• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introduction of connecting bus Stranraer station to Cairnryan ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eire Sprinter

In recent weeks a connecting bus was introduced between Stranraer railway station and both the Stena Line and P & O Ferries terminals at Cairnryan.

The bus route is numbered the 350 and operated by McLeans of Stranraer (as an aside this company also used to operate the courtesy bus in the port at Stranraer). Link to the bus timetable.

The bus opens up a number of rail and sea journeys between Scotland and Northern Ireland.

In particular taking a train to Stranraer, the short bus journey to Cairnryan's P & O terminal and a ferry from there to Larne is possible. Larne Harbour retains the only integrated ferry-rail terminal on the island of Ireland and has regular trains to Belfast Central (rail connections to elsewhere available) and Belfast Great Victoria Street (beside the Europa Buscentre).

The rail journey from Larne Harbour to Belfast has some scenic stretches such as around Whitehead (RPSI's base too) with views across to Black Head lighthouse. Free wifi is available on the trains too.

Carrickfergus is a station with an ambience of its own.

If boarding at Larne Harbour one's ticket may be purchased from the conductor onboard.

Note: through ticketing is only available on the Stena Line Belfast - Cairnryan route by using the dedicated coach link between the Stena Line port at Cairnryan and Ayr railway station (included in fare).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Sounds like a good idea, as long as it connects with the trains and the ferries.

Are there any plans to move the station in Stranraer closer to the town centre now that the ferries no longer run?

St Rollox

Sounds like a staff bus that's been opened up to the public.
Pretty useless to anybody traveling from Glasgow or Ayrshire on a through ticket.

marks87

Established Member
What was the rationale behind Ayr being the station for Cairnryan, when Stranraer is only 10 minutes away?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ayr is served by significantly more trains than Stranraer.

Once you eliminate the convenience factor of strolling out of a train onto a boat then frequency of connections becomes more important, and it's extremely difficult to try and time Stranraer trains to always connect with ferries - Ayr is much more straightforward in many respects.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There is of course also the more straightforward answer that Stranraer is already 10-20 minutes further from Ayr by train than the duration of the bus journey from Ayr to Cairnryan, even before you have get a bus from Stranraer to the port.

marks87

Established Member
All fair points, but since trains connected with sailings anyway, was there that big an issue?

I looked at the timings, and including a wait at Ayr, the journey time from Glasgow-Cairnryan (including bus) is exactly the same as that to Stranraer (2h14m). Of course, there's another 10 minutes from Stranraer, but wouldn't being able to make the bulk of the trip by train, and take 10 minutes longer, be far more appealing than a 70 minute bus journey?

harz99

All fair points, but since trains connected with sailings anyway, was there that big an issue?

I looked at the timings, and including a wait at Ayr, the journey time from Glasgow-Cairnryan (including bus) is exactly the same as that to Stranraer (2h14m). Of course, there's another 10 minutes from Stranraer, but wouldn't being able to make the bulk of the trip by train, and take 10 minutes longer, be far more appealing than a 70 minute bus journey?

Maybe you would like to look at the timetable for bus 350? It isn't there to service ex rail passengers onto ferries or viceversa.

The 350 as currently exists firstly connects Stranraer town centre to/from the rail station, and secondly connects Stranraer town centre to/from both ports on Loch Ryan.

The service is provided with an all electric "green" vehicle, funded via various grants none of which as far as I am aware, came from the ferry operators or the railway.

The earliest possible connection to the 350 would be off the 1200 train arrival, and would result in an arrival at the Stena port around 1245, so not really an option compared to the Ayr coach link..

PS. The connections at Stranraer between train and boat had not been guaranteed for years; Stena never waited for late train passengers.

Last edited:

Liam

Established Member
Since Stena moved to Loch Ryan,I've started using the Citylink/Ulsterbus service from Glasgow. Theres a handy connection off the X26 from Leven and Kirkcaldy onto the 0820 923 to Loch Ryan terminal, wait for 20-30 minutes to board the ferry, then off the ferry and onto a bus into Belfast city centre. Far better than walking across Glasgow, changing trains at Ayr and havig to make your own way from Stena to Belfast city centre.

Tobbes

Established Member
Was it ever considered to reopen the railway to Cairnryan itself?

St Rollox

Doubt there will be anymore than the price of one platform and a portacabin.
Sad end to what once was a sleeper train, first class coaches etc destination.

In saying that the journey time Belfast/Larne/Stranraer/Glasgow hardly changed in a 100+ years.
Bringing in faster ships killed anytime saving by moving from Larne to Belfast.
That in turn didn't help the railway at Larne.

harz99

How much finance would be needed to effect this proposal, including new terminal buildings ?

I believe somewhere in the region of £3.5m was ringfenced to enable the new platform, basic buildings and bus interchange to be built. The project has stalled, as has any redevelopment of the old Stena site and waterfront.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Going back in the archives on www.saylsa.org.uk it appears the new station and interchange cost was at one time reckoned to be £7m.

Liam

Established Member
I believe somewhere in the region of £3.5m was ringfenced to enable the new platform, basic buildings and bus interchange to be built. The project has stalled, as has any redevelopment of the old Stena site and waterfront.

Isn't part of the problem that Stranraer is still the port of refuge for Stena and P&O, in the unlikely event that the Loch Ryan ports are unavailable (closed because of weather)?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just in an idle moment, I was comparing two west coast ferry ports that now are not what they used to be. Fleetwood with a population of 26,840 and ferry problems over recent times, lost its direct rail service completely, whereas Stranraer with a population of 10,851 still has the ferry service in its nearby environs and still is connected to the national rail network.

harz99

Isn't part of the problem that Stranraer is still the port of refuge for Stena and P&O, in the unlikely event that the Loch Ryan ports are unavailable (closed because of weather)?

Unlikely; all of Stranraer, P&O Cairnryan and Stena Port Ryan are on the same Loch. If really bad weather is forecast the ferries don't sail, and if they get caught in a sudden change of weather they will stand off in the centre of Loch Ryan until it is safe to move/sail again (this used to happen regularly with the HSS).

Liam

Established Member
Unlikely; all of Stranraer, P&O Cairnryan and Stena Port Ryan are on the same Loch. If really bad weather is forecast the ferries don't sail, and if they get caught in a sudden change of weather they will stand off in the centre of Loch Ryan until it is safe to move/sail again (this used to happen regularly with the HSS).

Stranraer is less exposed than Cairryan. Cairnryan Stuggles with Westerly/North Westerly winds coming off the North Channel. The HSS isn't really a good yardstick, these high speed catarmarans affected far more by the weather than the conventional ferries, see the number or P&O express sailings cancelled, especially through the winter.

I just wondered, because P&O would very occasionally use Stena's facility at Stranraer in times of bad weather, when they were unable to berth at Cairnryan. Stena and P&O always had a longstanding agreement.

Argosy

Ayr is served by significantly more trains than Stranraer.

Once you eliminate the convenience factor of strolling out of a train onto a boat then frequency of connections becomes more important, and it's extremely difficult to try and time Stranraer trains to always connect with ferries - Ayr is much more straightforward in many respects.

Except the fact that the journey time is longer, uses twice as much carbon and undermines the existing service. Using your argument they could have run a connecting coach years ago since Ayr has had 2 tph since electrification.

feline1

This whole business with the port move has been a real shambles if you ask me.
I often try and do SailRail journeys between Brighton and Belfast (!)
I use the word "try" deliberately.

Through ticketing on the Holyhead - Dublin route is clobbered by the fact that Irish Rail don't allow ticket purchases more than a month in advance, and it takes a further two weeks for Arriva Trains Wales to load their timetable onto its booking system (!?) meaning you can only book the journey a fortnight in advance... by which time, seat reservations on the ferry and/or Virgin service from Euston are often sold out.

And as discussed on this thread, on the Scotland - Belfast route, the ferries to Larne don't participate in Sail Rail, so you're left with what was the Stranraer - Belfast route. Moving the ferry port 6 miles to Cairnryan has led to this bonkers situation where they make you get off the train at Ayr and get a bus to Cairnryan. It's along a single-lane twisty A77 round, and in bad weather or if the coach gets stuck behind a 'sunday driver', it can take well over 90 minutes. Plus you have to add on the time for getting everybody's luggage loaded onto the coach .... and coaches take ages to get on the passengers on board compared to trains: they only have one door.

It's hopeless - I can pop up from Brighton to Euston in about 90 minutes (Victoria > Tube) and then zip in comfort on a Virgin Train up to Glasgow central - a mere 4.5 hours, and not really THAT much longer than a flight, if you the checkin time and no need for stupid security when you have to take your belt and shoes off...
...but out of Glasgow, there about one rubbish little Scotrail train to Ayr per hour, then you get on a bus....

Why oh why can't they let us stay on the train to Stranraer then have a little 10 minute shuttle bus to the Cairnryan Port? Or, indeed, extend the rail line to Cairnryan?
Stenaline are shooting themselves in the foot, because it just means people are all the more likely to fly instead.

harz99

Stenaline are shooting themselves in the foot, because it just means people are all the more likely to fly instead.

On the contrary; Stena's core business is road freight, private car and coach parties and some scheduled coach services, the foot passenger is a very insignificant and sometimes inconvenient part of their business.
...but out of Glasgow, there about one rubbish little Scotrail train to Ayr per hour....

Three or four trains an hour most of the time actually, and many of those are class 380 which are hardly rubbish...........

clc

Established Member
...but out of Glasgow, there about one rubbish little Scotrail train to Ayr per hour, then you get on a bus....

The frequency from Glasgow to Ayr is 3tph and this will increase to 4tph in May. I wouldn't describe class 380s as rubbish.

Why oh why can't they let us stay on the train to Stranraer then have a little 10 minute shuttle bus to the Cairnryan Port? Or, indeed, extend the rail line to Cairnryan?

Because there's a strong likelihood that neither option is economically sustainable.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. As you yourself claim, I have myself used the Stena Belfast route frequently over the last few years, and seen the transition from Stranraer HSS operations to Cairnryan. I'm not quite sure what kind of experiences you have had but let me explain why I believe you're unfortunately incorrect in really everything you say.

This whole business with the port move has been a real shambles if you ask me.
You don't really state why the new arrangement is a "shambles" compared to the old...

I often try and do SailRail journeys between Brighton and Belfast (!) I use the word "try" deliberately.
While your arguments against Stena are interesting, it would also be great to understand what you have against the likes of flybe, easyJet and Aer Lingus from Gatwick.

Through ticketing on the Holyhead - Dublin route is clobbered by the fact that Irish Rail don't allow ticket purchases more than a month in advance, and it takes a further two weeks for Arriva Trains Wales to load their timetable onto its booking system (!?) meaning you can only book the journey a fortnight in advance... by which time, seat reservations on the ferry and/or Virgin service from Euston are often sold out.
I'm not sure where you have got this from, from someone else or through you're own doing, but it's absolutely incorrect. Irish Rail allow ticket purchases 60 days in advance, UK TOCs 3 months. Furthermore, I've been offered a through ticket from London to Belfast via Dublin for the start of June, for £58 (through Arriva Trains Wales). Even in my personal experience of booking tickets on either the Belfast or Dublin routes, only days in advance, I've never had any problems.

Moving the ferry port 6 miles to Cairnryan has led to this bonkers situation where they make you get off the train at Ayr and get a bus to Cairnryan.
I agree, it's chaos.

Do you have something against buses?

It's along a single-lane twisty A77 round, and in bad weather or if the coach gets stuck behind a 'sunday driver', it can take well over 90 minutes.
Has it ever taken you that long? It has never taken me more than 70-75 minutes.

Plus you have to add on the time for getting everybody's luggage loaded onto the coach .... and coaches take ages to get on the passengers on board compared to trains: they only have one door.
It's just as well then that not everyone is trying to get on at the same time. It's also convienient that there's 20-30 minutes between the train/boat arriving and the coach leaving for this to happen.

It's hopeless
Why do you bother then?

no need for stupid security when you have to take your belt and shoes off...
:lol:

You can't even be travelling on a Sunday because even then there are trains to Ayr every half hour. Unless you haven't travelled since the introduction of the new trains? I think 50 minutes from Glasgow - Ayr on electric trains with power sockets at seats is pretty good!

Why oh why can't they let us stay on the train to Stranraer then have a little 10 minute shuttle bus to the Cairnryan Port?
There are six trains a day to Stranraer, and most of them aren't even direct from Glasgow. Also, by the time it even gets to Stranraer, you could be at the ferry terminal already. So, slower and less frequent, compared with fast and regular. The Stranraer trains aren't even timed to connect with sailings - so more waiting. Cause for your complaints I'm sure!

I'm still not sure why you don't?

Foot and rail passengers are not Stena's principle users. Why do you think sail + rail fares are so much cheaper than car fares? Because they understand that the majority of their revenue will come from those with a vehicle.

Or, indeed, extend the rail line to Cairnryan?
No.

I love the HSS. But IMO, the current set up is in many ways a lot faster, a lot more streamlined, and a lot more preferable than it was previously.

Last edited:

harz99

It's hopeless - I can pop up from Brighton to Euston in about 90 minutes (Victoria > Tube) and then zip in comfort on a Virgin Train up to Glasgow central - a mere 4.5 hours, and not really THAT much longer than a flight, if you the checkin time and no need for stupid security when you have to take your belt and shoes off...

You're kidding right?

Leave Brighton by train at 0900 to Gatwick, Flybe at 1210 and in Belfast at 1345, that's 4h.45m as opposed to leaving Brighton by train at 0900 cross London and arriving Glasgow at 1501 that's 6h.01m before you've even got to the ferry and crossed over to Belfast. It will take twice as long on a good day to do that journey by Sailrail/Railsail as it does to fly.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Since Stena moved to Loch Ryan,I've started using the Citylink/Ulsterbus service from Glasgow. Theres a handy connection off the X26 from Leven and Kirkcaldy onto the 0820 923 to Loch Ryan terminal, wait for 20-30 minutes to board the ferry, then off the ferry and onto a bus into Belfast city centre. Far better than walking across Glasgow, changing trains at Ayr and havig to make your own way from Stena to Belfast city centre.

agreed - its also a far smoother journey in terms of customer care and hassle for disabled pax, as well as being stupidly cheep if booked in advance. Furthermore Bruce Coaches whn work the service for Citylink tend to us X Nat X Vehicles on it and and these can often be nicer than the Ayr coaches.↲

feline1

Still plenty of interest in this topic, I see! :)

Some of you seem to balk at my calling the '380' trains between Glasgow and Ayr 'rubbish'. I had no idea what their designation was when travelling on them, but when calling them 'rubbish' I was comparing them to the other trains I'd been on for that journey. In terms of passenger comfort, they hardly compare very favourably with the carriages on Virgin trains Euston to Glasgow, with the Enterprise service Dublin to Belfast, or with the Gatwick Express on the Brighton mainline. Even Southern's bog-standard carriages on that line are better. The trains to Ayr seemed more designed for short urban hops, rather than national or international journeys between Scotland's biggest city and an airport and ferryport (where passengers will typically have several kilos of luggage). They had smallish metal seats with little upholstery, and the heating wasn't up to much. I guess 'rubbish' isn't a very objective quantitative term, but I do think these carriages are less than ideal of the route and kind of journeys.
You're kidding right?

Leave Brighton by train at 0900 to Gatwick, Flybe at 1210 and in Belfast at 1345, that's 4h.45m as opposed to leaving Brighton by train at 0900 cross London and arriving Glasgow at 1501 that's 6h.01m before you've even got to the ferry and crossed over to Belfast. It will take twice as long on a good day to do that journey by Sailrail/Railsail as it does to fly.

I think we can all reasonably expect flying in an airplane to be quicker than a train, as planes do fly several hundreds of miles per hour quicker, and don't stop along the way to let people with prams get on and off :)
But the point you helpfully make for me is that, when you factor in getting to their airport, "checking in", having your belt and shoes X-rayed, being obliged to walk for about a mile through daft displays of discount perfume and booze, etc etc, that the basic journey time of 'flying to Belfast' compares very favourably with a train from London to Glasgow (4'n'three quater hours versus 4'n'half). And London to Glasgow is, what, 70% of the distance? What I find exasperating is that the total SailRail time can be close to 16 hours, and about half that extra time compared to flying comes from dicking about getting between Glasgow and the ferryport, because both the road and rail links between Glasgow and the ferryport are orders of magnitude worse than the other legs.
The frequency from Glasgow to Ayr is 3tph and this will increase to 4tph in May. I wouldn't describe class 380s as rubbish..

The last time I made the trip via the Scotch route was Xmas 2012 (tried to do it last year too but stormy winds meant the ferries were cancelled and I had to fly :lol: )... so if they're upgraded the rolling stock or/and improved the frequency of the service in the meantime, I'll be delighted!

On past journeys on the Scotch route, I typically had a wait of 40 minutes at Glasgow Central for the onward connection to Ayr, which didn't exactly suggest a "3 trains per hour" frequency, not unless they were very unevenly spaced.

Because there's a strong likelihood that neither option is economically sustainable.

Well that probably depends on how myopic your view of economics is.
If you view it in terms of "can a single privatised company make a profit out of it", the answer may be "it's not sustainable".
However if you look at it in terms of "is it desirable for nations on these islands to allow free and easy movement of their citizens between different regions and capitals, using public transport that has a low sustainable impact on the environment", then making the train and ferry service so crap that everyone either has to fly or buy their own car is probably not sustainable either. :D
You don't really state why the new arrangement is a "shambles" compared to the old....

Fundamentally, because it is daftly brainwrong to obliterate the rail connection to the ferry port whilst claiming you are "upgrading it" for "faster sailings", and the shambolic inability for sail and rail companies to schedule connecting services turns what should be a cheap alternative to flying (approaching 1/3rd of the price but only taking about twice as long) into something that takes 3 or 4 times as long.
There is something fundamentally broken about a national transport system which means it is cheaper and quicker for me to fly to, say, Istanbul or Latvia than it is for me to get home to bloody Belfast at Xmas to see my folks.

While your arguments against Stena are interesting, it would also be great to understand what you have against the likes of flybe, easyJet and Aer Lingus from Gatwick.

Basically: price, reliability and ludicrous security arrangements.
At Christmas, "budget" airlines are often charging close to £300 for a return trip to Belfast. I could fly someone considerably nicer that Belfast for that.
Reliability: because all their flights are full, if adverse weather, staff shortages or anything else means a flight is cancelled, you are basically screwed. I've been in the situation where, flying about 3 days before Xmas, I've already checked in for a flight only for it to come up on the display that it's "cancelled due to fog" and I then have to queue for another 90 mins to get my checked-in bags back, and then have a "Computer Says No" Flybe staff member tell me "Well, we can offer you a seat on a flight to Liverpool the day after Boxing Day"... in my experience, if a train or ferry is cancelled, there is (usually) more chance you can get on the next one, as it won't be full.
Security: I was flying regularly in and out of Belfast in the days when we were actually murdering and blowing each other up every day, and the airport security usually just meant a quick look in your bag and a frisk up and down. These days you have to go through all this nonsense about liquids and shoes and taking your belt off... I remember standing in Gatwick in a huge queue whilst "security" staff came along and made sure everyone put the bottles of water and juice that they'd just bought in the adjacent WH Smiths on the concourse into a big bin. The bin was right beside the queue. "Why do we have to put our water in the bin?" I asked. "Well sir, it might be a bomb." "If that's the case, isn't it a bit dangerous to put all those bombs in a big bin right beside where we're standing?" I asked. "lol sir". :roll: Load of old bollocks.

I'm not sure where you have got this from, from someone else or through you're own doing, but it's absolutely incorrect. Irish Rail allow ticket purchases 60 days in advance, UK TOCs 3 months. Furthermore, I've been offered a through ticket from London to Belfast via Dublin for the start of June, for £58 (through Arriva Trains Wales). Even in my personal experience of booking tickets on either the Belfast or Dublin routes, only days in advance, I've never had any problems..

OK, I am pleased to see this has improved - as recently as 2 years ago, Irish Rail would not sell tickets more than 28 days in advance. I see they're now doing it 60 days in advance. This is good progress.:)
As recently as last Autumn, Arriva Fails Wales SailRail through ticketing was still completely broken, with Irish Rail tickets still not appearing on their system until weeks after Irish Rail had released them, so if you used the Journey Planner on nationalrail.co.uk, it would tell you no journeys were available. You'd then get embroiled in ringing up Arriva's Indian call centre and speaking to people who thought Glasgow was in Ireland. If this has been fixed, it's not inconceivable it's down to the written complaint I filed with Arriva, which did indeed get a response along the lines of "oh! yes, you're quite right, it's completely broken! lol! We'd better fix that, sorry there" :roll:

Do you have something against buses?
Well I prefer travelling by train, as you get more leg room, less motion sickness, a better view and it's quicker for everyone to get on and off. Does that make me bad? :)

Has it ever taken you that long? It has never taken me more than 70-75 minutes.?

Yes, it has taken me that long (that's why I posted saying it had taken me that long:idea:) It was in the dark, in the rain, stuck behind slow moving cars. We actually missed our ferry sailing and had to be put on the next one (!) Luckily it is Stena's own coach, so they let us get the next one.

It's just as well then that not everyone is trying to get on at the same time. It's also convienient that there's 20-30 minutes between the train/boat arriving and the coach leaving for this to happen.?

That's PRECISELY why the "get the bus from Ayr" thing is so shambolic! Ayr's passenger facilities consist of one slatted metal "three arse bench" beside the ticket desks. I think there may also be a vending machine selling coke and mars bars. All ferry passengers have to get off at Ayr, and stand around for 20 mins / half a hour until the coach arrives... we then have to stand in the carpark and spend another 20 mins slinging our bags in the boot and clambering on one at a time.

There are six trains a day to Stranraer, and most of them aren't even direct from Glasgow..

Well this is another part of the shambles! Up until a few years ago, passengers coming from the south could change at Carlisle and get a connecting train to Stranraer. Now you have to go all the way up to Glasgow to come all the way back down again, only getting off half way at Ayr onto a bus!:-x

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The trains to Ayr seemed more designed for short urban hops, rather than national or international journeys between Scotland's biggest city and an airport and ferryport (where passengers will typically have several kilos of luggage). They had smallish metal seats

Smallish metal seats? Really? (I haven't been on those trains myself)

They are, of course, not designed for international travel, but for short hops, which is what the vast majority of passengers will be doing.

What I find exasperating is that the total SailRail time can be close to 16 hours, and about half that extra time compared to flying comes from dicking about getting between Glasgow and the ferryport, because both the road and rail links between Glasgow and the ferryport are orders of magnitude worse than the other legs.

The links are not really designed for foot passengers, particularly those from as far away as the south coast of England,

The ferry links are meant primarily for freight and car traffic. Foot passengers are of very little concern to Stena, as has already been stated, and I read in the latest edition of Ships magazine that their Irish Sea operations are loss making.

So it;s perhaps understandable that improving the journey time between Belfast and Brighton for foot passengers is not very high on the agenda at present!

Fundamentally, because it is daftly brainwrong to obliterate the rail connection to the ferry port whilst claiming you are "upgrading it" for "faster sailings", and the shambolic inability for sail and rail companies to schedule connecting services turns what should be a cheap alternative to flying (approaching 1/3rd of the price but only taking about twice as long) into something that takes 3 or 4 times as long.

You seem to be convinced that sail and rail is important. The lo cost airlines basically destroyed the market in the early noughties. Stena have had to try and improve their services for their core market, and foot passenger are not their core market, sorry.

There is something fundamentally broken about a national transport system which means it is cheaper and quicker for me to fly to, say, Istanbul or Latvia than it is for me to get home to bloody Belfast at Xmas to see my folks.

I believe it's called market forces. And this is something that's been claimed regularly since the lo cost airlines first appeared on the scene.

OK, I am pleased to see this has improved - as recently as 2 years ago, Irish Rail would not sell tickets more than 28 days in advance. I see they're now doing it 60 days in advance. This is good progress.:)

Excellent, will you now consider the Dublin route?

As recently as last Autumn, Arriva Fails Wales SailRail through ticketing was still completely broken, with Irish Rail tickets still not appearing on their system until weeks after Irish Rail had released them, so if you used the Journey Planner on nationalrail.co.uk, it would tell you no journeys were available. You'd then get embroiled in ringing up Arriva's Indian call centre and speaking to people who thought Glasgow was in Ireland. If this has been fixed, it's not inconceivable it's down to the written complaint I filed with Arriva, which did indeed get a response along the lines of "oh! yes, you're quite right, it's completely broken! lol! We'd better fix that, sorry there" :roll:

It seemed to be working when I looked into a trip to Belfast recently, although I didn't actually get as far as making a booking.

Well I prefer travelling by train, as you get more leg room, less motion sickness, a better view and it's quicker for everyone to get on and off. Does that make me bad? :)

No, not at all, I prefer train travel myself. However, sometimes it's necessary to be pragmatic and take other forms of transport. If you're unhappy with the service, timings or whatever on the Cairnryan route, fly, take the coach, or go by train via Holyhead if that suits your needs better.

The first thing to do is to recognise that the traditional rail-sea-rail market is moribund. There is no real reason for any company, whether rail or sea based to try and make any improvements in this sector, as they will simply not get a return on the investment.

Similarly, no government is going to invest money in a tiny market segment. Any monies spent will, quite rightly, be spent to benefit the most people rather than the fewest.

I'm afraid that the bottom line is that you are in a very small minority!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
As recently as last Autumn, Arriva Fails Wales SailRail through ticketing was still completely broken, with Irish Rail tickets still not appearing on their system until weeks after Irish Rail had released them, so if you used the Journey Planner on nationalrail.co.uk, it would tell you no journeys were available.

Do you perhaps mean timetables rather than tickets? As in the new version of the Irish Rail timetable (following the Europe-wide timetable change in early December) was very late being loaded into the journey planner systems used by the British-based train companies? I think I noticed that too. The people to complain to about that would be ATOC/Rail Settlement Plan, not Arriva Trains Wales.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Do you perhaps mean timetables rather than tickets? As in the new version of the Irish Rail timetable (following the Europe-wide timetable change in early December) was very late being loaded into the journey planner systems used by the British-based train companies? I think I noticed that too. The people to complain to about that would be ATOC/Rail Settlement Plan, not Arriva Trains Wales.

The timetable changes across Europe inevitably cause problems for travellers as there is always a delay in timetables being uploaded and tickets being available.

The next one is on 14 June, I believe. Many railway administrations should have tickets on sale already for the new timetable, but don't. As a result, travellers can't book tickets as far ahead as they would like or are normally able to.

So, yes, it's probably something that was compeltely out of ATW's hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.