helpful.

Kind Regards,
K
As mentioned above by zero, you were trying to get a refund not delay repay. If it is delay repay you’re wanting to claim you can do so here.

If you didn’t travel at all and are wanting to claim a refund, you should claim it from the retailer, TrainSplit in this case, and can do so here.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Thus great cheap service but it fails when you come across a problem.
Wouldn't say that this is the case. In fact I'd go as far as to say that Raileasy are probably one of the best retailers to have booked with when something goes wrong, particularly if it's fares/ticketing related. There's significant industry expertise in this area, both in-house and on the journey planning side.

I've personally secured over £300 in compensation for customers who've been poorly treated when travelling and I don't even work in a customer service role. I wouldn't trust any of the larger retailers to have my own back and advocate on my behalf to the same extent.

Egg Centric

Could you increase maximum upload size of ticket photos please? I'm in quite an amusing situation (see screenshot) where I took photo pre rip, and post rip - but files are rejected as over 4 megs and I have no way (I can see) to actually retrieve the pre rip photo to download back to phone to resize!

Attachments

• 15163697-FC97-4982-9053-6346DAE43B2B.png
    15163697-FC97-4982-9053-6346DAE43B2B.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

Adam Williams

Established Member
Could you increase maximum upload size of ticket photos please? I'm in quite an amusing situation (see screenshot) where I took photo pre rip, and post rip - but files are rejected as over 4 megs and I have no way (I can see) to actually retrieve the pre rip photo to download back to phone to resize!
How large are they, and what device were they taken with?

Happy to increase it, just want to understand what a good new limit is!

Last edited:

Egg Centric

They were 4 point something on an iPhone ?11? - so in my case a small update may have made the difference

What would also be helpful to prevent others carelessly doing this is ask for the upload of the unripped, verify it is uploaded, then ask for the upload of the ripped. As if you are doing it through a typical upload image from camera interface the camera image isn't saved accessibly locally anywhere, at least as far as I could see (didn't check too hard in fairness). Separating the upload before prompting for the ripped would prevent the ripping happing too early (in my case anyway) albeit appreciate it may also lead to half done appeals!

_toommm_

Established Member

Photos on my iPhone 14 Pro Max are 10MB, but if they are took in raw format, they can be 100MB. Although if you upload directly from the iPhone, you can choose to downsize them.

Egg Centric

Photos on my iPhone 14 Pro Max are 10MB, but if they are took in raw format, they can be 100MB. Although if you upload directly from the iPhone, you can choose to downsize them.

Anyone choosing to take/upload in raw format knows what they're doing. While technically speaking I do know what I'm doing (in the sense of being tech savvy rather than knowing anything much about iPhones per se), in practice I'm using the thing on its default settings; seems more important to cater for them than people who've fiddled with stuff.

Probably the UX improvement of taking one photo and then the other is the best solution as this number is only going to trend upwards. It's pretty minor anyway, they're less than £20 of what was a £250ish order in total. The other thing to change would be the upload component so it's more obvious they haven't uploaded; it looked like one of the gazillion third-party libraries you can get to do this and it's not clear at all if you're not concentrating (and I wasn't as I was doing this on a busy tram) that the upload failed, particularly as there's a preview.

Adam Williams

Established Member
it looked like one of the gazillion third-party libraries you can get to do this
Yeah, I mean to be fair - it is! Ain't nobody got time to write an image upload component :lol:

I've arranged for the file size limit to be bumped up, thanks for pointing that out.

The rest are good suggestions but can go on the backlog for a rainy day, ideally for completion when I'm not trying to do the jobs of multiple people at once (btw, Raileasy is hiring!).

_toommm_

Established Member
Anyone choosing to take/upload in raw format knows what they're doing. While technically speaking I do know what I'm doing (in the sense of being tech savvy rather than knowing anything much about iPhones per se), in practice I'm using the thing on its default settings; seems more important to cater for them than people who've fiddled with stuff.

I mean of course I wouldn't take a photo in RAW format for the purpose of uploading to the Internet to get a ticket refund - I was just stating it for completeness.